Self Isolation

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Self Isolation

:mrgreen: I know. I admire all those who are going through lockdown cooped up with a number of people - for me, even the best friends would drive me bonkers after a little while! So glad I'm on my own... (In a way. In other ways I'm not. :? )
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It's so difficult to decide what's for the best - especially with all the differing advice out there. As I pointed out earlier our gal, who lives in the same house as us (we made her a little, self-contained "granny flat"), has been either staying in her own space or keeping 2m away when coming through to us. The other day she burst into tears. She hasn't had any physical contact (hug/kiss etc) from another human being in over a month.

Needless to say she got a hug there and then. I couldn't sit there and watch her suffer. Probably a stupid thing to do but it's done now. I'll take the consequences, whatever those are. Hopefully none!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

:hugish: Difficult for those who are used to contact. I'm not. So in a way I'm better prepared for isolation - doesn't mean that I'm not seriously depressed at the moment.
Ina

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

We don't isolate ourselves from the rest of the family.
Our daughter and the 3 grandchildren live in an attached house and eldest granddaughter has a bedroom in our part. She goes shopping for us once a week and so could conceivably catch the virus, but it would be impossible to isolate from her.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

The restrictions we've had were all suggested by the gal herself. She works in the GP surgery so is more likely to be in contact with infected folk. It's so hard on her though. She hasn't seen her boyfriend in all this time either.
Maggie

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm actually starting to kind of enjoy it. I am getting so much done and in some ways the pressure not having to go out to do stuff is quite enjoyable.

Mrs. Viper is struggling a bit more. It's much better when the sun shines; that's for sure!

The moped made from canibalised other mopeds in the garage is coming along quite well. I'm quietly hopeful that it may even run this week for the first time since 1999/2012/1987 depending on which donor...
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Viper254 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:33 am I'm quietly hopeful that it may even run this week for the first time since 1999/2012/1987
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Flo

You know, I've quite grown into this lock down thing. I don't think I'll be getting out and about much even when and if ever they extend the rules for the over 70s. It's quite an education in being self sufficient in time management! I know that there are thousands of suggestions as to what you can do on-line to pass the time but there's only one thing that I might just get around to doing and that's getting back into a decent touch typing speed.

After years on tinernet I'm a lot less inclined to spend more time doing things on it. Most of the ideas are wouldn't do that (yoga, exercises) or done it anyway and grown out of it. :lol:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Me too Flo, or more to the point it's not really any different to my normal life. As I saw quoted somewhere recently, "you can tell how anti-social you are by the lock-down not making any difference".
Well that's me. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup, me too.

The only issues I have are the ongoing saga of the non-existent "click and collect" slots (I'm currently looking at an 160 mile round trip to "c+c" from outside the nearest supermarket :roll:) and missing my friends for lunch every month or so. I've not seen them since January, although we keep in touch via FB.
Maggie

ina

And me. Always said I am an antisocial bastard...

Find all that "people missing the touching/hugging" really strange. Hugging always makes me feel uncomfortable, so it's actually great that people can't catch me unawares!
Ina

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Same here too. If anything it's just given me more time to study, which is no bad thing. Between study and my housemate giving me jobs I've not even got out for walking as much as hoped, that may have to be remedied at some point :scratch:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I am so grateful for everything I have at the moment, I feel like I must be the luckiest person alive. I’ve got my house and garden so I’m not stuck in a tiny flat with no outside space and a psychopath for a flat mate. Years of poor health have meant that my social life has been very limited so I don’t miss going out. Ironically, I feel a lot better now than I have in a long time.

I’ve got great neighbours that I can chat to over the hedge for some real human contact, and I’m able to go shopping for myself and a few friends once a week. My friends are clearly bored and e-mailing, messaging and calling regularly so I’m not lonely. I’ve been furloughed since Easter so I get to spend my days gardening and catching up with jobs around the house and am being paid for it. I’ve started an online textile art course and have some volunteering stuff I can do from home. The time is just flying by.

I just wish everyone else could be as content as I am to stay in and stay safe but I know that many people are struggling. Keep safe everyone.

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

I do miss hugs and in-person chats.

It's just me and my wife here. It's a long walk to our next-door neighbours, and two of the three are immune-compromised, so we have to settle for emailing them. The weekly neighbourhood coffee and chat meetups are of course cancelled. About the only outside contact we have is with store cashiers.

The manager at the local burger restaurant remembered my name and my order when we went there in normal times. Now only the drive-thru window is open, but she still recognizes us in the car and greets us. That's about the only outside contact we have.

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I don't know that rational leadership is panic -stricken. Can only speak about NY City (I live 180 miles north of the city) where more than 500 people are dying every single day due to this virus. It's not "panic" that is forcing our governor and the mayor of NY City to demand a stay in place and work from home period. Five hundred deaths a day in addition to the normal death rate of about 150 a day creates a huge problem for medical services and for funeral services and for the peace of mind of residents. When the dying need ambulances and hospital beds and doctors and nurses and medical equipment that puts a HUGE strain on resources that are viewed as adequate for the everyday demands on resources. And one simple way to reduce this three -or four -fold extra demand is to compel everyone to avoid spreading the virus so if you don't have it ... you won't get it and if you do have it you won't pass it on to others who don't have it.