Dry Your Washing Without the Tumble Drier....

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
SouthernDave
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Dry Your Washing Without the Tumble Drier....

We got rid of our electricity guzzling, noisy, destructive tumble drier last year. But we needed a way to keep on top of our washing, and due t my work this can be quite heavy loads. Obviously at this time of year, Mother Nature does our drying for us on the rotary line, but during the winter?

Well we invested, nay gambled, on one of these:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry-Soo ... ower-Dryer

We bought it with the money gained from selling the tumbler. It uses hardly any electricity and dries clothes overnight. We have Economy Seven, so even cheaper as we plug this into the Eco7 socket which comes on and off automatically during the night and a full load generally dries overnight. We also have it in our spare room, which it keeps pleasantly warm during the winter months, saving us putting the heater on in there.

We used it all last winter and the wet start to the year and it has coped without problems and NOT missed our tumble drier at all. It may not suit everyone, but for us it worked beyond our expectations.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Dry Your Washing Without the Tumble Drier....

I've seen similar things on fleabay and wondered if they were any good. Nice to know, thanks.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

SouthernDave

I can only vouch for the one I linked, so don't be disappointed with a cheapy one off fleabay!! ;-)

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

we have an old fashoned clothes airer - and the landing bannister rail for big stuff, seems to dry pretty well overnight.
Alternatively i did see a sort of tent with netting sides that goes over a rotary dryer so stuff can dry outside.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

boboff

We have the Clothes dryer over the Woodburner, the one on ropes to pull up out the way, it will take two loads and will dry over night, it does poke you in the eye though, and drop pants on your head as you pass mind!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

boboff wrote:We have the Clothes dryer over the Woodburner, the one on ropes to pull up out the way, it will take two loads and will dry over night, it does poke you in the eye though, and drop pants on your head as you pass mind!
:lol:

I'm lucky enough to have a laundry room (aka a junk dumping ground) and a dehumidifier. They seem to work well enough between them. The dehumidifier does help to keep the room warm.

Zoe

nessnco

I have two clothes racks inside for wet days and a clothesline for clear days, my mother in law has a line in her carport.
"Life is as good as your attitude"

http://guidingchildren.blogspot.com/

noplasticbags
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'm really lucky to have a floor-to-ceiling glass conservatory - that and a clothes horse suffice, but in deep winter I still have to put it around the radiators.....

Confess to still using the tumble drier to soften the dried towels though!

Milims

Put my tumbler on freecycle after not using it for over a year, two years ago! We have a double washing line over the bath and a clothes horse as well as drying things over the bannisters for days when things can't be hung on the line - not bad for a family of 3 teenogres and two real people!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

If the weather is really good for drying outside it's worth turning the spin speed on your washing machine to it's minimum. Mother Nature will dry your washing and you'll save a bit of leccy :flower:

Marlo
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have a clotheline outside for summer drying. For winter, I use a wooden clothe rack that my Grandparents had when they moved into town in the 1940"s. I can't use it when I'm not home,though. The cats think I set it up for them to play on and the clothes wind up on the floor.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Living in the land of perpetual rain :iconbiggrin: we have a washing line in the garage for days that aren't particularly clement.
With the side door open as well there is always a nice through draught.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I also have a clothes drier that hangs over the rayburn, also had the odd sock land on my head though :roll:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

that_sarah_girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

I might have to invest in one of those!
Even though it's the middle of August we've had showers the last few days so we can't risk leaving the washing out all day to dry while me and my partner are at work. We're getting though tonnes of washing at the moment potty training the little one...

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thank you, You just made me feel guilty. I was sitting here nursing a bad back. I had managed to get the clothes into the washer and the wind is so fierce it is pushing the dog flap open. So you prompted me to get up (gingerly) and hang it out.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham