Arthritis pains

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular

Arthritis pains

Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:45 pm

My OH had a cycling accident about 15 years ago which left him with serious nerve damage to his back, neck problems and a paralysed right arm for 6 months. The original diagnosis was permanent paralysis of the arm but, with an awful lot of physiotherapy and sheer determination he managed to get it back in to full working order. He was at that time a professional guitarist so it was just as well!

His neck and back still give him problems but this is usually sorted out with a trip to the chiropractor. He is now suffering with severe arthritis pains in his right elbow. So far we appear to have held the worst symptoms at bay with large doses of glucosamine and cod liver oil. He has a good diet, is slim and has lots of exercise. He resorts to painkillers occasionally but would prefer not to. Does anyone have any other alternative, natural or homeopathic remedies they could suggest please?
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

invisiblepiper

Re: Arthritis pains

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:00 am

Hi - check the internet for advice from Jan de Vries - he is a naturopath/oteopath who works from here and Holland - with much success. I'll se if I can find anything local tomorrow for you, as he has a base in our town. :study:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Rod in Japan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:07 am

I'm curious to know why your partner would prefer not to use painkillers. I sometimes have hip pains, and now I reach straight for the painkillers. I used to think it might damage my health, or was otherwise reprehensible, but I changed my mind on those points. Is there any specific reason that makes him generally averse to them?

ina

Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:42 am

For me, turmeric works better than painkillers and anti-inflammatories. Might be worth a try, I know of several people who use it. Half a teaspoon three times a day.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Graye

Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:50 am

Rod, he's not anti painkillers per se. He just feels that sometimes painkillers do their job too well. I agree with him because I have ostearthrosis in the lower spine and do whatever I can to do without the painkillers too. The pain is telling me I'm doing something wrong usually. I know that doesn't apply to all types of pain but I think it's probably a valid approach in these circumstances. He takes anti-inflammatory stuff sometimes which does the trick too.

I'm interested in the turmeric idea and will see what info I can find. How do you take it - in its powdered form? I'll also look up the guy in Holland later. Thanks..

ina

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:03 pm

Graye wrote: I'm interested in the turmeric idea and will see what info I can find. How do you take it - in its powdered form?
I just take the powder and wash it down with water. But you can get it as tablets - a lot more expensive that way; and some people mix it in something sweet, like jam, or into smoothies or so. Or just eat a lot of curries...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

sleepyowl

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:46 am

The Margaret Hill's Diet it has rather amazing effects my mum sould have been a bed ridden cripple by the time I hit senior school & although my mum has a load of other illnesses & disabilities now due to insufficient equipment in her place of work, her arthritis doesn't play up that much if at all.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:51 pm

When I was in Germany, an osteopath told me that arthritis pain comes from the body being too acidic. She said that going off sugar, meat, alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and tea would lessen the symptoms greatly. I still drink some black tea, but gave up the sugar. The times I have eaten meat, the difference was very palpable. So, it's veggies and fish for me. Alcohol and tobacco weren't in the picture anyway. I do miss coffee, but its effects are so uncomfortable that I'd rather feel well than drink the stuff.

I found that switching to organic dairy products helped tremendously. I buy raw, grass fed when I can. Some find that being vegan takes away the pains.

I'm on a high alkaline/low acid diet for a different health challenge, and find it helps my bones, too. I know several who have found that going wheat-free has helped them be free of joint and bone pain. I know someone who has happier bones from going completely gluten-free.

Other than that, lots of sleep, and regular, not too strenuous exercise. My long walks and Callanetics help me greatly.

When I keep consistent prayer/meditation times, that helps greatly, too!

I put a self-inflating air pad on top of my mattress. I use one from Thermarest. It's a luxury camping mattress. Very thin. It's not thick enough to pull out body heat and it's still enough to cushion my bones. I love the thing! I sleep more deeply, more restfully, and wake up feeling more rested, refreshed, and my bones don't creak or ache! (Yes, they ought to pay me.)

My mother recently bought an electric, adjustable, sleep number, air bed and loves it. The ability to control the firmness of the mattress and its being an air mattress, and adjustable, have given her better sleep than she's had in decades. My little air pad now costs $150. The price has been going down. Her fancy contraption costs many, many times more, depending on the model one buys.

I also take Vitamin E and no longer creak.

If I think of something else, I'll post more.

All the best to you!
Last edited by LBR on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graye

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:45 pm

Wow, great suggestions! Thanks everyone. I'll do a bit of research and try to come up with a regime for him. Giving up the wine may be a problem but most of the rest is probably quite easy for him.

bryony
Tom Good
Tom Good

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:43 pm

A 'using food as medicine' book I have recommends chilli to help relieve the pain- a particular drink, a heated up mix of chilli, coconut milk and white rum is worth a try. I have rheumatoid arthritis myself, which I use as an excuse to drink this! think the rum might be the main painkiller to be honest... :drunken:

Vammadopper
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:34 am

Hi
I would seriously give the gluten free thing a try - I had been on high dose pain killers for 2 years for aching joints - even fingers hurt. Drs had run various tests but all were 'inconclusive' so they put it down to a 'virus' which is the usual code for 'dunno' :roll: Arthritus is in the family - grandmother is house bound, mothers affected so it's a serious concern.

I eventually tried going gluten free and with in 4 days I was off the tablets and have now been off them for 3 months. I do on occasion have the odd relapse eating gluten ( you can't get decent GF bread so bacon sarnies are even more of a 'naughty' food! )

Franky Im still gobsmacked at the difference going GF has made to me.

HTH
Why be Normal?

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:27 pm

I've recently started taking MSM (a food supplement) and it has been a great help - I have arthritis in upper and lower back and various other joints

and if I forget to take them I know about it :?

Red wine, red meat (specifically beef) and also dairy foods have been mentioned as baddies in the fight against arthritis
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:12 pm

Snapdragon, I have read several things by folks who've gone vegan, to find their joint pains gone.

Vammadopper, I know several on strict gluten-free diets who say that the difference is that of night and day. I'm off wheat, oats, rye, spelt, millet, etc. for allergies. The test will come in the spring. I do feel better not eating them, and am hoping that after ten months of this regime, that I'll have few symptoms in when the pollen showers begin.

I also took Alexander technique lessons for about twenty-five years. This training has helped tremendously.

Goodness, there's always something about health, isn't there?

Shirley

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:18 pm

ina wrote:
Graye wrote: I'm interested in the turmeric idea and will see what info I can find. How do you take it - in its powdered form?
I just take the powder and wash it down with water. But you can get it as tablets - a lot more expensive that way; and some people mix it in something sweet, like jam, or into smoothies or so. Or just eat a lot of curries...
I tried this too, couldn't stomach it straight, or mixed with jam YUCK - I just added it to chutney or some other savoury and reasonably strong tasting food - and ate lots of curry too : :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:49 pm

I put the turmeric in cooked beans. I don't do it each day, but, perhaps ought to.