Today I saved money by...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Today I saved money by...

I know that a lot of people on here have experienced a big reduction in income or are anticipating it, myself included, and that theres a lot of enthusiasm for the existing threads on living on less but thought that it might be nice to give specific examples, small (or big) things that are easy to adopt but add up to make a difference. I use to like the numbered thread we use to have to thought I start one with what I've done today...

1. Making 'washing up spray', two big squirts of washing up liquid in a spray bottle filled with water, when washing up spray the sponge instead of a using a whole squirt

2. Using my own facial scrub which I made without buying anything, muscovado sugar and olive oil with a little essential oil

3. Sewing up the tears on the inside of my jeans from where the fabric is wearing out

green_pea
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Today I saved money by...

4. Knitting a sock, I now have a pair!
5. Manually whittling away the rust on our camper and painting it, rather than taking it to get done professionally. Much more fun.. :shaking:
6. Ate food from the garden.

midi
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Made anti puncture material for inside my new cycle tyres, and for my bike trailer. I used some strips of a heavy garden waste bag (which I also got for free!) and silver metal duct tape (free, left over from a job a few years ago) The proper "strips" in my local bike shop are £10. 50 for a box which does two inner tubes; I've just fitted out four tyres for nothing. M.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

8 I made the decision not to shop for anythingbu rice, milk, tomatoes and perhaps coffee for the next month - there is more than enough food in this house!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Mine's possibly a strange one - we've just bought a van! £2k.

As many of you know we've just bought a house for our daughter which requires totally renovating. The quote we've had - mainly for dry-lining comes in at about 18 grand, without materials (not to mention electrics or plumbing)! That bit we can do ourselves but getting materials up here is extortionate. We reckon the van should pay for itself over 2-3 trips to Inverness (carefully combined with the monthly grocery shopping) as we'll be able to bring everything we need.

And I've got a new toy to play with :oops: :roll: :lol:

Now we just need a plumber - anyone available? :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

:D @ GreenAura

10, making wool yarn for socks and sweaters, sheep freely gave the wool (ok I believe a little struggle was involved- but no cost)
11, making jeans go for longer using patches made from swatches disposed of by local manufacturer
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Loving the list so far :iconbiggrin:

12. Going to S@insburys late last night and stocking up on their nice burgers and sausages for 1.00 a pack and ciabbatta and rolls for 40p a pack
13. OH finialy getting the hang of late night bargin hunting :cheers:
14. And then bribing him to have only one burger in return for a slice of bacon which we already had :lol:

Flo

Coming home from the allotment before the ice cream van arrived. I heard the chimes in the distance so got on the bus well before he was due at the gate. :mrgreen:

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

15 Closed down bank account. OK, this is not exactly 'saving' money but now I decide which day to pay bills, rather than on a fixed date.

Oh, and it wasn't really a bank - it was a building society that our government decided to 'demutualise'. So, feck 'em. I'll keep my money on me.

No more tearing around trying to find an ATM that works, so maybe that's a saving!
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

swopped elderberrys in work for sugar i need to make my elderberry jam
eat from me garden
picked apples from the old field
nicked mulberries from a friend with a promise to give him a jar of jam
Darn that Wabbit

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Pickling a load of beetroots. Pretty chioggas again. Pickled sliced roots and stems and shredded and froze the leaves to use as spinach sub in a stew. Bought a load of reduced to clear stuff at a co-op on way home from lottie the other night. That's gone in the freezer for later use.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

...not going shopping at all and using what I already have in stock.

Flo

.... buying a pair of cords for gardening which were too long off the sale rack and turning them up myself. Just a tenner for half an hour's work (could probably have done it faster but it's sodden outside and there's no pressing work inside).

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Flo wrote:.... buying a pair of cords for gardening which were too long off the sale rack and turning them up myself. Just a tenner for half an hour's work (could probably have done it faster but it's sodden outside and there's no pressing work inside).
if you had to turn up a lot - you could cut it off and stitch it inside the knees and leave a gap to slot in some padding for kneeling - or just as a ready-in-place patch
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Flo wrote:.... buying a pair of cords for gardening which were too long.
I don't understand, how can trousers be too long?

[Sorry mini rant from someone who's 5' 10" at a time when all clothing manufacturers are cutting their costs by cutting down on the 'extra-long' sizing].

Good for you anyway.

Zoe