HELP have i still time to prune fruit trees and rasps

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
gunners71uk
A selfsufficientish Regular

HELP have i still time to prune fruit trees and rasps

ok i know im too later for cherrys and plums but have i time to prune other trees apples nuts raspberrys. i manage to split rhubarb the other week, im behind i know but not been well in the past and now getting to the point i can do stuff/ any advice would be gratefull recd i think if i get them done by the back of feb then. :cheers: i want to sow my onion seed and sweet peas in modules, its what i can get away with experience from you gardeners oppose to text book gardening cheers my friends.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: HELP have i still time to prune fruit trees and rasps

I wouldn't worry about the trees, gunners. They'll survive a few years without pruning, if necessary.

I think you might be too late for onion seeds (although someone else will be able to tell you better) but onion sets are fine if you are. The sweet peas should be fine though.

No need to rush at it all. Just take your time and do what you can.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo

Hi gunners
No need to panic - cherry and plum trees should be pruned early to mid summer along with other stone fruit trees so that job doesn't need to be done now.
Sweet peas you can do now up to April so there's an easy task to do. I'm about to do mine now. Mind it's sleeting so no hurry here either.
If your raspberry canes are autumn fruiting now is the time to prune them. If they are summer fruiting that's more difficult as you may well take off the new canes that will fruit this year so you might be as well to leave those till after fruiting and just give them a good weeding, feed and mulch then deal with them later in the year after a harvest.
You should be able to get away with sowing onion seed now if you do it sooner rather than later as the seed packets say up to March usually. A few onion sets from somewhere cheap like Wilkos (there are other cheap shops) as a back up would be a good idea just in case.

gunners71uk

thankyou flo yes onions it says end of march so i whack some in modules they just go in a unheated greenhouse they always do ok i did that last year onions sown 5 march caught others up lol thank you for all the advice :) yes a few sets good idea aand prune apple pears too :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: