Tree fungus ID help needed [Solved]

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
1984jay
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Tree fungus ID help needed [Solved]

[Solved] Ganoderma applanatum

Sorry for the poor quality of this picture.

Can anyone identify this please?
Thank you in advance

Last edited by 1984jay on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: Tree fungus ID help needed

I'm going to hazard a guess at a polypore of some kind, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. Could you give us some more clues, such as what kind of tree it was growing on, and where in the world are you?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

1984jay
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Polypore yep. Thanks for the reply.

It was taken from a Beech tree, possibly of the Ganoderma family though finding the exact species or whether it's safe or not is proving quite difficult.

There's a species called Ganoderma Lucidum which has very beneficial medicinal properties apparently though can't find whether this version is inedible or not due to being toxic, or just beccause it has a bitter / rough texture.

Struggling

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

If you've already got as far as Ganoderma, I think it unlikely that anyone here will be able to do better on that basis of that photo. I may yet be proved wrong, though - there are more expert mushroomers than I around, and I'm sure one of them will be along before too long.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

1984jay
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Have updated the photo

Oink
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Tree fungus ID help needed (updated photo)

Hi there,

Zech was certainly right with this being a polypore.

1984jay you have definitely identified the genus correctly as Ganoderma.

As for the precise Ganoderma I would guess at two possibilities that are common on Beech in the UK.

We are perhaps looking at Ganoderma applanatum also known as the artists bracket. Simply scratch the underside witha sharp object and if it changes to a darker brown then you have your ID. Its well worth perusing the internet for artwork completed on this fungi as there are some beautiful pieces out there.

It could also be Ganoderma adspersum but without a better photograph and spores I cannot say with any certainty.

The Ganodermas are interesting as certain members like Ganoderma Lucidum do indeed have medicinal properties and it is drunk as a coffee substitute.

As for edibility, in general it is my understanding that many Ganoderma are not poisonous, but are considered inedible due to how tough they are. I wouldn't eat it for this reason, and there are just so many other beautiful edible fungi around at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Oink :icon_smile:

1984jay
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for the reply Oink :)

Artists bracket are what my results have came up with though most of the pictures show a lighter brown colour of that. This one has almost rings around it of different shades. It does certainly turn dark brown when scored though.

I haven't found any info saying any of the species are poisonous though I'm very reluctant to try, even though they seem to boast such goodness.

I've asked this on another forum but, being a parasite, is it good to remove this from the tree? And if so how should I do that? Not sure how deep fungi grow inside the tree.

Oink
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

All I can say re removing bracket fungus is this.

If you have a recipe for Ganoderma then please be certain you are picking the correct species. A mistake may not be pleasant!

I pick chicken of the woods, young birch polypore, beefsteak fungus and dryads saddle. I eat the lot. Do I worry about the tree? NO!

I don't worry because if the fungus has already infected the tree or if the tree is dying, it is too late. I'm also not concerned because unless you strip a ring around the whole trees circumference a healthy tree will cope with some bark loss.

I REPEAT - Be certain you have the correct species AND a recipe. Drinks and tinctures from Ganoderma are easy enough to buy out there.

Take care,

Oink. :icon_smile:

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

To add to Oink's informative posts...

...remember the bit we see and recognise as a fungus is meerly the fruiting body, the main substance of the fungus is in the form of mycelia within the fungus's food supply, in this case the wood of the tree

just removing the bracket will not remove the fungus from the tree

Severe pruning may be required, cutting back to un infected wood
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Oink
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Tree fungus ID help needed [Solved]

I'm with Doofaloofa on this matter..... :icon_smile:

doofaloofa

I concur with Oink
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

1984jay
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

From a Horticulturists perspective though I'm thinking of the tree (even as a babe horticulturist) though someone foraging wouldn't be too concerned like you say Oink. However the infection isn't just bark level from what I understand, parasitic fungi rots the tree from the inside. Though appreciate your help, you've been very informative thanks.

Doofaloofa has it right I think when he says severe pruning may be required. From that, any tree would recover.