Storing potatoes

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

Storing potatoes

I would like some advice on the best way to store potatoes. Some websites say paper sacks and some same cardboard boxes through the summer and autumn. What is the best way to store them over winter?
I've got a brick shed in the garden which has ventilation and an electicity supply but no windows.
:scratch:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Storing potatoes

We store ours in hessian sacks in the shed. But I think as long as you make sure they're dry before you store them they should be OK anywhere that's dark and not damp.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

I stored mine over winter in those plastic foldable toy-box crates. You have to pick out the manky ones first (and use 'em), and check every few weeks in case any more go manky. problem this year was the very cold weather... those in the timber garage got frozen and turned to mush. Those in the brick shed didn't (brick = absorber of sunlight, solar gain, heatstore, kept the temperature just above freezing). We're still eating the "shed" potatoes.

StripyPixieSocks

Ours (from the farm) are muck covered and in large paper sacks and keep for ages :)

battybird

We begged potato sacks from the local greengrocer and stored ours in them in the shed. Luckily they were covered by a load of dustsheets too (by accident) which stopped them freezing. Still using them now. :cheers:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mine are in paper chicken feed bags, except for those in a wooden crate in the larder (apart from 3 largish potatoes languishing in hot fat in the oven right now, but I guess they won't be stored in there for long :lol: )
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Millymollymandy

We use feed sacks too and first of all put them in a cupboard in the downstairs bathroom which is the coolest place in the house and then move them to the garage as the house warms up and outside cools down in the autumn. Still have one big sackful of Desiree to go although they are sprouting rather a lot. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

PlainQB
Tom Good
Tom Good

The traditional way is clamping. In a fairly dry spot in the garden put down a thick layer of straw, about 10 inches. Gently rub the spuds with your hand to get the chunks of mud off but not so hard you damage the skins. Pile them up in a prymid and then put another layer of 10 inches or so of dry straw on top. Then put soil on top and pat it down with with a spade.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's a lot easier to get three or four for dinner if they are in a paper sack in the back of the garage though. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

PlainQB
Tom Good
Tom Good

This is very true Odsox.

jamjaragain
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

It doesn't matter (I don't think) if they're in sacks, boxes or trays, as long as they're cool, dark and - most importantly - mice free!