Guaranteed to make you feel better about your house...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Guaranteed to make you feel better about your house...

I have spent the last few days stressing about how best to rennovate our scabby bathroom.

Now feel rather guilty about it and think living with slightly mouldy walls might not be so bad after all...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Paris.html
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

oldjerry

Re: Guaranteed to make you feel better about your house...

Sadly I'm not really astonished but I am surprised that it's highlighted in the Mail.

I'm no great enthusiast for the state,but if the extended family is going to disappear then there has to be some kind of safety net,I'm not exactly looking forward to (even) older age,but who would bother taking another breath if these conditions are all there is to look forward to in retirement.

Keaniebean

That's simply terrible :(
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Susie

Bloody hell. And $200 a month!

(and Bonnie, can you just rip it out and start again? I know that sounds unthrifty and unIsh, but sometimes with a bathroom it's easier and cheaper).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

boboff

Wow that is amazing.

Amazing in a few ways. That it's allowed, that there isn't more crime, that it's better than being homeless, that is what we should expect without a welfare state in this country, must be a good return on capital.

I wish I could decide whether I am a nasty Capitalist or a soft Lefty Hippy type, makes stories like this difficult.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

bonniethomas06

[quote="oldjerry"]Sadly I'm not really astonished but I am surprised that it's highlighted in the Mail. [quote]

Can I please just say that this was forwarded to me and I most definately DO NOT read the Daily Mail under normal circumstances.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Bonnie, Whist the situation in Hong Kong is truly appauling and my heart goes out to them, please don't feel guilty about wanting a better home for yourself. Of course our desires seem a tad affluent compared to the lives of those poor souls, but not improving your life won't help them.

Have you joined your local Freegle or Real Cycle? We recieved a fab bath from a lady not too far from here who was replacing it with a walk-in shower. The hand basin & loo came from a certain 'online auction site' for about £22! The whole room was tiled for £50 or there abouts by hunting carboots.

Then send the article to a top banker.....the H $ B C chairman seems appropriate!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

The Riff-Raff Element

Interestingly, the "Heritage Foundation" - a right-wing American think-tank whose board of trustees comprises entirely of well-fed white people - has concluded that Hong Kong has the world's "freeest" economy. Freedom to choose between paying $200 per month to live in a dog cage or on the streets, presumably.

Of course, they could be thinking of "freedom" as it appertains to rich people. With maids.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16523643

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

i am shocked

bonniethomas06

MuddyWitch wrote: Have you joined your local Freegle or Real Cycle? We recieved a fab bath from a lady not too far from here who was replacing it with a walk-in shower. The hand basin & loo came from a certain 'online auction site' for about £22! The whole room was tiled for £50 or there abouts by hunting carboots.

MW
Oh yes MW I LOVE our local Freegle. Won't bore you with the furniture and appliances in our house that are freecycled, but it is about 90%!
We are only renting, so I am not rennovating the whole thing (is quite nice plain white suite anyway) but more scrubbing mould off the walls and painting, and trying to work out how to improve the ventilation somehow so the mould doesn't come back again.

My blog...

Susie

Bonnie, I've so been there with mould in various houses. I once read a horror story where someone gets mould on them and eventually it takes over their entire body and they turn into a Mould Creature and I used to have nightmares about it.

No, don't rip out if you're renting (also if your suite is good) - I found the mould stop paint by international did actually work a bit (you have it as an undercoat), and bleaching walls/ repainting frequently works as well (it's if you let it get a hold you're doomed). Wishing you lots of anti-mould luck :cheers:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Bonnie, a reasonably cheap solution might be a dehumidifier, run only when necessary. Worth a thought. When we've used one in the past, the water is saved for use in the electric iron!
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

boboff

We get Mould allot in our house.

Ventilation v heat is the problem.

I mix 1/3 bleech to water in a plant sprayer and just spray and leave to dry, repeat until all stains have gone ( takes a couple of days) then just do once a week or so. You will find much of your house smells like the swimming baths, but it doesn't take much time or effort.

As above painting holds it off as well. All out walls are now white shiny emulsion.

You can smell it getting worse, and you then know it's time to act.

Also getting a head start on it in the Summer is key, when it's drying weather get all your windows and doors open and spray away with your bleech. Unfortunately I now have lots of cloths with Pink Patches at the wrists, and various other spots where I have bleeched myself!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

There was I getting all optimistic about people taking notice of this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrIABpa ... re=related.
What hope have we got when people can sit on their hands when things like this are happening to other people.
Last edited by trinder on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Millymollymandy

The link won't open, is this about dogs or people? :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/