Make my own pasta?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

Make my own pasta?

Am considering doing this, so I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it, or does already make their own pasta. How easy or complicated is it? Expense, time to make etc. Any information would be appreciated.
I am Anti: Plastic, Palm Oil, Consumerism, Petrol, Diesel, Capitalism.
I am Pro: Nature, Make Do And Mend, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Fairtrade, Organic.

sususanan

Re: Make my own pasta?

Do use an egg recipe, that's pasta. If you try to save on eggs and use a recipe using water, it's just a dough, which is alright but might not pass through the pasta machine properly, assuming you're using one.
If you haven't got a pasta machine yet, make simple pasta ribbons and sheets by rolling and cutting and see how you get along with it. If you're happy making your own pasta and enjoy the results, you can then buy the machine knowing it's less likely to languish at the back of the kitchen cupboard after a couple of goes.

AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

This all came about as I'm trying to avoid plastic. There is pasta sold in cardboard boxes, but they are much more expensive, then I thought-why not make my own? I bake already anyway, and I'm now hoping to start growing some food. :-)

sususanan

It's easy enough to make, a bit of time is needed for the process though. You'll be used to kneading already, or if you've got a bread machine, can you knead pasta dough in it? We've seen a rise in pound shop places in recent years, will we soon be seeing a rise in popularity of the shops that sell foodstuffs loose from bins that you can weigh out yourself?

AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

Here's hoping! It would be nice to only buy what we need...but it doesn't really work for capitalism.

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I am sure capitalism will take care of itself - or not, but I don't know that anyone asked to sign up for that task. Most folk are frogmarched into service and then shackled in ways from which they cannot unbind themselves. Me? I buy "stuff" (from time to time) but I refuse to be a "consumer".

AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

BernardSmith wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:27 pm Most folk are frogmarched into service and then shackled in ways from which they cannot unbind themselves. Me? I buy "stuff" (from time to time) but I refuse to be a "consumer".
:iconbiggrin: Well said that man.