My cats are ganging up and attacking my dog!

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

My cats are ganging up and attacking my dog!

We've had Harry, a little Bichon Frise, for nearly two years and until 2 days ago Harry and our two cats seemed to rub along amicably enough. Then Wednesday I still had Harry on the lead from taking him for a walk, the cats were waiting in the conservatory at the back as we come in. While I was taking off my shoes both cats jumped on Harry all four feet, screeching and clawing totally unprovoked. Poor Harry cried and tried to hide under my legs but still the cats continued til I picked up the doormat and swished at the cats to get them off.

Yesterday they ambushed him in the garden til OH squished them with water. Harry was again terrified and I had to carry him indoors.This morning another ambush - waiting for him either side of the kitchen door. OH sprayed them with a plant mister.

Harry is now hiding under my armchair and refuses to come out even for treats.

The cats are sometimes bad tempered even with each other when they are waiting to be fed, but generally they've always been sweet natured. They are nine years old.

What has changed their attitude to Harry and how can I restore the previous peace? Stupid I know but I'm really upset by this.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My cats are ganging up and attacking my dog!

Is it that maybe the cats are getting a bit big for their boots?

I don't know the answer to getting them back to normal.

Maybe try taking the cats for a walk at the same time you walk the dog? Just to make them realise that they have much more freedom? (or is that over-personification?!)

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

How strange? Years ago we had a cat that suddenly started attacking our dog but there was a reason for that. She had four kittens and as they started being rehomed she assumed the dog was eating them and attacked on every opportunity. Have you changed your dogs shampoo or treated him with anything that would change his scent? Sounds like they are treating him as an intruder.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hmmm, asked my cats and they suggested that yours are trying to play with Harry. My cats play fight very rough. If you didn't know them you'd think they were trying to kill each other. Perhaps they assume that your dog will play rough with them?

Alternatively, could he be stealing their food? Maybe they're getting fed up with him taking advantage when your back is turned.

I can only suggest keeping up the plant mister every time they attack him. It's the best way of training a cat IMHO.

Zoe

marshlander

Thanks! Yes, I think it was a combo of all of the above. Harry has has a new groomer and was a bit perfumed for a while and I also realised that I allowed him to lay on my bed the other morning which has always been Gipsy's place.

Have paid extra attention to the cats. Also made a point of sharing treats equally and misting the cats if they step out of line. All quiet for a few days now, Harry and Poppy even shared the garden bench today.

btw Fee, The cats often come for a walk too if they feel like it which is a pain 'cos they don't seem to think it necessary to step aside for cars.
Terri x
Rebecca McKinsey

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

My tiny little dog seems to think that the nearest leaf is scary, the bugs on the floor are going to attack her, but cars...cars HAVE to be attacked...

Luckily, she's kept on a lead when we're out, so she can't reach them :iconbiggrin:

marshlander

and anyone riding a bike!
Terri x
Rebecca McKinsey