Norovirus

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular

Norovirus

My mother (who is generally a very fit 80 year old who lives alone in the UK) has just been telling me that she has contracted the Norovirus via her sister in law whose very elderly mother is in hospital. My Mom loathes having to go to the doctor so she must have been feeling really ill and sorry for herself to have done so and not to have come up with some form of self-treatment herself. She is really keen on natural and/or homeopathic treatments rather than prescription drugs. From what I can see online there is really nothing much the doctor can prescribe to relieve the symptoms so I want to suggest things which will help her get over it once it has run its course and also things to eat and/or take now to make life easier for her. Any suggestions please?
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

StripyPixieSocks

Re: Norovirus

Is it actually the Norovirus though?

Alot of people seem to think they have it and actually only have a mild stomach bug or food poisoning.

There is no treatment for the Norovirus other than to let it run it's course which is usually between 24 and 36 hours. Keeping your fluid levels up are of utmost importance during this time.

If she is 80 years old I would HIGHLY suggest you get her medical help because if it is the Norovirus she may be in need of medical assistance as this is a very unforgiving bug fit or not!!

My ex was a nurse and I have seen the effects of the Norovirus when it hit the ward he was working on and it is quite violently different from what most people have when they think they have the virus!

Graye

It is according to the doctor. My niece and I managed to put enough pressure on her to go along and see the practice nurse who referred her to one of the doctors there. Apparently the local hospital (where the very elderly relative is staying at the moment) has a serious outbreak at present too.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

What a worry! I hope that she soon recovers. :flower: