dog showing,agility? working?

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

dog showing,agility? working?

any of you in to it??
i show my dane ,
race my afghans,
i Cart with 1 of the afghans too..
i do obedience with my collies and the afghan, dane.
my mom shows her chinese cresteds... and obedience with the rotty..

to me, a happy dog, is one with a job, i cant stand these folk who think its ok to just walk their dog once a day, same route all the time., poor dogs must be going nuttss..

what activitys do you do with yours???

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: dog showing,agility? working?

Dont have a dog at the moment, but used to do agility with my border collie.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

I run just about every morning with my Border Collie, he wakes me up for it at 5.30am darn it ! We have several routes for weekdays, but both love the weekend and odd evening fell runs.

Previous dogs [he is no 3 of 4] have done agility and obedience which was fun. Def agree that they need to work, very smart animals. In fact he is so smart he gets to sleep on sofa all day while I am at work !
Sarah :flower:

giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

lol.. ahh you gotta love collies.. lol.. cant wait to get my new en.. shes only 3 weeks atm.. so.. AGES to wait.. poor thing her name is WHAT.. lol...
Sarah, my dane gets my mom up at 5am, OPPPSY.. lol

aussietail
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Well, we do Working Trials with our dogs - the ultimate for stretching their minds and bodies (and noses - lots of scent work) - and no, it's not rounding up sheep or retrieving game - that's sheep-dog trials and gun-dog trials.
This seems to be a little known sport (or things to do with your dog) - but be warned it can be addictive, and your family can catch it from you <grin>
I started with Working Trials about 15+ years ago, and my husband started after his early retirement about 6 years ago with a collie pup. I have worked (and played) with 2 Australian Shepherds, and after they both passed on, I have started again (April 2010) with another Aussie pup - my hubby has qualified in the top stake with his collie this year, and we hope to continue on for quite a few years yet.
I agree that there is nothing more boring than walking your dog around the local park or fields every day by the same route - ours like to run around and then we play with them doing retrieves, searches, sendaways, and tracking - although the tracking has got to be thought about more as the tracks can be laid and run almost immediately (as in the case of my young Aussie) and varied by being left and run after 3 hours (my hubby's collie is much more experienced).
Try to google Working Trials in the UK, if you want to know more about this doggy sport <grin>

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

my mum's got collies and does obidience, agility, flyball and gundog training. they love it, they go totally mental with excitment. one of them distroyed the inside of my mums car when she left him in there while she ran with the other dog. he ripped up all the seats and the doors and pulled the rubber seal off the window! :lol:

iv got a st bernard and we are much more laid back!
i take her out with me as much as possible. she likes to just plod along beside me when i take the kids to the park or for a walk round the town. i go jogging with her, when i can be bothered :roll: and i take her on walks up the mountain and to the lake to swim. in the summer we all go for the day to the lake to swim and take a picnic. she tries to steal other peoples picnics though, and the fishermens fish! its embaressing :?
i want to get a wee cart made for her that she can pull and the kids can sit in it, it'll be so cute! :iconbiggrin: she can take the fruit from the orchard to the farmers market for us. lots of people have horses/donkeys and carts here, but we'll have a dog and cart!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'