'no poo'

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Greenbeast
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: 'no poo'

i've been using just water for 7 months now. once past the transition period its been great, feel nice and looks good (apparently)

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

But how long is the transition period? I work in a fairly conservative office job and couldn't turn up for a month with greaswy hair. Is it likely to be somehting I could get into within say a two week holiday or similar? I'd love to be shampoo free. I did the bicarb thing but eventually my scalp itched terribly and the only thing I can find to ease it is T gel.

Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Thats my trouble Cassiepod. I tried using a shampoo from green people are after about 2 washed my head was so itchy I had to go back to head and sholders. It took my scalp and hair several months to recover!! I just can bear having an ichy scalp. I had danfduff as well which quite frankly is just not socially acceptable (or personaly acceptable!)

Greenbeast

its tricky to say, i think it varies wildly from person to person.

I have short male hair and it probably took a month or so

Clarry
Tom Good
Tom Good

I switched to using bicarb a couple of weeks ago and I wish I'd tried it sooner.
In the past I tried shampoo bars by L*SH but just ended up with a really itchy head and matted hair.

My hair has been super greasy for years (wash in the morning, greasy by the evening) and I tried to only wash it every other day -yuk!

However since making the switch I have washed my hair twice - after 2 days the 1st time and 3 days the 2nd. This is the least greasy my hair has ever been!
Only time will tell if it works for me long term but so far, so good!

:cheers:

Ron and Jean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I hadn't thought of Bicarb, but rosemary vinegar as a hair rinse works well for greasy hair. Chamomile tea is also great as a conditioner, especially for blondes. I use Henna regularly and my hair is always fab after and needs a lot less washing just after I have used it.

I stopped washing my hair a few years ago when I was travelling. It took 3 months in total to be completely OK, but the frist month was the worst. I think that applying a clay wash, letting it dry a bit and then rinsing it would help in this initial stage. The grease would binds to the clay and be rinsed off in the shower. I now am back to washing my hair again, but if I was to experiment again I would use clay powder. (It also works wonders for greasy skin...)

I have never washed my children's hair and you would never know. Other mums are always really surprised when they find out.

If anyone does experiment with clay I would love to hear how it goes...

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cassiepod wrote:But how long is the transition period? I work in a fairly conservative office job and couldn't turn up for a month with greaswy hair. Is it likely to be somehting I could get into within say a two week holiday or similar? I'd love to be shampoo free. I did the bicarb thing but eventually my scalp itched terribly and the only thing I can find to ease it is T gel.
mine took about 3 weeks to settle and stop itching/flaking