Over use of Anti depressants?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
misslizzy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Over use of Anti depressants?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 pm

I think you'll find that the libido limiting side effects are clearly stated on the information leaflet you get in the packet. For what it's worth, I think having a lower libido is better than being sick :)

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 pm

I take the same pills people take for depression for anxiety - without them i would be housebound like before (outside of work). My life has changed dramatically since taking them though it took 6 months for the negative aspects to subside and the positive things to stabilise. I have been on them for about 3 years now. Without them who knows where i'd be.
Last edited by southeast-isher on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:09 pm

misslizzy wrote:I think you'll find that the libido limiting side effects are clearly stated on the information leaflet you get in the packet.
Along with a list of most of the symptoms you're trying to treat! :scratch:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:32 pm

It definitely is a language problem. There's no such thing as depression per se (whether it's clinical/non-clinical or acute/chronic or any other set of descriptions) - it's a blanket term covering a broad spectrum of symptoms (as is schizophrenia, but that's another story). The biggest problem is that we have a limited number of ways to treat "depression", and all of those ways have successes and failures.

Antidepressants do work - sometimes spectacularly. Sometimes, though, they fail miserably because the wrong "depression" type had been identified for such treatment. Even worse, though, is the "easy way out" syndrome which affects some doctors. The pills are prescribed, they work, they are re-prescribed, and suddenly the patient is conditioned to expect them. We produce addicts, the treatment of whom has nothing to do with the original "depression".

And no - I don't know the answer except to say that automatic repeat prescriptions should be more tightly controlled.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Archanejil
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:00 am

My 2p:

I never understood depression. Not for a second. I didn't understand why people couldn't "just be normal".

When I was 23, my mother had a nervous breakdown. Complete psychotic depression with paranoia. At first, I really didn't understand what was going on. She said she had depression brought on by flu. She went to the GP. GP gave her tablets. They were supposed to help. They didn't and she got worse and ended up with the above.

The GP didn't look to see whether or not the antidepressants she prescribed would mix with my mother's thyroid meds. Needless to say, she put herself in hospital, thanks to the various voices she was hearing. It was all very sad and horrific at the time. Psychotic depression is very different from the depression she had prior -- not only did she feel god awful, but she was hallucinating things that reinforced that and made it worse.

After several months of sheer hell (for the both of us), I finally got a call-out GP to listen to me. My mother narrowly avoided being sectioned (forcibly put into mental health care) because she chose to go in, in the end. Her recovery was far from typical, but she went from certifiable to practically back to normal within 7 weeks because they gave her the correct pills in the hospital. The pills are all *very* different. Some are used for side effect purposes, as mentioned, some are taken and they help a situation. Or make it worse. It's like the contraceptive pill, in a way-- get the wrong one, and you have a bit of a problem on your hands in about 3-4 weeks time, when the emotions start running high -- or low. Sometimes you can't know for sure. Sometimes, there's a bloody good indicator on the packet and the GP should do their bloody homework, not that I have opinions at all, or that formal complaints against the GP were lodged and upheld.

I have taken anti-depressants in the past. But not because I suffer from mental health issues (I don't), but because I do suffer from a variety of sleep disorders. I was given a low dose of an anti-depressant usually used during pain management to help me sleep a bit more soundly. It worked; the issue stopped. I didn't feel any different during this time, and no one seemed to notice any difference (that they mentioned, anyway). I was only on it for about 4 months though.

Sometimes, I think they are used without a full understanding of what they can do. Other times, when someone who knows their stuff is prescribing them, I think they can work. Bear in mind, however, that my mother remained on the pills for over a year after her recovery, with support, such as a social worker/nurse who visited twice weekly for a bit, and counseling/psychiatrist sessions. Her treatment would have failed without that really important support network. It's that in conjunction with the medication, that can really make the difference after a major episode. I really don't think she'd have pulled out of it without both the correct medication and the support.

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 am

there is a difference between a "dip" and a depression.
a true depression last longer than a few weeks and is much more serious.
its good that there are anti depressants, but i really think that docs nowadays are a bit too loose handed with them (prescribing too easily) and definitely carrying on too long, without any form of further counseling .
for the types of depression where your body does lack something because of not being able to produce it by itself, a chemical caused depression, is different, too.
but I think any depression could use additional counseling.
the whole point is the counselors usually don't get "it" or are too limited in their time etc.

I have never been on anti depressants, usually took natural stuff and carried on, stiff upperlip and all.
But i sure know what depression is and its real serious stuff to deal with.........don't think too lightly on it and definitely don't "generalize" or wave with that finger, or tell the patient that they have a choice.
they don't.......its like being a prisoner in your own body.....no way out without help.

boboff

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 am

Well this is an interesting subject area.

I might of mentionted before that I have been prescribing myself anti-depressants for the last 20 years, alcohol. Yeah I know, its a depressive substance, but it does make you feel better.

I was quite bad in my mid twenties, and got prescribed prosac, it was great! I had so much energy, and felt so much better, and then my wife left me. It was only in hindsight that the problems in our relationship, which were not discussed were causing my depression. The minute she left, I though them away, as I felt I now knew what it was that was making me sad.

I did try lots of other therpy's then, and came across anger management, which helped me out. Sounds weird, but the anger that I had been feeling, and channelling inward, the negative thoughts etc, was the thing that was making me "sad" I can't say it was depression. Its been this which has been the ongoing challenge for me.

Having changed my lifestyle over 3 years ago, these sadness episodes, have decreased, and I feel for once long term happy.

My Brother on the other hand has had mental health issues over the same period, which have been diagnosed as Aspergers, Depression, Schitsophrenia (sp sorry) and has been on Meds for all these since a major breakdown in 1996. I am not sure his life is happier or better not working on Meds, than he was before. He is still pretty sad, and over eats to compensate, hence his obesity issue.

My time running a business lead me to manage a number of people, and it is all to common to see depression, or sadness, or what ever take grip of some seriously talented people. From my experience though this is not your depresssion, but lack of ability to challenge anger. This results in poor self worth, image and despondancy, as well as a great ability to unrationally blame all your problems on your boss!

We all see depression spreading, but I think the effect is the pills, the cause is the media hype for success and celebrity, the media insistence on looking at everything from a negative angle, and the greatest thing of all, the fact that people have lost the skill of contentment, it is this contentment, and ability to cherish those around you, rather than wanting to take from them, that makes people "sad"

It is funny in a roundabout way, that these desires for material possessions and "success" are what fuel the consumer society, feed the peak oil and sustainability arguments, and in some way lead us back to our desire to produce for our selves and our families what we need, not what we are told we want.

Although having said that there are loads of "sad acts" on this site, which might knock that theory into a cocked hat ( I include myself in that catgory!)

Still in the words of the M People, as voiced at the election victory in 1997- You bet THINGS< CAN ONLY GET BETTER.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Talking of Doctors dishing out Meds, I know a chap whose little boy is in my daughters class who has been signed off work for years with depression and is on benefits.

After cheerily dropping his son off at school he goes fishing most days and then does the housework, shopping and cooks tea for when his wife gets back from her 2 jobs. :shock: Surely if he can do this he can hold a job down. Should his doctor stop providing sick notes?
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 pm

TheGoodEarth wrote:Talking of Doctors dishing out Meds, I know a chap whose little boy is in my daughters class who has been signed off work for years with depression and is on benefits.

After cheerily dropping his son off at school he goes fishing most days and then does the housework, shopping and cooks tea for when his wife gets back from her 2 jobs. :shock: Surely if he can do this he can hold a job down. Should his doctor stop providing sick notes?
Nope - I think we should all sign on with his doctor.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 pm

If people receiving Meds for depression stopped taking them what would happen? More suicides?

Have just googled suicide trends and globally they have been rising for the last 100 years. And this is with an increase in medication during this period :scratch: Shouldn't the trend be down the way? How much is psychosomatic?
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:07 pm

boboff wrote: I did try lots of other therpy's then, and came across anger management, which helped me out. Sounds weird, but the anger that I had been feeling, and channelling inward, the negative thoughts etc, was the thing that was making me "sad" I can't say it was depression. Its been this which has been the ongoing challenge for me.

My time running a business lead me to manage a number of people, and it is all to common to see depression, or sadness, or what ever take grip of some seriously talented people. From my experience though this is not your depresssion, but lack of ability to challenge anger. This results in poor self worth, image and despondancy, as well as a great ability to unrationally blame all your problems on your boss!
This is an interesting point boboff and makes alot of sense to me - I figure it's similar to the skills you learn in CBT to change how you respnd to things. It's funny I always think of anger management as something that people who over-express their anger go to, I've never thought that anger management would be of any use to someone who turns anger on themselves, but now that you mention it it totally makes sense :icon_smile:
I changed my signature because it was rubbish; I like what you said

The Riff-Raff Element

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:19 pm

boboff wrote: We all see depression spreading, but I think the effect is the pills, the cause is the media hype for success and celebrity, the media insistence on looking at everything from a negative angle, and the greatest thing of all, the fact that people have lost the skill of contentment, it is this contentment, and ability to cherish those around you, rather than wanting to take from them, that makes people "sad"
Depression might be caused by a chemical imbalance but something must go ahead and trigger that imbalance. It's probably not the whole story, but I think you've got a point.

There is no doubt in my mind that the inappropriate use of drug therapy to combat old-fashioned unhappiness is a factor in increasing the number of people suffering from genuine, full blown, depression. And as someone else has already pointed out, I think, not enough is done in advance of handing out the drugs to try to get people to confront their unhappiness (and that can include telling them to get over themselves and count their blessings, an approach that always works on me :shock: ).

Sometimes I even incline to the view that ignorance might indeed be bliss, that we're all too well informed and feel the weight of the world on our shoulders. Just a thought.

southeast-isher

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:02 pm

They definitely work for me in combating panic attacks.

Susie

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm

I had an episode of depression last year (in some ways I suspect it's still ongoing but I'm much better). I'm not sure you would necessarily call it depression - perhaps just a dip. Mine was absolutely caused by external things - it was a response to an unbearable job situation (which I resolved). I deliberately didn't take medication because I felt it was a reaction to events and as such would pass eventually, also, I felt I needed to feel it, if that makes sense. I worked in a job where I watched a lot of people have breakdowns, in sometimes very unlikeable ways, and a lot of the times it seemed to go spectacularly wrong was when people tried to project all their unhappy internal stuff onto exterior people and things. I think I was trying to work through the internal stuff, and not lose self-awareness.

So I suppose I have tried to confront (specific, situational) unhappiness. It wasn't easy to function through it, though, and I don't know if I'd do it like that again or not. I don't like the idea of medication (for me), because I am not prone to depression generally. If I was, that would be a different thing, and I would feel differently.

All very complicated ;-).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Of course excercise helps as the norepinephrine increase picks you up - course when you've got a heavy depression, I reckon you're likely to sit and think about it for a week before even attempting to get the running shoes on :lol:
I changed my signature because it was rubbish; I like what you said