The Ish home haircut

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

The Ish home haircut

Ok... I can't justify spending ten or more of our scarce pounds on a haircut at the local hairdressers... so I've been attempting to do my own since my last appointment in Oct 07. The results are ok (with a big ish) but I wondered if anyone has any hints and tips with regards to home hairdressing. My hair is now shortish and a bit higgledypiggeldy at the back.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

pumpy

Re: The Ish home haircut

Well, i s'pose it's down to your wishes & expectations. Why not spend out once in a while. My Jackie would not spend money on her hair,if i didn't say "go treat yourself" once in a while. She thinks it's a uneccesary expense....... i know that a good-day at the stylists works wonders for her self-confidence.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been cutting my own hair for about 10 years... wow 10 years, that sounds loads... never thought about it before.

This is really hard to explain - I hope it makes some sense.

You need sharp hairdressing scissors (don't just use kitchen scissors it just wont work), 3 mirrors (as big as you can manage, a comb and vaious hair clips

First get your hair wet through and comb it straight. Get yourself comfy with at least 3 mirrors biggest in front, 2 smaller behind at such angles that you can see your whole head while facing front (does that make sense?)

Now pin the middle half of your hair up on your head (and any fringe). You should have some hair hanging down over each ear and a little at the back too but the middle section should be secured so it doesn't get in the way.

Start with the the hair over your ears. decide how long you want it and add 2 cm (the amount of times I have cut it too short :roll: ) hold your head straight and cut the same hieght both sides of your face, straight cuts. Now cut across the back to the same hieght... you are really joining up where you have already cut.

Ensure you are happy with the length before going any further.

Let the rest of your hair down and comb it into place, now following the same lines you had before, to get it all the same length.

When you have it short enough comb small sections out to the side, hold between your middle and index finger at a 45o angle and cut the part closest to your head will remain the same length, the furthest away part will be around an inch shorter (you will have seen hairdressers do this) this will give a nice graduated cut, rather than a sharp edge.

This is really difficult at the back of your head, but can be done... I have to admit, as I have really thick hair I tend to hack at the back somewhat

I used to spend 2 hours doing this, every 2-3 months... now I spend 15 mins infront of the bathroom mirror every 6 months. I just don't have the time.

When I cut my hair, I like it to be a really neat short bob, close at the back and with the front long enough to just tuck behind my ears.

Oh... now you have to sweep up the hair that has invariably got everywhere.

pumpy wrote:Well, i s'pose it's down to your wishes & expectations. Why not spend out once in a while. My Jackie would not spend money on her hair,if i didn't say "go treat yourself" once in a while. She thinks it's a uneccesary expense....... i know that a good-day at the stylists works wonders for her self-confidence.
The few times I have been to a hairdresser (3 times in 10 years) I have been in tears as soon as I get home... they NEVER get it right and I find them condesending and judgemental (I want a funky an easily maintained haircut...and look feminine....I must be a weirdo)
The one time they got it spot on was (luckily) the week before my wedding :flower:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Rod in Japan
Living the good life
Living the good life

This is one tip that you probably won't find very useful, but if you go over your whole head thoroughly with the clippers, you can't go far wrong. I find this 'style' very convenient.

pumpy

i'm glad, that what little i've got left, only takes a few minutes, with the clippers set to no. 2" !!
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Shirley

Rod in Japan wrote:This is one tip that you probably won't find very useful, but if you go over your whole head thoroughly with the clippers, you can't go far wrong. I find this 'style' very convenient.
Well... it worked for Sinead O'Connor... but somehow i don't see that look working for me :rr:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Ellendra

Grow a ponytail.

ina

I used to (when my hair was longer) just take fistfulls of it and cut of everything that stuck out. That way you get more or less the same length for everything. And then my father tidied up the back a bit for me...

Annpan's way is much more sophisticated!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

red

I didn't have mine cut for 18 months - apart from cutting my fringe myself. somehow didn't get around to it... you know it was that winter festival thingy - then we were seed sowoing and lambing then... etc etc...

even easier way! (although i have curly hair so get away with it more.. and my split ends had split ends.. so a trim now and then is a good idea..)
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

kiery
Tom Good
Tom Good

I hate going to the hairdressers!!! I can't justify spending all that money on a haircut I couldn't reproduce at home without industrial products and 3 hours ( I have quite curly coarse hair). After reading loads of books and searching on line I found a layered cut which works best for me-

Comb you hair and get a pair of hairdressing scissors

1. Put all your hair into a high ponytail on top of your head.

2. Twist the tail clockwise until you get right down to the ends and cut ( I just get rid of straggly /split ends).

3. Twist the tail anti-clockwise again right down to the ends and cut.

and that's it.

It works for me and my hair.

contadina

I wait for my sister or a holiday home owner up the lane to come visit as they are both ex hairdressers and provide a mobile salon service under an olive tree. Nice!

wulf

Haircut? What's that for? I haven't had one for years and I would say that my hair isn't in bad condition - certainly not the tangled mass of split ends that some hairdressing literature would lead you to expect.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well I have been getting my hair cut by the same bloke for the last 30 years or so. I do have the gear and a couple of books and when I leave work I will hand myself over to Mrs Wombat. Her mother has cut her father's hair for many years so we will give it a go.

I can't have it too short or she doesn't like it and she has already said that if I go bald she'll divorce me! :rr:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do JohnM's hair with the clippers,(no4 all over) you can do it quite long with clippers(up to about an inch, no8???) I used to do it with scissors but it took ages and needed done every few weeks to keep it neat.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have a fairly easy maintenance hair cut - fringe at front, half my hair is one length & I have a large "undercut" - an area on the back of my head which is shaved. This is so I don't get too hot when I have fake dreads/braids in my hair. So a once-over this area with clippers set to No.1 then attack the fringe & rest of the length with dress-making scissors becauce I've lost my hairdressing scissors and don't intend to waste the money to buy new ones! I hate going to hairdressers because they seem offended by my undercut - its my hair, I can wear it however I like!
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!