The Ish home haircut

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: The Ish home haircut

Wash hair then flip head forward and hang upside down.
Brush hair down straight.
Cut in a straight line to the length you want your fringe.
Flip head back.
Tah Dah - nice layered hair cut.

It eventually grows into a point at the back but if I'm fed up with that I get my other half to cut it straight for me.
The ends can get a wee bit tatty but I like that ponytail clockwise then anti-clockwise idea - might give it a go.

theabsinthefairy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Have cut and dyed my own hair for years as got fed up with hairdresser's doing a poor job and charging too much.

I usually get my hubbie to cut straight across the back for me, and to bring the length to just below my shoulders (easier for him as he can just comb it out when slightly damp and use the the chair back as a guide!)

Then I add layers and a fringe (if I feel like it or just let the old fringe grow out). Layers are really easy, just pull sections of your hair forward and cut a a 45 degree angle to your chin.

I would recommend proper hairdressing scissors and never never never use them to cut anything else (especially paper as this really blunts them) then only cost a fiver on ebay or in boots but you won't regret it, as they cut right to the tip of the blades and don't just mash the hair ends up.

For trimming split ends, and for a looser layer cut - twist sections of the hair and cut any bits that stick out, then run the blades of the scissors down the last inch or so the twisted hair, and it 'feather' cuts instead of the blunt edge cut that can look very amateurish.

When my hair has been really long and I have wanted to cut it really short (short of collar length), I took it forward into a ponytail on my forehead and cut it off there, and it gave a layered effect throughout all of the hair, as well as a fringe.

I trim my daughter's hair too, she has never been to the hairdresser's and it has been nearly 17 years since my hubbie had some one else cut his hair other than me, although it is easier now as I just run the trimmers over it!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I use dressmaking scissors too. I have a set, the smallest pair I only use for hair and have only ever used it for hair.

My hubby's hair is done the same way Ina described. Mine is done by J?ames. nothing fancy, he just goes round it tillit looks right. the last time I went to a hairdresser they messed up my hair so badly I had to get jim to sort it out anyway.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

red

kiery wrote:I hate going to the hairdressers!!! I can't justify spending all that money on a haircut I couldn't reproduce at home without industrial products and 3 hours ( I have quite curly coarse hair). After reading loads of books and searching on line I found a layered cut which works best for me-

Comb you hair and get a pair of hairdressing scissors

1. Put all your hair into a high ponytail on top of your head.

2. Twist the tail clockwise until you get right down to the ends and cut ( I just get rid of straggly /split ends).

3. Twist the tail anti-clockwise again right down to the ends and cut.

and that's it.

It works for me and my hair.
I like that idea.. I might do that next time
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Milims

I'm so gald it's not just me that hates going to the hairdressers. I too think that it's very over priced and they do a reallybad job - well most of the time - but I did go a couple of months ago and the hairdresser was really lovely with me and did a really good job. I must have been a nightmare customer for her - I went in for a dry trim, but because I wanted layers etc she said she'd have to do a cut and blow dry - I almost cried! :oops: The thought of having my hair washed there was almost too much for me. But she was very understanding and really boosted my confidence. It's silly really to be almost phobic about a hair cut - but look what happened to Samson! :wink: :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

There are lots of choices. I have tried all of the above DIY haircuts.

I have decide to let mine grow long enough so that I can just brush it to the front and look down at it, about waist length, and trim off the ends. That way I don't have to hold my arms up and turn myself into a pretzel in front of three mirrors. It ought to be there in another year. Meanwhile soft ponytails and grandma hairdos with hairpins.

Here's my perma-joke: "Hairdressers are like politicians. They tell you what they think you want to hear, take your money, and do what they wanted to, anyway."

Whether you spend $5 or $500 on a haircut, you'll wish it were different than the way it was done.

Easiest way is to trade haircuts with someone. I'm looking for a new haircut trading partner.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

mmmmmmmmmmmm hairpins. My best friend.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have long (waist length) hair and i ALWAYS without fail cut my own hair! I've had my auntie tidy it up once in the last couple of years.

I wash it and keep it went, then i comb it straight down and split it into two halves, vertically - like for bunches.

Then, i comb the hair so that it all lays flat on my shoulder and down my chest, then i run the first two fingers of my left hand down until about an inch before the ends. If you tip your head up, you'll get a V shape at the back - that's what i do, if you have your head straight, it will be a less pronounced V. If you tip your head forwards, it will be a shallow curve. When i#m happy with the length, i cut the hair across my fingers, so that its nearly straight. Then i repeat it on the other side. Then i compare the two sides in a mirror to make sure that they look straight and even.

Then, i flick my hair around a bit so that it lays more naturally, and then i tip my head forwards and let the front bits lay across my face. Then i hack at them so that i've got an inverted V coming towards my forehead. This layers the front, and, for me, keeps most of the damage down (i pull my hands through my hair all the time and damage the front most...).

I too hate hairdressers! I had hair this long when i started University. Then i went to a hairdresser and they cut off 'the damage' which amounted to something like 6" off...i never went back ever ever again!

Shirley

wow great answers. Thank you.

Well... I did it again last night, but before reading all the replies! Typically me sat having had a couple of glasses of wine and found a long bit and reached for the scissors :D

I've taken it quite short - part of the reason for that is that I'm off to my mums again next week and the washing facilities are somewhat cramped - washing hair at the sink etc which with my sore shoulders really takes a toll... so I figured if it was short it would be easier. I like it! I've managed somehow to put in some layers (without wetting it!!!) and although it might not be even it looks a lot better than it did!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

pumpy

be like me ........ 50+ year-old male,..... no hair, no styling worries!!!
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

lolol I love you lot :lol:

I tried to get the barber at work to cut mine with clippers (number whatever) and she refused

My mum used to cut her own to three fingers - run your hand through hair and cut between the top two fingers till it's all done - layering the easy way :wink: always worked for her
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Fee fairy, that's a good method. I think I'll try it next.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Its a lot easier in practice than it is to read!

I cut nik's hair too - she has shoulder length hair and i get her to lay on the table with her head back and then i cut it all straight at the bottom where it falls. This makes fairly long layers, which she likes.

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've cut mine myself for about the last 20 years, just using a mirror and a pair of 99p sissors. As long as they're sharp, and not ruined then they work just fine. Not many people complain about the look of my hair and I even met Price Charles the other week with a home trim lol.

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Shirley

the.fee.fairy wrote:Its a lot easier in practice than it is to read!

I cut nik's hair too - she has shoulder length hair and i get her to lay on the table with her head back and then i cut it all straight at the bottom where it falls. This makes fairly long layers, which she likes.
LOL that conjures up a picture!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/