Get a good green?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Get a good green?

I've been researching plant dyes and I'm wondering what the best way is to get a nice mid green? Preferably without indigo, using more native plants? Also, anyone able to point me in the direction of any good blogs specific to this? I'm quite new to all this fibre processing stuff! :iconbiggrin:
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Get a good green?

Brod
Tom Good
Tom Good

My friend has done it before using a weld dye first, overdyed using woad. Depending on the strength of the dyes will give anything between a bright yellow-green up to a snooker table beize green.
“It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company.” - George Washington

red

sposed to be able to get a decent green with ivy berries - but it didn't work for us...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for the replies all! I want to try growing weld and woad if I can. Ivy berries eh? Need a copy of the out of print Jenny Dean book methinks :iconbiggrin:
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

red

apparantly its back in print again

also there is her blog http://www.jennydean.co.uk/wordpress/
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

YEY! Thanks, I've heard loads about it, been trying to get a copy of it but I think it got a bit more expensive on amazon and the like when it was out of print. I went to our local guild of weavers, spinners and dyers to find someone who could give advice on natural dyes but sadly they don't actually have anyone there now who dyes, the older ladies spin and the younger ones tend to tapestry weave. They did recommend this book though.