Fungus threatening my mushrooms cultivation

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
niquya
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Fungus threatening my mushrooms cultivation

Hey all,

I'm trying to grow mushrooms on wood chips outdoor. Everything was going well until recently, the mycelium was spreading and I was hopeful to get fruiting by the fall. However a few days ago this nasty-looking fungus started growing on the surface of the wood chips... I attach some picture. Also it generally starts to grow white and then turns brown as in the picture, and sends a smoke plumes (of spores I suppose) when disturbed. Anyone knows what that is ? and how to get rid of it ? Was thinking to use some sort of flame-thrower all over the surface to kill these while my mushroom mycelium would be protected deeper in the chips.

Thanks !
Yannick
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (204.14 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (221.23 KiB) Viewed 6794 times

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Re: Fungus threatening my mushrooms cultivation

It looks to me like a variety of slime mould fruiting bodies (stemonitis) they usually only set spores when all the nutrients have been extracted from the substrate (and they can feed on the mycelium of mushrooms).

I would hazard a guess and say that it has killed off your mushroom mycelium and usurped it's place.

Slime mould isn't technically a fungi, it's a protozoa. It still hasn't got an official classification in the animal/vegetable kingdom.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :pale:
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Fungus threatening my mushrooms cultivation

Looks like an alien invader to me. Glad I didn't find it. Good luck getting rid of it.

Zoe