Favorite kind of pub???

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

wulf wrote:Plenty of room, a range of real ales and either quality live music at a reasonable volume or the hum of friendly chatter. In the right weather conditions, extra marks for a roaring fire!

Wulf
That's just what I like, too. And no fruitmachines and the likes, please... Good food is a plus, as I often (not very often!) go to a pub on my own, and it just feels wrong to just sit there with a glass - if I have a meal to eat, I kind of feel more legitimate!

The smoking ban is a definite plus.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

I like pubs, old men's pubs definatly. Or swish bars that make us feel rich, (but not nighclubby) but usually pubs with ales / ciders / whiskys, decent food and a bit of atmosphere.

Mind you one of the reasons I choose Stafford to do my degree was lots of nice old pubs and very few night clubs - so it's not a new thing for me.
I'm increasingly of the belief that any shops situated on or near retails parks only serve to make people unhappy.

Karen_D
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Favorite kind of pub???

Andy Hamilton wrote:These days I am happy with a pub with loads of different beers on tap and one that you can have a good chat with your mates. It also has to be old and not one of these pine floored places.
Ditto, and that describes perfectly the Beacon Hotel in Sedgley. If it was within staggering distance of home I'd be even more broke :occasion5:

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

red wrote:
circlecross wrote:one with some good real ales, and that allow children into (obviously only my children, not anyone else's noisy horrors)
I'm with you there!

my favourite pub has a few good and well kept real ales, also sells nice soft drinks as himself doesn't do alcohol, allows my child in but is not over run with them, no juke box or fruit machines or tv, does a good plate of cheap pub food - so you can treat yourself without breaking the bank, and ideally a garden for summer an a big ol open fire for winter.
thats the sorta pub i like good atmosphere (sp?) good home cooked food good ale and wine child tolerant but not over run with the little ankle snappers squigy comfy arm chairs and sofas and a roaring log fire in winter.
A true friend tells you what you need to hear , not what you want to hear!

Silver Ether

Dont do many pubs these days the ale to much money .. so I does it at home by the puter hence the tipos . :lol:

But it has to be smoke free ... :mrgreen: you can do yourself some serous damage down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh now theres no smoking there ... :drunken:
Going to try out a few Irish bars next week .. we are stayng outside Dublin .. anyone got a recomendations ... I already got the one about getting a taxi :lol:

lindysman
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Nice to see so many comments about that greatest of all British traditions - the local!!
For all you drinkers who find it difficult to find a good pint, try contacting your local Camra branch. http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=branches
Although their work has been done in preserving real beer (as opposed to that gaseous stuff, full of p*ss & wind), their real fight is preserving your local. 50 odd pubs a month are closing in the UK.
Use it, or lose it!
My fave kind of pub? - One that sells a nice fresh pint of something local (brewpub??), packet of crisps and a pickled egg....
Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they've got nothing to lose.