Cold Feet

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cold Feet

I cant seem to keep my feet warm,warm socks and moccasin slippers dont seem to be enough and I often get cold feet outside as well even in sensible shoes.The absolute worst is freezing cold but sweating feet ,this has not happened as much since I got middle aged . How do you all keep your feet warm out there in "ish land". maybe I should have asked for 101 ways to keep feet warm

Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Cold Feet

Cold in Worcester? That's my home city and I always think of it as warm and sunny (and occasionally very wet when the rivers flooded)!

I bought some wonderful very thin silk socks online from the USA. The have toes in and once you have fiddled around getting them on they are toasty. Thin enough to be able to put thicker ones on top too. I also have a pattern somewhere for some socks made from an old fleece jacket with a knitted rib. If I can find it (it's more of a cutting diagram really) I'll see if I can scan it in. These are great inside boots.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Your feet are on the end of long legs and the blood looses heat all the way along them. Keep your legs warm and you will keep your whole body warm.

Longjohns or tights under your trousers will keep your feet warm

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Clara

A temporary fix, but me and the mini-me have currently got our feet in a bowl of hot water with a few drops of ginger oil, flicking through yoga magazines (though that bit is optional).
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

pumpy

Hi, tiggy. I don't want to be a doom-merchant, but i have the same thing, which has been diagnosed as Reynauds disease, (a extreme reaction to temperature change, affecting the hands & feet). In extreme cases,it can be very painful, but can be alleiviated by wearing socks/gloves with built-in heating elements. It may be worth a visit to the quacks, just for re-assurance.(A tell-tale sign,is broken veins just beneath the skin surface). Hopefully you will be O.K. Andrew.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Currently I'm wearing thermal motorcycle socks (long ones) and furry-fabric-slipper-boots (a Yule gift last year) so far so good.
I'm planning felt boots though as it seems they are worn in some very cold parts of the world, just have to get better at the feltmaking process.
If you have constantly cold feet - even when indoors then it may well be a good plan to speak to your GP about it
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Millymollymandy

I've always suffered from cold feet (and hands) and I get cold legs in winter too - which is not surprising considering the rest of my body is covered in layers yet my poor old legs have only thin denim covering them!

I've been a lot warmer since I bought knee high woollen socks - it makes a huge difference not having that patch of bare skin between the tops of ankle socks and bottom of your trousers. I'm much warmer outside in them too. When it is really cold I wear long johns under my jeans too. I don't care about fashion as long as I am warm (well no-one can see my long johns but they are very funny as they are men's ones with a 'pouch' which makes me giggle. :lol: )
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have revived that 80s thing , Leg warmers . I fold them double to keep my ankles warm which helps a bit but I do think maybe it is a circulation issue.Long johns from m&s are OK outside but when I go in and out of a very hot boat cabin I overheat when indoors,same applies to out and about on my bike or walking ,.as soon as I go in a shop I start to get too hot. It sort of seems like my temperature regulation does not work very well.All your replies have been helpfull and I will try all the suggestions. Off to put my feet in warm water and then I will sit with them up and wrapped in a blanket. Worcester this morning was all white with frost, we have had a lot of frost this year already and earlier than expected.Halesowen where I keep the boat may well be even colder as it is much higher,the canal does freeze over with prolonged frosty weather

Graye

Aw... I miss it.... Not that it is any warmer in the Dordogne at the moment, frosty and dull. Whoever said it's warmer in southern France has to be kidding me! On the other hand I've been watching Look North on UK TV this last few nights and seen the snow on the North York Moors. Now THAT looks familiar! And if I think hard I can remember trying to battle across the Whitby town bridge with the wind whipping up the estuary from the North Sea. When we moved there I wondered why the locals always cross on the upriver side of the bridge in winter. It's so crowded while the other side is free of people. I soon discovered it was because it's safer to be blown against the railings than into the road, which is very likely on the other side. Seven more weeks and we'll be back for several months. I'm looking forward to it (and that's genuine!).

I've found the fleecy socks pattern and instructions and I'll post it in the Look What I Made bit once I'e scanned things in.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!