Favorite kind of pub???

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite kind of pub???

I have just got back from a mates birthday (and yes a little drunk) we went to a few pubs that I have not been to before in Bristol and it cemented the fact that my favorite pub has really changed. when I was younger I loved a pub that was loud and full of 'strange' people. By strange I mean goths, rockers, hippies ect (the bell if you have ever been their shilrz).

These days I am happy with a pub with loads of different beers on tap and one that you can have a good chat with your mates. It also has to be old and not one of these pine floored places.

the place that myself Muddy, wulf, wombat, mrs wombat and Dave ended up in on a long past ish meet up was one such place (although beers could have been better)

So what is your favourite type of boozer? Is it a UK/Irish thing to have a boozer?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Cornelian
Living the good life
Living the good life

You can have a boozer in Australia as well ... but then maybe I watch too much British tv. :wink:

Eventually you get to a point where your favourite boozer is your own verandah watching the sun go down over your own garden. LOL When I was young I used to love pubs - not so much now.

If you want to be happy for a day, buy a car. If you want to be happy for a weekend, get married. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, be a gardener.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

The kind that does a really good Sunday roast (for those rare occasions when I am in England!).

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I was a young lad one of our favourite watering holes was an "elizabethan" style pub in Liverpool - The Collingwood Pub - or the Collo as we refferred to it. Was a bit rough then, probably worse now. Our local - The blue Cattle Dog - is about a half hour walk away and is not too bad, but I rarely go into pubs these days. Mind you, when we were in London, we HAD to have a drink in an English pub. :mrgreen: Even if it was only coke!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Thomzo

Until July, my favourite pub is one that doesn't allow smoking, regardless of what it's like.

From July, though, when the UK finally goes smoke free, then I can try a few more different places. :cheers:
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thomzo, come visit scotland our local's great and we're smoke free already it's fab.

I'm definately withthe plenty of good beers on tap type pub.

circlecross

one with some good real ales, and that allow children into (obviously only my children, not anyone else's noisy horrors)
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

red

circlecross wrote:one with some good real ales, and that allow children into (obviously only my children, not anyone else's noisy horrors)
I'm with you there!

my favourite pub has a few good and well kept real ales, also sells nice soft drinks as himself doesn't do alcohol, allows my child in but is not over run with them, no juke box or fruit machines or tv, does a good plate of cheap pub food - so you can treat yourself without breaking the bank, and ideally a garden for summer an a big ol open fire for winter.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Bexz
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
Facebook Name: Bexz Walker

One with atmosphere, hubby doesn't drink and I have a low tolerance to alcohol (one glass and I'm on the floor!) so it is nice to go to a pub where we can have a soft drink but still soak up the 'pub' atmosphere. Olde worlde, quiet country pub and we the old fashioned pub games too :)
Bexz.

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

A traditional pub with good ales, sadly the best place for a range of real ales near me is weatherspoons :(

Thomzo

Sal wrote:I have a low tolerance to alcohol (one glass and I'm on the floor!)
Hi - yeah that's me too. It does make going out really cheap though.

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

Milims

I've only been once and I love it!! Chris took me to a pub called the Fat Cat in the middle of Sheffield. It is right in the middle of an old industrial estate (Next to the Kelham Island Industrial Museum), has its own micro-brewery, pictures of cats painted on the walls in places where you have to find them, good food and a lovely beer, yard/garden at the back. No loud music (except on gig nights), good beer, good atmosphere - what more could you want!!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

ohareward
Living the good life
Living the good life

When I was in the UK in the early sixties I used to go to a pub in Winchester called the Baker's Arms. I drank pints of Brown & Mild. Great drop. Also the Blue Boar in Reading. That was a great place, as it had bar food (ham,cheeses and bread). Of all the ales I drank, the best to me was MacEwan's Light in Ayr, Scotland. The worst was Strong's in Andover. I am also partial to Irish ale.
When my wife and I were in England in 2003, we went to a very old pub in Hertford for lunch. We had steak and kidney pie. It was beautiful. Before I got married, I used to go to the the pub after work just about everyday. Our pubs at one time used to close at six o'clock. It was called the six o'clock swill. Not much talking was done as you had to keep up with the fastest drinker and pay your round. If you were slow the glasses were still put in front of you. If you did not want to drink much you shouted first, that way you could stop when it came to your turn again. You usually came out half sozzled.I am glad those days are over.
We also have Workingmen's Clubs and Returned Servicemen's Associations (RSA). A lot of the older people belong to these.

Robin.
'You know you are a hard-core gardener if you deadhead flowers in other people's gardens.

To err is human. To blame someone else, is management potential.

wulf

Plenty of room, a range of real ales and either quality live music at a reasonable volume or the hum of friendly chatter. In the right weather conditions, extra marks for a roaring fire!

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Umm...well...

A dirty little rock dive is rather good.
As is the Fiddlers Elbow in kentish Town - its like a pub would be if it were run by hippy squatters.

I like traditional pubs, and i am might might p'd off about the smoking ban!

So...traditional pub with beer garden, where i can smoke to my heart's delight! And nice beer - none of this cat's pee lager crap.