This board ain't self sufficient

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Re: This board ain't self sufficient

Ok - so I couldn't help myself. The veg patch is up and running again, at least a small part of it for this year. The problem began when I encountered a small bag of sprouting potatoes in the cupboard.. Some are now in beds and others in an old washing machine tub which will be progressively filled with soil as they grow.

One consequence of letiing the weeds etc. go mad is that I now have a very large population of earwigs - any suggestions? I have traps in the veg beds but dont want broad scale insecticide used all over the place. Mowing is probably the starting point.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Flo

I'll lend you the frost outside Weedo - we are getting winter here. Frost is the best cure for all sorts of insects. Oops not what you want if you are planting up though. Dunno any other cure other than clearing out the space for predators to eat said earwigs.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Ha, knew you would. :wink:

I think earwigs are particularly active where it's a bit damp so cutting the grass around the veg bed should help and maybe shift any pots etc - they like dark places to sleep. Don't get rid of them all though, they can be quite helpful eating other insects, not just your veg.

(All of which is based on what I know as an earwig. I presume they're similar creatures in Aus :dontknow: )
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo

I have discovered they are partial to olive oil - a little in the bottom of a small plastic tub set at ground level works well

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yes, I read that. Apparently these oil traps are good because they only attract earwigs. Isn't nature wonderful. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo

I have also heard that Stale Beer is good for catching slugs & snails - forgive my antipodean ignorance, but what is Stale Beer? - I know of Malt Beer, Wheat Beer, Horehound Beer etc. but never one made from Stales.

ina

Weedo wrote:I have also heard that Stale Beer is good for catching slugs & snails - forgive my antipodean ignorance, but what is Stale Beer? - I know of Malt Beer, Wheat Beer, Horehound Beer etc. but never one made from Stales.
Hehe - no, I never found that in Australia, either... Actually, you can't buy it here. You find it when you've fallen asleep half way through your fifth bottle the night before.

(I believe slugs don't mind if the beer is fresh. It just sounds better, using stale beer - like not wasting anything,even if it's off. As if we ever...)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

My problem is that I just can’t get my iPad to log me in so I have to remember my password. That just doesn’t happen very often. So I’m usually one of the readers who doesn’t post. Managed it today though on the second attempt.

Weedo

with 6 traps out for nearly 1 week I am now down to only a couple of earwigs per trap per night (still plenty outside the beds though) Plain olive oil seems to work best but I notice using a little cider vinegar as well attracts a few beetles. Pouring rain today so I expect the slugs to be out in force tonight.

Flo

Ha a nice frost here - suspect the slugs will be looking for warm places. Let's hope that we get more of the frosts that are forecast for this week. My allotment slug population is too high after a warm winter last year.