Just had it explained

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Boots
A selfsufficientish Regular

Just had it explained

A mate in the UK just wrote to tell me that someone got the paper work mixed up and instead of the UK Cricket team coming over for the Ashes, they sent their Tiddlywinks team instead.

ROFL

...Just HAD to share it
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Shirley

hahahahahaaaaaa... very funny
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Boots

Well, tis...

:mrgreen:

You know, If they had just told us, we could have pulled together a tiddlywink team too, burned some and put em in a tinkle tin (wee pot) and we'd have a whole new annual competition going on...

:cheers:
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

red

hmm but then tiddly winks are usually made of plastic.. and it wont be the same eh? playing for the 'blob of melted plastic'

dunno what all the fuss is about... I got plenty of woodash here if you need some so bad..... :wink:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Boots

You know, I think I will have to get the boys to throw the match next year because now I am absolutely intrigued...

Is the UK always so fuss-less with sport? Is it some sort of subtle secret expression of support you show your sportspeople...Something like the little finger salute you provide when drinking tea? Or is it just a different story when you win?

I am buggered if I know why they travelled all the way over here really. Tis not like their countrymen (women or kids) gave a brass razoo really, is it?

Now I feel all sorry for them, and think we really should have just asked their Mums if we could keep em. Poor buggers.

red

ah well choose your sport - football and rugby always gets a big following - tennis is pretty popular - but I cant think of anyone of my friends who is interested in watching cricket.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

cat
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

red wrote: but I cant think of anyone of my friends who is interested in watching cricket.
none of your friends suffer from insomnia then? :lol:
vertigo is not fear of falling, but the desire to fly (jovanotti)

Altica
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I'm not really that interested in sports, but any game where you can sit around and drink all day is fine with me :)

The Chili Monster

Hmm... interesting, Boots.

Rugby Union, Tennis, Cricket ... here in the UK, the coaches (at all level, but especially at School level - secondary school PE teachers in England & Wales are expected to gain coaching qualifications) seem to prefer to teach at well, um, private schools.

And those associated with these sports don't help, either. Chris Adams, captain of the Sussex Sharks (who are pretty much winning everything in Domestic Cricket in the UK) has decided to volunteer his time and skills to the needs of Brighton College (an Independent School, sorry-very exclusive independant school) - get my point?

BTW, Lords (yes, that temple of all things English and Cricket) only procured the funds to expand its grounds in time for a major competition (world cup) after its members were told to admit women to the pavillion; a motion passed thanks only to a casting vote.

Now, Rugby Union, well I've started, so I'll finished. A good friend of mine, a single parent, has a son of nine. He plays rugby for a local side - he absolutely loves the game. He's been assured that, injury aside, he'll be picked to play for the county. However, if he plays at that level, he must attend (if selected) tours of South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. The costs for this to be bourne by the parent.
My friend doesn't have the funds for this.

Rant over.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Re: Just had it explained

Boots wrote:A mate in the UK just wrote to tell me that someone got the paper work mixed up and instead of the UK Cricket team coming over for the Ashes, they sent their Tiddlywinks team instead.
That doesn't surprise me. Would your mate be interested to know that there isn't a UK Cricket Team?

(Can hardly raise much interest in it meself).
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Boots

Ah, sorry about that Muddy. My mistake... inclusivity must just be another of those Aussie things... :mrgreen:

Chilli - I keep reading your rant and I hope I have got it... Are you telling me sport is only available to folks with money over there? If so, that is ABSOLUTELY TRAGIC!!!!

Must say though, that there doesn't seem to be too many folks jumping about cheering on their boys. Your country may not have won the wee pot, but your boys still did you proud. There were some brilliant effort go in, and some inspiring characters develop. We just fell in love with Monty over here! Maybe if folks gave a sh*t about their sportspeople, then there would more interest in funding it for your young people?

Our kids pay their own way too - but we do have communities that care about or have an interest in either, kids, or the sport itself. A nearby town of 300 people sent a young swimmer all over the country for trials with a view to representing our country. Why wouldn't we, she's ours and we are proud of her! Her mum did a heap of work fundraising wise, setting up stuff, and every shop in the town had raffles, comps and whatnot which ran for well over a year.

A lot of kids end up being recruited to the city areas, and things are a lot more competitive there, but so is the dollar backing. Once there, the chances of getting picked up by bigger sponsors is greater, I guess. Many of our high profiles were once country kids, and it is their families and communities they often acknowledge when looking back. No-one can do much without support.

You strike me as an enterprising type Chilli. Would you have time to kick off a fundraising campaign to help that kid get where he wants to go? Sounds like he deserves a fair crack of the whip.

Jack

Gidday

Well I don'treally want to get into this BUT don't you reckon the Aussies make really good humble winners.
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

Boots

Good sports, I reckon Jack. Most of our high profiles have climbed some big hurdles to get where they are. Only know that because they tend to share their stories with young people when visiting schools and outback areas.

Have just finished reviewing some interviews Steve Waugh did for young people with Cathy Freeman, Layne Beachley, John Maclean, Michael Clarke and Shannon Noll (realise he's a musician...) and they really are fantastic people who are genuinely grateful for their success. Maybe that's what you get when you don't look for talent in the 'money set'.

If folks are not familiar with their bios, am sure you will find them online. Well worth looking up, if you have a spare hour. Especially John Maclean's story. Had my girls absolutely transfixed.

Millymollymandy

I wouldn't have even known there was any cricket going on had you not mentioned it Boots.

I have no interest cricket, football or rugby, or most sports quite honestly.

However, I was taught how to play tennis, hockey, netball, swim, do long jump, high jump, throw discus and javelin, at a state school. Hated every second of it though!

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm not really a sports fan - with the exception of strong man competitions :oops:

It's bizarre, but for the one week a year it's on terrestrial TV, (usually around New Year), I am completely hooked. I scream at the TV, will on the English/British contenders to win and generally turn into a bit of a loon :lol:

I do think we have a problem with sports over here, it doesn't seem to be considered a worthwhile occupation. I am torn on this one. Part of me says we should fund it and provide more support to sportsmen and women and the other part says is that really a good use of our money?

How do you quantify the overall benefit of supporting sport? Would I rather raise money to fund a beneficial piece of rehab equipment on the hospital ward where I work, or would I rather raise the money to send an aspiring sportsman/woman to a training camp or competition. Is the National pride and general increase in morale that a successful team or individual can bring comparable with the real and quantifiable difference similar amounts of money could make to an life of someone who really needs physical, mental or social support?

Personally, I think I would rather see money spent on community sports facilities that are accessible to everyone regardless of age, ability and financial status. But I am open to hear any conflicting arguments...

Anna x

My that got heavier then I expected :shock:
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.