Starting a container garden

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
jamesintayside
Tom Good
Tom Good

Starting a container garden

My garden is very small and laid to slabs (YUCK)

Can anyone suggest - what I can start growing in say the next week or so -

I want ideas for food items and yeah some flowers would be nice. Tips hints and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

James
my inspiration a great blog http://tinyallotment.wordpress.com/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Starting a container garden

The weather is warming up, you could sow most things now and they would catch up quite well. You could grow some early potatoes, they mature within about 60-90 days. Tomato plants you might need to buy in. Sow under cover, courgettes, runner beans (there are dwarf types suited to pots), dwarf french beans, cut and come again salads can be sown every few weeks to ensure a constant supply, cucumber crystal lemon is suited to outdoor growing and will climb up trellis, tuscan black kale is a great green, small leaves suited for salad and then allowed to grow on will produce tasty leaves for stir fries and eventually flowering shoots, herbs of all sorts can be bought cheaply, some need good drainage, others like mint like wetter conditions, say outside the back door. Somewhere I have a picture of my old front garden which was a demonstration of what could be grown in a small space, will have to dig it out