BUILDING ON FLOOD PLAINS IS JUST PLAIN CRAZY?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
john
Living the good life
Living the good life

BUILDING ON FLOOD PLAINS IS JUST PLAIN CRAZY?

:mrgreen: Yes,we are building on flood plains to give people a roof over their heads,but at what cost if the water level rise suddenly like in America.
I think all the people involved in building the houses in the UK,in the normal way on flood plains are crazy. I believe every building by law built on flood plains should be built with a lower section space for vehicles or storage only,to help raise the building up by at least 10 feet from the ground surface. This would mean for example every building with a pathway outside it now,would have the same thing but there would be another pathway above that in line with the front door of the building it was outside. This way would mean you would still have the lower ground area as a garden or a drive way or what ever,but if in the case of any flooding,the living area would be less likely to be damaged,and lose of life too. Yes this way would also mean using steps or a lift to go up or down to go to your vehicle or garden,but if it meant saving your life and property in a flood situation then I think it's crazy not to build houses on a flood plain in any other way. Whilst the Thames barrier will stop high water,water will still find it's own level,so it will back up until it finds lower ground,then it will come in behind them if we don't do something now to help our selves. If we don't build higher walkways or barriers all the way round our rivers and streams nature will win. Yes it would make the Thames narrower for example,but it would work,after all whilst the Thames has already been made to look better,now is the time to start doing something about stopping our country from drowning if we can. Other benefits to my idea are most walkways could go over roadways,with the same street lighting to light up the road and both walkways at the same time if my idea was used,this would also make for cleaner walkways,of course there will be problems with a new way of living on a flood plain,but at least people would have a chance to survive in a flood situation along with every one else,and any business could have their deliveries made easier,plus in the case of a flood the stock could be replaced,and the business carry on. For all those people who are already living on a flood plain,I wish you all a long and happy life. John JRP.
Message from J.R.P. Recycling, please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com as it was
designed by me to help to save millions of lives
and to reuse-recycle millions of tonnes of waste
plastic container,and unwanted wooden pallets
too.

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

It would certainly make sense for low lying houses to be designed with potential flooding in mind.

Wulf

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Report Highlights threat of floods.

:mrgreen: We can put buildings on flood plains,Isay,if we build them all up higher.
Greenwich and Lewisham: Development will 'make matters worse'as reported in our local News paper,as shown 12-10-2005.
The risk of severe flooding to parts of London is not being taken seriously enough,according to the authors of a new report.
The London Assembly Environment committee report says the 1.25m residents and workers in the Thames Estuary area are at risk from flooding - New Orleans style. And they say new development in the area could make the problem worse. The report also revealed there is confusion over who runs the city's defence system,which is thought to be in a worse state towards the coast.
The report states lessons need to be learned from the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina,and calls for a clarification of who is responsible for flood defences in the Thames Gateway.
It reveals there is a web of agencies in the area sharing overlapping responsibilities for defending the city. It also warns the risk of flooding in London is being greatly increased as much of the DEVELOPMENT AREA IS ON FLOOD PLAINS.
The committee's chairman,Lewisham councillor,said: "We are extremely concerned about development plans for EAST LONDON and the THOUSANDS of NEW HOMES in THAMES GATEWAY."
"These plans are simply not taking flood risk issues seriously enough."
He also raised concerns about the long-term life of the Thames Barrier - a key issue for Lewisham and Greenwich.
But the Environment Agency says the city's defences will benefit from £300m pounds investment over the next 15 years. Thames Estuary programme executive for the Environment Agency said: "The disastrous impact of Hurricane Katrina on New Orleans reminds us all the consequences of complacency can be tragic."
" BUT LONDON CAN BE REASSURED THEIR CITY'S FLOOD DEFENCES ARE IN GOOD SHAPE AND THEY OFFER A HIGH LEVEL OF PROTECTION."
I HOPE SO, DON'T YOU. John JRP.
Last edited by john on Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Message from J.R.P. Recycling, please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com as it was
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Flood prevention plans in full flow.

:mrgreen: Flood prevention plans in full flow,as reported in our local News paper on the 28-9-2005 as shown. Land disappearing underwater sounds more like a disaster movie than the future of north kent.
But new research says in an extreme flood event,as experienced in New Orleans, EXISTING DEFENCES COULD BE OVERWHELMED IN LONDON and the THAMES ESTUARY.
The floodscape project is looking at consulting with residents to develop natural areas to control flood risk. The research is based around the idea of the "1,000 year flood"--an extreme rise in water levels which pose the greatest threat to the Thames Estuary.
Floodscape co-ordinator says in theory this potentially catastrophic event could hit at any time. But now his project is looking at using the KENT MARSHES as a place where excess water can be dumped to save resdential areas.
In the UK a total of £700,000 will be spent by the EU-FUNDED project on three pilot schemes looking at landscape change and flood risk including the north Kent marshes in Medway,to be completed by the end of next year. Suggestions for ways to use natural flood defences will feed into the Thames Estuary 2100 project,which is developing an Estuary flood risk management strategy for the next 100 years.
" Floodscape is providing Thames Estuary 2100 with the tools to engage communities and decision-makers in planning for and investigating acceptable measures to manage flood risk."
Different options were discussed with people from the north Kent community who were shown the consequences of making various changes to flood defence system using computer models.
" The acceptability of each measure is determind by environmental impact,benefit and community opinions."
One measure,controlled inundation,would mean lowering or maintaining the height of existing defences so excess water would flood predetermind areas and not properties.
This could even lead to new natural habitats being created for wildlife.
Another option concidered in the consultation is managed realignment,which involves creating holes in or removing existing defences.
Homes would be protected by land gradient or new defences,while the area in-between may be inundated by the twice-daily tide and extreme floods.
The RSPB was one of the STAKEHOLDERS involed in the FLOODSCAPE CONSULTATION.
RSPB conservation officer for the area says planning for the future is essential to protect the area.
She says:THERE IS GOING TO HAVE TO BE PROTECTION FOR TOWNS. "MOVING GRAVESEND OR LONDON IS NOT AN OPTION."
In 1928: The tide in LONDON rose nearly 30cm higher than previouse records and 14 people drowned in Westminster when the river Thames overflowed.
In 1953: Over 300 people lost their lives and 24,000 houses were flooded as defences in Kent were breached due to freak waves and a swelling tide along the east coast.
In 2005: 4.5cm of torrential rain fell in under an houre,badly affecting Dartford,with manhole covers forced off and roads closing.
I BELIEVE THE WRITING IS ALREADY ON THE WALL FOR US,EVEN AS I WRITE THIS MESSAGE IT COULD START RAINING AGAIN AS IF SOME ONE HAD JUST PULLED THE PLUG OUT OVER MY HOUSE AND OTHERS,FLOODING THE ROAD OUTSIDE IT TOO. I HOPE IT STOPS SOON,DON'T YOU. 1130pm. John JRP.
Last edited by john on Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thoughts on water defence heard at meeting,

:mrgreen: Residents vote to keep flood walls,as reported in our local News paper on the 19-10-2005 as shown. People living near the NORTH KENT MARSHES have voted for no change in the way flooding is managed in the area.
A 15-month-long consultation has discovered residents and groups faver retaining the current method of having flood defences between the marshes and the Thames Estuary.
It had been suggested by consultation organiser FLOODSCAPE the defences be moved back to allow the area to flood--creating salt marshes and mud flats.
Although residents said they would consider letting small areas flood to increase saltmarshes to add to the ecological value of the area,they would rather keep the defences in place.
And in some cases they wanted the defences built higher to stop future flooding in ST MARY's MARSHES,NORTH OF STROOD.
The project also covered an area from WENNINGTON MARSHES,south of RAINHAM,to the AVELEY MARSHES,near PURFLEET.
FLOODSCAPE,which is an EU-FUNDED pilot action,will now give the residents,feedback to the Thames Estuary 2100 project,which is planning to protect the 1.25m people at risk from flooding in this area.
It will present its plans to the Government.
More than 100 people heard about the future of the marshes at the meeting last week.
A Dickens Country Protection Society committee member said: The ENVIRONMENTAL GROUP OBVIOUSLY HAS A VESTED INTEREST IN THE AREA.
She also said: "THE CONSENCUS OF THE GROUP WAS IT SHOULD REMAIN AS IT IS ."
A retired lady of 65 said: She attended the meeting because she wanted to know what is going on in the marshes.
She also said: "We don't want to see them flooded,we want to see it how it is now.
FLOODSCAPE project manager said: "THIS IS ONE PIECE OF THE JIGSAW."
"THE PROJECT IS MORE ABOUT EXPLORING RATHER THAN GETTING TO THE STAGE WHERE SOMETHING IS CHOSEN." I HOPE IT STOPS RAINING SOON,DON'T YOU. John. JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Too late for objections.

:mrgreen: Too late for objections,as reported in our local News paper on the 20-10-2005 as shown. ENVIRONMENTALISTS have urged council chiefs to put the brakes on a huge housing development for fear of its impact.
Kent Green Party insists Dartford council has nothing to lose by delaying development at EASTERN QUARRY in SWANSCOMBE to ensure facilities for the occupants of the thousands of proposed new homes materialise.
A number of concerns have been raised by the political party in a report into the impact of the development,which is the biggest in the THAMES GATEWAY.
EASTERN QUARRY was granted outline approval in July after months of negotiation.
"Durind this process a number of comments were received from the KENT GREEN PARTY.
A spokesman for Dartford council said:WE WELCOME ANY COMMENTS, BUT THEY NEED TO BE TIMELY TO BE INCLUDED IN THE PLANNING PROCESS." I HOPE THEY INCLUDE THE RISK OF FLOODING,DON'T YOU. John JRP
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Paving front gardens risk of flooding.

:mrgreen: Paving front gardens increases the risk of flooding in the capital,as reported in our local News paper November issue 2005 as shown.
LONDONERS who pave front gardens so they can park their cars are being urged to use 'green' methods to help reduce the risk of flooding.
A LONDON ASSEMBLY REPORT shows homeowners across the catital have paved over an area equivalent to 22 Hyde Parks to give them somewhere to put their vehicles. Now the Mayor of London has called for people to think about using materials that allow water to drain into the earth.
The growing tendency to cover front gardens means rainwater has no way of naturally seeping into the ground.
Instead,it is channelled into the drainage system,which is already under pressure,increasing the risk of flooding during heavy rain.
ACCORDING TO THE LONDON ASSEMBLY REPORT, TWO THIRDS OF THE CAPITAL'S FRONT GARDENS ARE ALREADY PARTIALLY COVERED BY PAVING,BRICKS,CONCRETE OR GRAVEL.
WITH THIS IN MIND, I HOPE IT STOPS RAINING SOON, DON'T YOU. John.JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

DON'T GET YOUR FEET WET.

:mrgreen: Don't get your feet wet as reported in my local K B news paper for December.
As global warming begins to effect our climate causing sea levels to rise and rivers to burst their banks more readily,is your business prepared to cope with the possibillity of flooding? The consequences of a flood can be devastating with astronomic financial losses as well as loss of livelihood and high levels of trouble and stress.
Ask yourself the following questions:
* Do you know if you are situated in an area at risk of flooding?
* Do you know if and how you can receive flood warnings?
* Do you know how your business would respond to a flood?
* Are your staff trained on flood procedures?
* Do you have the relevant insurance to make sure you are covered in the event of a flood?
If you think you may be at risk and you answered no,to any of these questions,it is essential to implement a flood action plan to ensure the safty of staff and to minimise any financial loss.
For more information about how you can protect your business from the possibility of a flood,call the Environment Agency on 08708 506506.
May I wish every one a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2006,and may you all live long and happy too. John. JRP.
too.

Shelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/w ... ncun.shtml

John, thought you might be interested to read this article.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

ESCAPE FROM CANCUN>

:mrgreen: Hi Shelle,thank you for telling me about Michael C. Ruppert article. I'm not a great reader my self,but what a article to read,all about someones real life experience,shared with others,a true case of a real life or death situation told by one man,which proves assumption can be a dangerous thing. I hope others will visit the website too. John. JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Flood defences are "inadequate".

:mrgreen: A SCRUTINY group has claimed Bexley's flood defences are inadequate, as reported in our local BE news paper dated the 9-2-2006.
The council's environment committee made its findings while investigating the aftermath of a giant storm last September 2005,which hit more than 100 homes and businesses in the borough.
The report,which was presented to council chiefs,recommends that extra money should be pumped into flood defence.
The document reads: "As a result of the intense rainfall,the capacity of the drainage systems at a number of locations was exceeded."
Repors of extreme flooding came in from more than 70 locations in the borough on the night of the 10 September 2005.
A monitor reading,taken at Hall Place the morning after the storm,indicated it was the strongest for 90 years.
The worst hit area were Bexley Village and Belvedere,where more than 50 homes were flooded,and Sidcup and bexleyheath were also affected too.
A particular concern was the River Cray,which was unable in some areas to cope with the sudden downfall.
The report continues:"Some residents of properties alongside the river reported water levels rising to the thresholds of back doors and garden furniture and boats being washed away."
Roads were flooded in Sidcup,Foots Cray,Bexley,Blackfen,Welling,East Wickham,Belvedere,Eirth,Bexleyheath,Barnehurst,and Crayford,many drivers had to abandon their cars.
In addition the Thames Road was flooded beneath the railway bridge,and the A2 had to be closed for several hours.
A particlarly bad case was Wrotham Road Welling,where a foul sewer became blocked and overflowed.
North Kent and Surry were also hit. Council officers sent out questionnaires asking residents if they were affected,and have since met officials from Thames Water to discuss improvements to the borough drainage systems.
A council spokesman said:"Thames Water has confirmed that its wet weather procedure in Bexley will be reviewed. We have also met representatives from the Environment Agency to discuss their role and views given the severity of this storm.
"They confirmed that they do have some local resources available for clearing rivers and outlets and that it may be possible to use these in the future should a similar event occur."
Council officials have also pledged to pump £180,000 into their Cabinet Buget Strategy.
A spokesman for Thames Water said:"The implementation of our revised procedure are planned to take place before the onset of the late summer storm period.
I hope we don't have any sudden heavy rainfall,don't you,because the ground is so dry,and Thames water is not ready yet as I've reported. John. JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

RAIN.

:mrgreen: WE are now having a lot of rainfall in the South East,I hope we are prepared for it. John. JRP.
too.

Mandyz
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

tee hee
I grew up in flood plains... Winnipeg.
Of course, Winnipeg was generally prepared for flood season.
Though there are exceptional flood exceptions. Ah, sandbagging an entire mid-sized city. What a summer. I still laugh at all the people who pay extra to live along the muddy river. Then they're upset when their house is flooded out and insurance won't cover it... duh.
I do feel bad for the farmers outside the city on the floodplains where they know Winnipeg will dump its extra water if the rivers overflow. I mean, they know it will happen, but it's still horrid. They do get compensated by the province. But how do you adequately compensate losing your sustenance?

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mandyz wrote:tee hee
I grew up in flood plains... Winnipeg.
Of course, Winnipeg was generally prepared for flood season.
Though there are exceptional flood exceptions. Ah, sandbagging an entire mid-sized city. What a summer. I still laugh at all the people who pay extra to live along the muddy river. Then they're upset when their house is flooded out and insurance won't cover it... duh.
I do feel bad for the farmers outside the city on the floodplains where they know Winnipeg will dump its extra water if the rivers overflow. I mean, they know it will happen, but it's still horrid. They do get compensated by the province. But how do you adequately compensate losing your sustenance?

:mrgreen: Hi Mandyz,it's a fact that like most things in life there's always a good or a bad side to things,we need the rain to fill our reservoir,it just puzzles me to think why we can't simply run a hose (PIPE) from where they have more than enough rainfall to where we need it in the South East for example. Scotland could supply us and the Government could pay them for it even though the rain water it self is free.
Who would pay for the hose (PIPE) the water companies who charge us,which means at the end of the day we will,but at least we will be ok compared to other countries,yet I'm sure they could do the same thing if we lead the way,or is this another idea of mine that's to far out side the box way of thinking. Please don't say it can't be done,if we can go to the moon we can run a hose (PIPE) it will just be a very long one :lol: :lol: .John.JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

RUNNING A PIPELINE.

:mrgreen:HI ALL,whilst I did mention the money side of things,and how I would help to solve our problem,of course all what has been said will help. But whilst you may have presumed I ment over land,my way would be around our cost line under the sea water,like we have laid telephone cables from one country to another,like my father help to do from a ship years ago.
I know we could run a flexible pipeline like a rubber hose from the South East to say Scotland,done by putting it into a lake or lock or reservoir and pump it through a outlet system in to where it's needed,cutting out a lot of problems which have been mentioned.
A simple concept,you put a hose end in some water in say Scotland,and you put the other end of the hose in a reservoir in the South East of England,who pays for it we will in some way,but doing it my way we would save millions of us paying more for our water in the future.
I now predict in the future my idea will be used as the simplest way to solve a problem in the cheapest way.
The worst thing which could happen is you could get some salt water leaking into the pipeline,which I'm sure could be sorted out in a simple way too,like most things. Good night. John. JRP.
too.