Is this realistic ?

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Is this realistic ?

Hi I hope you can help/ advise me where to go for help.
I do not like putting my dog into kennels nor my cats into a cattery. I live a a beautiful rural location and would not be anxious about having strangers in my house whilst I am away.
Is it realistic to make this Free accommodation offer ?
As most of you know I also have three ponies. but I can get someone else to look after them if I had to. My proviso though is that I want the person to Live in the house not just use it while they go off all day. I want the dog to have company and walks and just frankly be treated fairly.

I had a very satisfactory agreement with my sister that worked well but she is too poorly now.

I have had an unsatisfactory sitter to stay once,( he too was a relative ) him his partner and two or three children. Apparently they were out all day sightseeing and because they ran out of money left a day early leaving my neighbours to keep an eye on things.

I can manage with the support I have. I have three friends who will work together to manage. They can work it out so that one friend stays here (but he gets up and goes to work at 6am and does not get back until 6pm). another will come in at lunch time and walk the dog and a third will get off the school bus at 3.30 and watch tv with the dog until 6pm .
So I am not stuck, but would like to share. Surely somebody skint would love to spend a fortnight in the country eating my food and using my fuel ?
Where would I look for such a family? Are there any web sites? thanks.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Is this realistic ?

I would think twice before leaving a stranger go free range in your home

You just can't be too carefull

references are a must
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks. I suppose if it is not via a straightforward referral or recommendation from someone you know, that would be important.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I can't offer any practical help, but I've heard of people who spend their lives house/pet sitting, so I'm sure it must be realistic. I'm not sure what kind of financial arrangements are generally made, though.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a company called Animal Aunts, which has been going for some while, I can remember when they set up as a small concern, they seem quite large now, but it would not be a free thing, but they must have reliable people. I have a friend who has boarded dogs in her home for years, she is all set up for it and they get two exciting walks a day, she has some really good walking places, isn't there someone like that where you live.

marshlander

Yes, Animal Aunt and yes, you have to pay them too.

Found several couples and singles offering House Sitting on Helpx http://www.helpx.net/
This is just an example;-
Meggan Kaiser Age: 26 couple
John Amory Age: 26
Now: Greece
Next Destination(s): ?

We are a couple who have recently left Jackson, Wyoming to explore the world. On this "tour," we're setting out to explore food, culture, and new experiences, and have been on the road since April 2012. So far, we've divided our time between volunteering on farms and gardens, house-sitting, and of course seeing the sights! You can check out Meggan's blog, www.chowgypsy.com, to see our journey thus far. Meggan has a degree in International Business and Spanish, but despite that she really just wants to work with food, and John uses his biology degree to further his passion for scuba diving and the great outdoors. Everywhere we go we try to bring our love and enthusiasm for good food, different cultures, and new experiences. As for what we're looking for with HelpX, Meggan is especially interested in food: whether it's how to grow it or how to cook it, she simply wants to gain a food education all over the world. John has similar interests, but also likes to work with his hands and learn any outdoor skills. We'd both like to learn different construction, restoration, and carpentry skills, and about any general ideas for sustainable living. Skills that we have learned and practiced at the farms we've volunteered include: -milking goats/cheese production -cooking for groups of 10+ -landscape gardening -general gardening (planting, weeding, etc) -animal care (poultry/fowl, cows, goats, horses, dogs, cats, reptiles, etc) -construction -olive picking -bread making -rabbit, goat, duck butchering -house/petsitting Some of our "real world" jobs included: -hotel concierge -all sorts of restaurant work (service and kitchen) -specialty grocer management -specialty foods distribution -ski/hockey instruction -social media/internet marketing

Self References:
-Le Ferme du Forsdoff, Missilac, France: Helped take care of pigs, sheep, rabbits, and dogs. Also did various tasks with landscape upkeep. http://www.lafermeduforsdoff.com/ -Julius & Joelle, Journiac, France: Helped with kitchen and ornamental gardens, landscaping, some cooking, and fence-building julius.white@free.fr -Nar's Organic, Kerpe, Turkey: Helped with upkeep of large permaculture farm, mostly planting and harvesting vegetables and cooking dinners for 6-12 people per night. bestekuscu@gmail.com Dilys Patten, Lakonia, Greece: House/pet sitting, three weeks. dilyspatten@yahoo.com
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

contadina

I'd also recommend helpx, but only consider people with references.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks everyone. Marshlander and Contradina :hugish: I looked up the Helpx and have posted my details. I do not know if I am visible yet but my Host number is 19047 . Keeping fingers crossed.
I also followed the thread that you recommended ( Marshlander) and have posted my details on another site mindmyhouse.
so for anyone else in my position- watch this space :wave:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you're thinking about going away in the summer and wouldn't mind an Isher, I'd be happy to help you out!

I've got a chihuahua mix who gets on with other dogs, would that be a problem? I love Tewkesbury and the surrounding areas and I'm too poor to go on holiday :wink:

flower_hercules
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51.21n
longitude: 02.27w

I have dog-sat for a family I clean for. The deal was I would be able to go to work (I mostly only work til 1pm) and pop out for a bit if needed, but I would walk the dog twice a day ,before work and early eve. and be there in the afternoon so she could hang out in the garden. They paid me £10/day coz I was dog walking, after all.

If you know anybody with a reliable part time house cleaner/gardener they might do it. (I would do it if I lived anywhere near you).