Building a plastic bottle fence...

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Pollyplaits74
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Building a plastic bottle fence...

One thing we have a lot of in our house is plastic bottles, so I was looking to recycle them into a funky Eco fence. While I can find tons of pictures of fancies online, I can't seem to find any instructions. Does anyone know the best way to go about this? It needs to look good enough that the neighbours don't moan!

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Building a plastic bottle fence...

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd certainly moan if any of those fences on that blog appeared next to me! The glass bottle ones don't look too bad but the plastic ones look rubbish and won't last long either.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Pollyplaits74
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I quite like the wall built with filled bottles, may keep that for dividing the garden, may have to keep to something a bit more conventional for the boundary fence though, don't want to set the neighbours off....

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

I do it to set my neighbours off
3th time now there cut my plants back well within a foot of my garden even the police can't do much about it :
:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Darn that Wabbit

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've seen two walls made out of glass bottles recently. One was the neighbour of the guy I bought my motorbike from. He'd set glass bottles in concrete around his drive. However he'd clipped one of them and now he has a nasty sharp and jagged hole which will hard to repair. The other was done by my sister and her partner who filled their bottles with sand before setting them in concrete. I think the theory is that they won't be so compressable and thus harder to break. But then again it's in a sunken garden not on their drive.
Malc

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Crickleymal wrote:I'd certainly moan if any of those fences on that blog appeared next to me! The glass bottle ones don't look too bad but the plastic ones look rubbish and won't last long either.
I only posted the link never said they were nice to look at :lol:
I'm kind of agreeing with you mind, the plastic ones do look naff for the amount of work involved'

Pete

Calum
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

How about making a compost bin with them? Could that work?

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

A possible problem is the longevity especially if exposed to large amounts of UV and the strength of the bottle which ain't great to start off with.
Malc

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

We built a greenhouse out of plastic bottles at school .... similar to this one:

http://ana-white.com/2011/04/plastic-bo ... uild-guide

We cut the bottles down and then threaded them onto garden canes that slotted into a wooden frame, if that makes sense? I can't seem to post our photos here but there's loads of stuff on the net if you just put plastic bottle greenhouse into your search box. I would imagine that the method for building one of the side panels would work for a fence. You do need to be careful about wind though ... I know another school where they built one on a more exposed site than ours and it collapsed in high wind.

Jill

IndigoGirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 59.698 32.100
longitude: -33.99496, 25.53500

They've started an initiative here in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, called 'The Eco Brick Exchange' - they're on FB if you want to take a look.
The idea is to fill the 2 litre bottles with non-biodegrable waste, eg. plastic bags, plastic cartons, etc. They estimate that each bottle takes approximately 500g of waste - which is great news!
Once these bottles are filled, cemented & plastered, the structures are incredibly stable & strong.
Usually these bottles are filled with sand...but I personally think this way is far better since it offers a solution to quite a bit of useless waste that causes quite a bit of nonsense in the landfills.
Also search 'eco brick urban benches' - another brilliant urban community project idea ;).

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think this is a good way to solve the problem of plastic bottle use, filling plastic bottles with more rubbish, the bottles are filled cemented an plastered!, so what happens when these walls fall down and there is a mess of cement, plastic bottles and other crap all over the place, it is just hiding the problem some more, it is not a solution in my opinion, just putting the problem off for another day

jamesintayside
Tom Good
Tom Good

IndigoGirl wrote:They've started an initiative here in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, called 'The Eco Brick Exchange' - they're on FB if you want to take a look.
The idea is to fill the 2 litre bottles with non-biodegrable waste, eg. plastic bags, plastic cartons, etc. They estimate that each bottle takes approximately 500g of waste - which is great news!
Once these bottles are filled, cemented & plastered, the structures are incredibly stable & strong.
Usually these bottles are filled with sand...but I personally think this way is far better since it offers a solution to quite a bit of useless waste that causes quite a bit of nonsense in the landfills.
Also search 'eco brick urban benches' - another brilliant urban community project idea ;).

I think that is a great idea - part re use and a lot about not having anything else to use or indeed conserving wood.
my inspiration a great blog http://tinyallotment.wordpress.com/