Anyone else poo-less?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Anyone else poo-less?

As part of my 'stop giving lots of money to L**h when you could make a better version yourself' campaign, I have given up shampoo. It's a one person campaign, but going well so far.

I was going to have a go at making my own. In fact, I tried a shampoo bar, which came out just okay. While looking for recipes I came across a few articles on giving up shampoo and as I wasn't overly impressed with my own attempt, today I went into the shower armed with a cup of bicarb and warm water, as well as a vinegar conditioning rinse.

Now my hair isn't completely dry yet, but feels okay. I can tie my hair up if I need to.

Anyone else tried this? I've read it takes about a week til you see the results. My hair is thin, but lots of it and it gets greasy very, very quickly. Would love it if this improves my hair's condition.

Please excuse any spelling mistakes and such, my 6 month old is trying to help me type this.

Vickyx

sarahturner
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 53.7333
longitude: -2.4000

Re: Anyone else poo-less?

I tried that a couple of years ago. I found it was great for my hair and left it in great condition. I would have carried on but a new full time job meant my time was very pushed along with a new allotment, so I resorted to the bottle again!! :drunken:

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular

I haven't used anything other than plain old water and a very occasional vinegar rinse on my hair for the best part of 20 years. Getting through the first month or so is the tough bit...

I did have very greasy hair back when I was using shampoo, but not since I quit, and I only wash it once a week. Seems fine to me...
Cheers

Dunc

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

I thought this might be about compost toilets....

Anyway, I just use a tiny bit of a biodegradable washing up liquid. Just enough to clean the hair - and I have plenty - way less than a teaspoon, rinsed, followed by a vinegar spray with tea tree oil, rinse.

I do get dandruff occasionally so I'm going to try your method, CCG. What exactly did you do?
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not a problem I really experience. Just a quick polish now and again.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

baldybloke wrote:Not a problem I really experience. Just a quick polish now and again.
There I was trying to work out how you keep all those lovely long curls so shiny :lol:

Zoe

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thomzo wrote:
baldybloke wrote:Not a problem I really experience. Just a quick polish now and again.
There I was trying to work out how you keep all those lovely long curls so shiny :lol:

Zoe
Now that would be telling!!
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

Rosendula

I'm poo-less.

I first tried it a few years ago, washing only with plain water. I was going through a particularly stressful time in my life so I thought that would be a good time to try it - with everyone around me knowing I what I was going through, they would be less likely to say anything that might upset me :wink: . I had always had really greasy hair, washing it every other day and wearing it tied back on the days I didn't wash it, so this was a big challenge for me. When it got greasy (after I decided to give up the 'poo), I tried 'dry shampooing' it with fuller's earth. That worked for a couple of days, then I did it again. Unfortunately, fuller's earth leaves my hair feeling quite stiff and it wasn't washing out with plain water, and after several weeks I was at the stage where I couldn't even get my fingers in my hair. It was awful. So I gave in and used shampoo. Strangely, I only used a tiny bit of shampoo and all the gunk and grease came out. After that I had to go back to washing it every other day :(

Then, a few months ago, I decided to give it another try and did a bit of reading up. I also found the information about bicarb for shampoo and vinegar for the rinse, and so that is what I tried. The very first time I tried it my hair was so soft and bouncy afterwards - the best it's ever been. Now, I use bicarb and vinegar once a week, and a mixture of fuller's earth and talc half way through the week (talc on it's own makes it go all fly-away). It's working a treat, although I have to say, because I am in that lovely position of being able to stay home rather than doing paid work, it doesn't really matter too much if I do look a bit messy on the days I don't plan on seeing anyone. :wink:
Rosey xx

wildbee
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've been experimenting with different 'poo free hair washing methods for about a year but am still not 100% satisfied.

First thing I tried was soap nut juice which worked okish but was hard to apply being runny and not much lather. I didn't want to buy tons of the things just for my hair so only did it once that way. I use a synchrometer tested a liquid soap for household cleaning and gave that a go on my hair but it didn't really work, it's not great at dealing with grease so I had to wash and rinse twice each time. The results from using bicarb were ok but thought it was a bit of a bother to apply, the vinegar rinses made my hair feel great though.

At the moment bf and I use ghassoul clay but get different results. I was very impressed the first time I used it but it's not working anymore, bfs hair looks and feels great though and he's happy not to be using chemicals at last. I suspect I am not using enough because it's expensive (£15 worth has lasted two months) so I'm going to give the bicarb another go.

gregorach, I've heard quite a few people say hair can keep itself clean after a few months and yours certainly looks good.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

greenorelse wrote:I thought this might be about compost toilets....

Anyway, I just use a tiny bit of a biodegradable washing up liquid. Just enough to clean the hair - and I have plenty - way less than a teaspoon, rinsed, followed by a vinegar spray with tea tree oil, rinse.

I do get dandruff occasionally so I'm going to try your method, CCG. What exactly did you do?
I put one tablespoon of bicarb into a cup of warm water, stirred and left it for half an hour. Then wet my hair in the shower and massaged it in, rinsing with warm water after. I used a vinegar, rosemary and tea tree rinse afterwards for the conditioner. Feels all right this morning, My fringe is a bit greasy though. It was very easy so I'll keep up with it for a bit and see what happens. :flower:

gregorach

wildbee wrote:gregorach, I've heard quite a few people say hair can keep itself clean after a few months and yours certainly looks good.
Why thank you! :icon_smile:

It's getting through the transition period that's the problem. If you want to move to just using water, your hair's going to be pretty horrible for at least 6 weeks, and it takes several months to get properly settled down. I did it when I had a hideous factory job which involved 12hr nightshifts, 6 or 7 days a week, with my hair in a bun, in a hairnet, under a hard hat... So I really didn't give a stuff what sort of condition it was in. :wink:

These days I can get soap on it occasionally without upsetting the balance.
Cheers

Dunc

Keaniebean

I tried this a couple of years ago, but I have very fine and thin hair which gets greasy and I have to wash it every day. I persevered for about 6 weeks as I really wanted to do it, but it always just looked greasy.
Then I thought it would be a good idea to put dreads in my hair,so I wouldn't have to wash it, but that looked pretty rubbish too and after another 18 months or so I cut them all off.

I just use shampoo now, but I know lots of people do succeed, so good luck.
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Mabu

I came in here ready to recommend you all a good probiotic!

I haven't washed my hair in 2 years, it is thick and long and when I used shampoo it was always dandruffy, itchy and troublesome. The first two weeks without shampoo were bad, my hair was greasy and I could stick it up in a clump about 8" above my head. After that it started to normalise and I have had lush brown locks with good bounce and few knots ever since! The problem most people have is that damn low fat diet they follow. Shampoo forces all the fats and moisture from your hair and scalp replacing it all with chemicals and such. When you stop using it your body forces all the fats and moisture into that area to re-establish, it can take a while to sort itself out and you really need to help it do that by eating lots of olive oil, butter, coconut oil. Coconut does wonder for skin and hair.

-Wash with clean, warm (NOT hot) water every day for the first two weeks.
-Eat lots of coconut oil.
-Do not use hair products.
-Keep all soap away from your head area.
-Drink plenty of water.
-Avoid "vegetable" and "sunflower" oils.

If you do these things there is no reason you should not be able to go without shampoo. It works just as well for your skin too.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oh, no low fat diets here, I love Julia Child too much. I'm supposed to as I have gallstones, but since cutting out processed fats and oils (as well as coffee) it's been fine.

Well, it's been 5 days since I last washed my hair with shampoo and although my hair is a little greasy and tangled, it isn't as much as I expected. My hair is fine but there's lots of it and gets greasy very quickly, so it's just behaving as it does the day after being washed with shampoo.

Mabu

That's really great to hear Chickenchargrill, I hope you keep us all updated so I can be proven right or wrong! Does your hair smell at all?