left handed tools!!!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

left handed tools!!!

bought a sickle today to aid in my clearing of allotment, and ofcourse, all sickles in shop are right handed... looks like i am gonna have to be ambidextrous or cut on the back hand...

any other lefties out there with tool trouble?
|You can't feel lonely with nature as your companion| millican dalton

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Yeah, I am a left handed person!

I think we have to adapt to right handed tools for a lot of things. Scissors being one of them.

Back handed sickling is probably safer anyway! Bet yer didn't think of that, you won't be hacking at your ankles. :wink:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Shirley

Also a leftie... but only for writing.. I use right hand for most other things... scissors, chop veggies using right hand, dig with right hand (attached to a spade/fork of course lol)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Martin

me too! - bloody scissors! :geek:
The worst part of being "sinister" is that you "look wrong" to right-handed people when doing something - "ohhhh you do look AWKWARD" is the usual........ :geek:
We are a sorely discriminated against minority - in this present loony environment, shouldn't there be " left-handers' outreach workers?" - counselling for the years of HELL we've all suffered - all those years of being told you're "awkward" - all that discrimination - our poor tattered self-esteem!!!!! :geek:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Boots

You know, this is all so true.

As a mum of a lefty, I have really watched my daughter struggle and nothing pisses me off more than seeing just how often the school system and larger system totally overlook the lefties.

She goes to school sports carnivals and is directed to high jump as right handed, because why? What... It's amusing maybe, to see someone fall and hurt themselves?

She goes into the Home Ec Room, and there are only right handed potato peelers, so she is still peeling spuds when everyone else has their shepherds pie in the oven, and copping "Oooh come on, hurry up!" from the learned one.

I have spent 8 years DEMANDING schools provide left handed scissors. Going in identifying each left handed student, ordering them scissors, suggesting seating changes, so they don't spend all day getting in strife from both teacher and peer from bumping the kid in the next seat while copping crap for just doing their work.

My daughter now also says "Well, I write with my left, but do everything else with my right." Well, is it any wonder? She has been moulded by a society that is totally intolerant and or ignorant of individual differences!

Society has begrudgingly accepted .... "Ok, so she writes with the other hand".... but that is all they accepted. There has been little understanding or consideration for left handedness at all out in the systems as she has grown up... instead each and every leftie I know well (Mother-in-law, brother, daughter, mates) have each been conditioned into a sense of ambidextrousness.

It is something that really annoys me... because I just don't think lefties are able to perform to their best ability when they are constantly being turned around and moulded into psuedo-righthanded folk.

*hops of soapbox and kicks it to the left* :mrgreen:

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i did a search on google and found a left handed sickle,. so i think i will buy it!!! (although i think shiney is right, back handed sickle action would be safer!!)

it is amazing, that left handed people do have it hard, even in this day and age.

scissors!!! what a nightmare, took me a long time to realise i couldn't cut properly because the scissors were for right handed people!

my dad used to call me "cack handed"

i went on a tree felling and coppicing course end of last year, and we were doing some knot tying, and it got very confusing, as i was the only left handed person, and had to try and work out how to tie the knot from looking at how a right handed person is tying it then reverse it so that i could do it left handed. (probably doesn't sound too tricky, but i found it very confusing)
|You can't feel lonely with nature as your companion| millican dalton