Who the hell wants to spend 6 hrs in Coventry?

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Who the hell wants to spend 6 hrs in Coventry?

Latest news.The new faces are introducing a fab new scheme:buy a new electric car for 25 grand,and they'll give you 5 grand .These superb vehicles on one charge will take you from London to Coventry,then just 6 hrs charging,and you can come home again.This is obviously a huge benefit in london where ,compared to the rest of the UK, public transport is so inadequate.And ,lets face it,in this new big society it's the people who can only afford 25g for a new motor that really need help,and above all,this is a GREEN policy.
In truth it's not the crass unfairness of the whole thing that rankles (when was it ever any different?),the state has presumed to hijack the green movement,and corrupt it (see 'the organic movement 20yrs ago).
GA in a recent thread,seemed to question ' What is to be Done ?' (as it were),well here's an idea,RECLAIM the green agenda it's got sod all to do with Govt., car companies,energy companies etc,changing to stay the same.Reclaim the streets,geurrilla garden,plant window boxes everyhere,farm your/your neighbours/your grannies/aunts garden,landshare whatever,and stuff DEFRA,the planners whoever,keep some hens,and a bloody pig if you want......JUST DO IT.

..................And anyhow,you'd need to pay me a lot more than £5grand to spend 6 hours in Coventry.........

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

Re: Who the hell wants to spend 6 hrs in Coventry?

Could not agree more. Companies like BP promoting themselves as green makes my blood boil. Adverts by BP telling us they are investing in alternatives whilst at the same time being involved in hugely damaging environmental projects is pure hypocracy.

Rosendula

Well said OldJerry.
Rosey xx

The Riff-Raff Element

Rosendula wrote:Well said OldJerry.
Seconded. Having worked in the oil industry I am under no illusions as to the root of their "environmental" interests. Hit them were it hurts and use of little of their product as is possible! :pirate:

neilos
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Old Gerry, I would love to spend six hours in Coventry. I would begin my visit in the Herbert Art Gallery, this would take a couple of hours to work my way around the lovely exhibits showing life in Coventry before it was destroyed by bombs and planners. I would then pop into the Whitefriar pub for a nice pint of ale. It would take me 5 minutes to cycle over to the transport museum where I would admire the triumph motorcycle that Ted Simon rode around the world very slowly whilst meeting all sorts of interesting open minded people. I would then cycle North along the canal towpath stopping on the way at the Fosehill allotments to visit old friends before taking refreshment at the Greyhound Inn, Sutton Stop.
Leaving this wonderful old pub I would cycle south down Fosehill Road collecting some vegetable samosas from the Sweet Centre, Foleshill Road before catching the train back to London listening to the one and only Jerry Dammers and his Specials whilst eating my samosas. Coventry does have some very rough edges as would be expected on any industrial city. however there are still many hidden gems found within its remaining city walls as yet not knocked down by the current 'planners'. To Date they have agreed to demolish unsightly medievall cottages to make way for some much needed flats for overseas students. (http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/c ... -33041479/) You probably wouldn't be interested though Gerry

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Once spent 14 hrs there.

Now live in France
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

okra wrote:Could not agree more. Companies like BP promoting themselves as green makes my blood boil. Adverts by BP telling us they are investing in alternatives whilst at the same time being involved in hugely damaging environmental projects is pure hypocracy.
Out of interest, who should be investing in greener technologies if BP shouldn't be?
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

oldjerry

oldfella wrote:Once spent 14 hrs there.

Now live in France

Comedy Gold , Eddy. :iconbiggrin: