Unseasonal weather

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unseasonal weather

Not that I'm missing cold weather, although many of my fruit trees could do with a cold snap, especially the troughs of strawberries that are destined to be forced.
The temperatures down here have been a steady minimum of 10c - 11c night and day since the beginning of December and there's no change forecast. Today it's a rather pleasant 14c with no wind.
There are wild flowers in bloom all over the place, plenty of daisies and dandelions, but I also found a tot of buttercups flowering that I mistook for celandines. Daffodils have been out since before Christmas, as have everyone's Camellias.

If we don't get a cold snap soon I'll be digging new potatoes from my volunteers. :iconbiggrin:
spuds.jpg
spuds.jpg (298.76 KiB) Viewed 7155 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Unseasonal weather

Yep and it's not particularly wet over here in the scheme of a full winter. They'll be saying hose pipe bans if the weather doesn't get its act together and behave like winter.

ina

Not quite that warm here, but at least we did have one below zero period of a few days. Don't know whether that's enough for the black currants...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yup, really quite balmy here too - the weather that is. It's been regularly 10C, during the day, and not much colder at night. With the new roof keeing a lot of heat in we've had several days with no central heating, just a small electric fire in the living room and often sleeping with a window open. We've had to light the boiler on a few days when we would have preferred not to, just to make sure the rest of the house doesn't get damp.
Not much in the way of growth, but I think that's probably more to do with light levels up here, although one of the chilli plants that had been hard pruned to overwinter is sporting some lush new growth and a chilli!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Balmy here too - since Christmas we have averaged 38c daytime and 21c nightime - sleeping with every window and door open . No growth outside the shaded beds - soil temp around 22c so nothing is germinating - or surviving long if it does.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

ina

Weedo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 pm Balmy here too - since Christmas we have averaged 38c daytime and 21c nightime - sleeping with every window and door open . No growth outside the shaded beds - soil temp around 22c so nothing is germinating - or surviving long if it does.
Bloody hell. I'd heard Australia was getting hotter... Wait a few years, and you'll all be coming to us! And I'm sure you'll be more than welcome, since the UK doesn't like us foreigners from the EU... :roll:
Ina

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

I don't know what is happening to our weather here but is seems there is no such thing as "normal" anymore. We bought this place 10 years ago on the back of a 10 year drought - since then we have had three years with good production, 4 floods (one completely covered the property) and are now entering our third year of drought again. There is no doubt we are getting drier and warmer - most of our rain now comes in localised storm events rather than normal rain patterns.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

ina

Well, we had a "heat wave" here last summer, and a drought. Still rarely got above 20 degree C.
Ina

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

And now we have 4 inches of snow 😀 so I think we’re getting back on track.