Solstice Blessings

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular

Solstice Blessings

Happy Solstice, was way too murky to see the sun this morning, glad I only went as far as down the road.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Solstice Blessings

Happy Solstice to you too.
My youngest son went to Kindergarten today (he doesn't usually do Fridays) and saw the big school children light a fire in the middle of the school field amidst much drumming and singing. Later when the littlest children has gone back to their kindergartens and the fire had burnt down the bigger children jumped the fire. Again with much noise of drums, singing and cheering then some of the teachers and school staff joined in.
Great fun :icon_smile:

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

sleepyowl

that sounded cool
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

That does sound cool. And also a little bit like something from the Wicker Man. Which is also cool. I wish more schools in Britain did stuff like that. I bet someone complained about it. Or is that me being grumpy?

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

No one complained and I don't think there was a wicker man (at least not whilst I was there). The fire is a yearly event. It's not a state school so I guess if you don't like it you don't send your kids there.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

lifechanger
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

JuzaMum wrote:No one complained and I don't think there was a wicker man (at least not whilst I was there). The fire is a yearly event. It's not a state school so I guess if you don't like it you don't send your kids there.

JuzaMum
Ah, that explains it, unfortunately health and safety would soon have spoiled everybodies fun had it been in a state school.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

clanpowell wrote:That does sound cool. And also a little bit like something from the Wicker Man. Which is also cool. I wish more schools in Britain did stuff like that. I bet someone complained about it. Or is that me being grumpy?

Perhaps we should sort out the Health and Safety nutters with a wicker man thing :lol: Honestly, they keep banning everything people enjoy from rolling cheese down a hill to playing conkers, as for complaining, no-one moans when young kids do the maypole dance which is really lots people having a lovely dance round a huge phallus

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Quick someone call Christopher Lee. There's a another job for him. (So long as he isn't busy writing another heavy metal album) There is also quite a cool lunar thing going on tonight as well. Closest full moon for years. Looks very cool here.

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

We had a big party that has only just finished :drunken: :grouphug:

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

diggernotdreamer wrote:Perhaps we should sort out the Health and Safety nutters with a wicker man thing :lol: Honestly, they keep banning everything people enjoy from rolling cheese down a hill to playing conkers,
... except that most of it's a myth. The conkers thing was a joke, which was widely reported as if it was serious, and repeated ever since. The people who really clamp down on risk are insurance companies. Just try getting insurance for a bonfire at a semi-public event... go on, try it :banghead:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

well, they banned conkers in my daughters school because of the danger of conkers breaking, I don't know how I survived childhood really, playing conkers, clackers, climbing trees, riding bikes and motorbikes etc, teaches you how to survive a bit of danger

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

diggernotdreamer wrote:well, they banned conkers in my daughters school because of the danger of conkers breaking
Did they really? Good grief! I was convinced it was the media making a lot of fuss about nothing.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

diggernotdreamer wrote:well, they banned conkers in my daughters school because of the danger of conkers breaking,
According to the HSE these sort of things aren't included in any legislation and it's usually either bad customer service when people say "can't have that cos of H&S" or people being over zealous. There was a cracking bit about it on You and Yours on R4 the other day. At least I think that's where I heard it.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

becks77

Belated blessings to you.
Have been trying to put up a photo of what we did for solstice , however technology has beaten me again!!
So instead I have forund this and hopefully a magic link will appear
http://beforeitsnews.com/spirit/2013/06 ... 79154.html
We're the dancing people in the bottom photo- Hunters Moon Morris

It was a truely wonderful day, but desperately cold so a bit of morris daning warmed us all up!
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"