Here is my song ...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've no idea, but I would rather whoever organised my funeral chose the song or songs.

So it'll probably be something by the Wurzels. :lol: Oooh ahhh!

glenniedragon

My OH has decided he wants to be buried in a mound in armour with his mp3 player powered by a solar panel with prog randomising for eternity(sounds a little like hell for me!) I would go for some folk I think as that kind of music I can feel my soul wanting to join in, from the inside if you know what I mean. Dido's " My lover's gone " would probably be in there too.

kind thoughts
Deb

PurpleDragon

My friend's DH was waiting for a heart & lung transplant, and unfortunately the wait was too long.

She had Aerosmith "Don't wanna miss a thing" and everytime I hear it, I cry. I'm filling up right now, and I have to turn the radio off in the car if it comes on, because I can't drive.
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

Sassinak
Tom Good
Tom Good

At my son's funeral we had Eva Cassidy's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow because he had spent a loy of time singing it.
I have great difficulty hearing it in public and it seems to have encompassed Judy Garland's version as well.
It does bring back nice memories as well as I can 'hear' his voice singing along :-)

Boots

[Muddyquote]Can I bring my ukulele along?[/quote]

Sure. You can throw in all the Pete Townshend moves you want mate. Just wait for my funky nose tapping, bum cheek rapping instrumental and then you raise that microwaved guitar over your head and go for it!
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd like Israel Kamakawiwoole's 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow/It's A Wonderful Life' playing at my funeral. Somewhat bizarrely, it's also the music we chose for our youngest's naming ceremony :lol:

Anna x
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

Shirley

Sassinak wrote:At my son's funeral we had Eva Cassidy's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow because he had spent a loy of time singing it.
I have great difficulty hearing it in public and it seems to have encompassed Judy Garland's version as well.
It does bring back nice memories as well as I can 'hear' his voice singing along :-)
We also had this same version for my dad's funeral - hugs to you. It doesn't matter who sings it for me it just makes me cry.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Paddy's mum
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

My choice would also be a piece by the amazing, and much lamented, Eva Cassidy - I Know You By Heart. It would be for all those people I have loved and who have in their turn blessed my life with their love for me. I do not believe that love ends with death.

I'd also like to have that catchy, melodic piece by Adiemus which featured in a bank's (?) TV ad with the little pearl diving boy - can't now find the CD case to check it's title, although I seem to remember that it was itself called Adiemus.

Cat Steven's version of Morning Has Broken would also have to be in there somewhere, simply to remind people that life goes on and we are all simply one small part of an ongoing cycle of birth, life and death.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

See, I'll tell you what I think all this is about - with no offence intended to those to whom this is a bit sensitive - but it seems we've come to believe that we've always got to have some sort of theme music playing before we can have a legitimate emotional response.

Personally, I think that cemetories, and crematoria that play 'coming in' music, and 'going out' music are as bad as supermarkets that play muzak all the time. I fear I would find myself running screaming from any funeral that featured a Celine Dion track. The thought of Bette Middler doing The Wind Beneath My Wings is simply too awful to contemplate. This is just emotional manipulation.

I reckon when I die I'll leave all my money to that campaign for stamping out muzak.

In fact I think I may stipulate that the whole ceremony has to be conducted in mime.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Martin

which raises the obvious question - "should you use a silencer when shooting one?" :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Tay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Muddypause wrote:I fear I would find myself running screaming from any funeral that featured a Celine Dion track. The thought of Bette Middler doing The Wind Beneath My Wings is simply too awful to contemplate. This is just emotional manipulation.
Much to my dismay, my mother chose to have BM's 'Wind beneath my wings', something awful by Celine Dion and Simon and Garfunkal's 'Bridge over trouble water' played at my father's funeral. He would have been outraged if he had known! I was the only person not to cry; I was in shock after having to listen to that drivel...
Not all those who wander are lost...

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

We played one of my dad's favourite pieces of music at his funeral - Strauss' Blue Danube Waltz - I have a bit of trouble listening to it now. We got rid of the tape afterwards.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Boots

My grandparents were not very confident with 'gadgets' as they called them and had a little radio cum cassette player, that gran was always pushing the wrong buttons on.

My mother decided to take the tape from the cassette player when asked to provide music at grandads funeral. It was a tape with 'Chad Morgan' written on it and my brother and I were rolling our eyes, insisting we had never heard him play Chad Morgan EVER, and if we had we would never have encouraged such racket, so why the heck where we sending him off with it? My mother insisted he must have liked it because it was in the player.

When it came time for the 'send off piece' the guy pushed play and there began a jumbled 'mix' of radio recordings - bit of this song, that then launched into a bit of another, and so it went. Grandma began tutting and I started giggling. It was very obviously a tape that had endured quite a bit of wrong button pushing!

My brother and I laughed so hard later - because it was just so appropriate. Grandad wore a hearing aid and kind of tuned in and out when it suited him, and it kind of reminded us of that. Funnily enough there was nothing inappropriate, but we had a lot of fun thinking of all the 'wrong songs' that could have been played right at that moment.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

red

Don't mind what music at my funeral - as I wont be there.

but..having said that.. I have already put in my will that I want a cremation not a burial (which is more eco friendly? prolly a burial in a cardboard box with a tree planted over the top...)

cremation because I wont want some 'time team' of the future digging up my bones and saying 'ah-ha! looks like a ritual sacrifice!'
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Shirley

Boots wrote:When it came time for the 'send off piece' the guy pushed play and there began a jumbled 'mix' of radio recordings - bit of this song, that then launched into a bit of another, and so it went. Grandma began tutting and I started giggling. It was very obviously a tape that had endured quite a bit of wrong button pushing!

My brother and I laughed so hard later - because it was just so appropriate. Grandad wore a hearing aid and kind of tuned in and out when it suited him, and it kind of reminded us of that. Funnily enough there was nothing inappropriate, but we had a lot of fun thinking of all the 'wrong songs' that could have been played right at that moment.
That's just brilliant... perhaps we should have another thread.... song's that you just shouldn't hear at a funeral/wedding/etc
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/