Should users be able to change their username?

Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.

Yes
31%
No
31%
Yes but not to anything too different it is confusing otherwise
38%

Total votes: 13

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok I have had a request from a member to change their username.

Could this get confusing if a trend of username starts, I mean people can and do change their avatars frequently and that seems to work out ok. I was not sure what to say about this one so am putting it to the vote.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

baldowrie
A selfsufficientish Regular

having had a situation myself where by I received attention that was unwanted and turned nasty I think that user names should be allowed to be changed, under the right circumstances.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eww! Fair enough! Not on ssish I hope.....

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, but...
Can me have a 'Formerly.....' underneath so that regulars know who they were for a while please?

baldowrie

Wombat

Eww! Fair enough! Not on ssish I hope.....
Certainly not! :shock:

Fee, trouble is that if you are changing your name for valid reasons to anounce it will defeat the object. I am sure the person who wishes to is capable of imforming any they feel they want to know about the change.

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm not sure...Why can't the person just create a new user and let the old one die? If it's cos of unwanted attention then I can't see why you'd want a link and if it's cos you've got a new interest/prime focus then it's not too difficult to tell everyone. Surely your number of posts isn't that important?! :roll:

Millymollymandy

I don't like it unless the name is really close to the original or an obvious one, because I've been confused by people changing their names on forums before and not saying anything about it.

I would have thought if there was a security problem then the admin of the forum should delete or ban the troublesome user, not need to change the username of the person who is having the problems. :? :scratch:

baldowrie

but it is also easy enough to put the orignal name into a search engine and find the person.......I am not the one who wishes to change my name by the way, just been on the receiving end of some consequences.

Clara

I don´t see why not.

Consider the situation whereby someone reveals something to the forum that for one reason or another they later regret. Wouldn´t it be better that they changed their name and continued to be part of the community, than shuffled off too embarassed to post anything else?

However, I think that a change is fine, but users should only be allowed one identity.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

chadspad

Consider the situation whereby someone reveals something to the forum that for one reason or another they later regret. Wouldn´t it be better that they changed their name and continued to be part of the community, than shuffled off too embarassed to post anything else?
But if they were a big enough part of the community they neednt feel embarrassed and should be able to tell their friends what the problem is instead of hiding as someone else. I dont like it personally, I see it as deceiptful in some way.
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Clara

I´m sure we all enjoy to some extent the anonymity of the internet. I fail to see what harm will be done.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm afraid i'm with M3, it is difficult to keep up with people if they change their names. I've been on a couple of different forums where people have regularly changed their names and it geets irritating after a while.

Whilst i also agree that there is the possibility of a problem with someone stalking a certain username/causing problems, i'd like to think that on here, someone could feel safe enough to PM one of the mods and explain the situation and the username causing problems so that a decision could be made.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with Fee, I would rather know what their previous name was, it could be attatched for a few weeks then after that just assume the new identity.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

wulf

If you change your name but keep your posts then most cyberstalkers will probably be able to make the connection.

I think it would be better to start with a new identity for a number of reasons:

1. If anonymity is required, it is much more likely if the trail is properly cut.

2. If it is just for vanity (someone decides they don't like the username they chose) it doesn't waste the time of Andy and other site admins.

3. If someone really wants to keep a link to their previous posts, they can always add "formerly known as ..." to their signature.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

red

how does it work - would it change the name on all the previous posts - just as the avater and signature line changes on all previous posts?

Jack changed his name by starting a new one and we all coped just fine (mind you he might be the one only who starts his posts with 'Ewe jokers')

I tend to agree with Wulf here
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog