Inactive sweeps?

Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.
Steven
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Inactive sweeps?

Hiya, I registered the name Steven this morning because Steve was already taken, 'Steve' registered on the 4th of February 2007 and is yet to make a post.

Everyone I know calls me Steve, as I was given the name by my elder brother who called me that after Steve Austin the six million dollar man :lol: anyway.. inactive sweeps would in my opinion be very handy, not only to help with this kind of situation I ran into, but also to let us all know who's really active members and who just registers names and leaves which is pretty selfish really.

At the moment there are 2566 total members but how many are inactive? i'm betting a fair percentage since I just had a quick look through the member list and noticed a large amount of people with a zero post count :scratch:

Regards, Steve

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Inactive sweeps?

The Mods and Admin are real people with jobs/children/lives and so we work on things when we get the time.
We are not paid and do this on a voluntary basis.
We also have background work to do on the forum to make it safer and nicer for all our users. Therefore, some things do get caught by the wayside and will get sorted when have some time to do it.

We are working on cleaning the members list, but we have to make all members aware first - to give them a chance to decide whether they wish to become an active member of the forum. Again, when we have some time, we will be working on this!

Bear with us!

Steven

Thanks for the quick reply, isn't there a script you can one click or auto does it's job? :scratch:

John Headstrong

when the forum was upgraded a few months ago there was a huge cull of "non activated" users, many where just spambots. there are about 50 "non activated" at the moment, some just a few days old the oldest being from the end of march, I will cull them at some point after I have rechecked them. While there are many users that do not post, many still do visit and have valid e-mail addresses. Posting in the forum is not compulsory requisite to membership.

Just last week a user requested their account details because they where last on the forum 2 years ago but wanted to join back in.

Usernames are on this forum, along with the rest of the internet, are on a first come first served basis.

Steven

Hi John, I understand exactly where you're coming from but still don't think it's fair, for example then, someone could register say 50 hotmail accounts, register 50 selfsufficientish orientated names and not use any of them in an attempt to spite people.

I guess that saying 'your sand your castle' springs to mind.
Just last week a user requested their account details because they where last on the forum 2 years ago but wanted to join back in.
If you forget your login details then imho after two years you shouldn't mind being swept since someone quite possibly wouldn't have registered that name in the meantime anyway and all they would need to do is re-register and maybe remember their login details this time :dontknow:

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think some people register just so they can do that view new posts thing etc.. they are not so interested in actually chatting. which is a real shame.. the more the merrier I think

bad luck on missing out on the name Steve - welcome anyway
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Steven

Thanks red :hello2:

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

There are ways around it I couldn't have Kelly so I chose KellyB you could have SSteve or Steve1 something like that then you are using the name you want with just 1 additional letter or number.

Steven

The name Kelly hasn't been registered. :wink:
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... searchuser

pumpy

Does it really matter?
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

It had when I joined clever clogs lol

Steven

pumpy wrote:Does it really matter?
Not really but it would be nice if you could get the name you wanted and not your sunday name.

So i'm guessing 'kelly' was either banned or inactive/not validated swept.

It's only usually my mum who calls me Steven but I guess I can live with it :bootyshake:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Or you could use your Surname.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Penny Lane

Or you could choose something totally different. I'm not actually called Penny Lane, or even Penny!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funnily enough, i'm not called Fee Fairy either.