Non smoker with a cough!

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Non smoker with a cough!

Hi all,
I developed a phlegmy cough just over 2 weeks ago.It mainly got worse at night time,and when waking up,I am coughing up a lot of phlegm.After a few days,I went to see my doctor,who admitted not knowing whether whether it was viral or bacterial but gave me a script for antibiotics.It was enough for a week,and I ensured I took the whole course.My cough eased,and for a couple of days,I felt pretty good.But.....after 3 days of no antibiotics,the cough has returned.I seem to also have a lot of mucous in my nose,so constantly blowing my nose.I have been coughing to the point I am nearly vomiting :( Ive now had to take two days off work.Im doing inhalations with olbas oil,and taking garlic but is there anything else I can do?Im reluctant to go back to the doc's but is that my only option?Hoping someone in perhaps the alternative medical field can offer me some advice please?TIA

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Non smoker with a cough!

I wonder if you have some kind of sinus problem, which would be why things get worse at night, rather than it being something on your chest, it is coming down from your sinuses and pooling in your throat. One thing that has helped the other half is a product called capsinol based on chilli, you can find it on Ebay, Amazon or direct from them in Holland

contadina

A sinus problem or possibly an allergy might be the cause. My husband suffers from chronic phlegm owing to allergies and finds that cutting out dairy for a bit to lesson the amount of mucus production and taking a hayfever allergy tablet on days when he's really bad help a lot. There are sensible home remedy suggestions here too http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-r ... hlegm.html

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It might be worth giving up dairy for a few days, which might help. Most Eastern medical teachings say it increases mucous production (so even if it isn't the cause of any of this its withdrawal may help alleviate it).

As for a cough syrup I like good old hot honey and lemon. It works wonders, especially if you can get some raw honey, which has very good anti-microbial properties. Or just take a spoonful of honey for a bad coughing fit.

Can you get hold of any essential oils (from a reputable source)? One drop of red thyme (Thymus vulgaris thymol) added to a bottle of mineral water, sipped throughout the day is fantastic for warding off or healing up any sort of upper respiratory tract infection. Just remember to shake the bottle before you take a sip. And a couple of drops of lavender on your pillow will help soothe as well as aid sleep. With essential oils less is definitely more, so don't be tempted to add extra.

Finally, you need plenty of fluids and herbal teas will help - sage, oregano or thyme will be most helpful. You could always add your lemon and honey to them.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

Green Aura wrote:As for a cough syrup I like good old hot honey and lemon. It works wonders, especially if you can get some raw honey, which has very good anti-microbial properties. Or just take a spoonful of honey for a bad coughing fit.
I find honey and onion works even better - and no, it doesn't taste quite as horrible as it sounds! Finely sliced onion, cover with honey, use resulting liquid by the teaspoon full.

Oh, and if the throat is rough as well (which it may well be after all that coughing), sage tea is good. Seems to be difficult to get in the good old UK, though (which is why I now grow my own).
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

A book I have recently read (Kitchen Medicine by Julie Bruton Seal & Matthew Seal) recommends star anise tea for sinus problems - 2 or 3 star anise in a mug, fill with boiling water, cover the top of the mug with a saucer to stop the steam escaping, steep for 5 minutes or so. Apparently the active ingredient of Tamiflu is extracted from star anise.
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

happyhippy

Wow thankyou for all your suggestions.Apologies for the late reply.I am keeping those suggestions though for future reference.Thankyou all,really appreciate it.