In what ways aren't you green?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
prison break fan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: In what ways aren't you green?

We have a weekly coal delivery here in west sussex, but I try to buy in bulk at the cheaper summer prices. That is my main ungreen thing, as I have a solid fuel Rayburn which if I want to keep it in at night, needs a shovel of coalite. I mostly burn foraged wood and scrounged pallets. Television is my other "weakness"! pbf.

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Umm,

The family car
The old campervan
The hubbys 4x4 for work......which is supplying firewood, which makes me feel a bit better :oops:

But seriously three cars for a family of 4, the maths don't add up. :roll: :?

The camper is a fair weather vehicle. And will be used very infrequently over the winter, maybe for family days out and picnics, but otherwise it is treacherously cold during the winter, ice on the inside of the screen and all that. But next year Hubby has plans to fix the heater channels, totally replace the front panels and get the heating as effeciant as possible, then hopefully I can drive that for my three days at work, and we can get rid of the car. Still not as good as 1, but living rurally I can only catch a bus that goes in one of two directions, neither of which goes to my place of work...

He is however dreaming up plans to buy a type two double cab pickup, and replace the engine with a diesel one, and sign write it to use for his business.....

See what I have to put up with! :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Lorna x

Minnesota
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think I've posted this on a similar thread last spring...But here it goes again.

My Sin to my body and environment is...
I love processed sandwich meat.
I try to abstain, but the Vacuum packaged mechanically separated parts of various animals raised in various parts of the world with added chemical preservatives only a specialized chemist is familiar with, just calls out my name.

Mylovelyhorse
Tom Good
Tom Good

My biggest non-green sin... is that I've just bought a tumble drier. I'm hanging my head in shame as I type...

We're moving to a house in France in a couple of weeks. The house doesn't have an airing cupboard. It has radiators, but I think I'd prefer them to be heating the house rather than some damp clothes (especially as the house has been empty for a couple of years). So I've succumbed, and have bought the most energy efficient tumble drier I could get.

Honest.

Am i forgiven?? :pale:

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

We ALWAYS have a take away on Friday night as a bit of a weekend treat/lazy/tired thing! However, the plastic containers they deliver it in are quite good quality and the perfect size for freezing portions of other meals in so they do get reused. I reckon that makes it better!

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

I drive about 25,000 miles a year which I don't like doing but I have to due to work. I couldn't bring myself to buy a petrol car when doing this amount of miles so have the most eco diesel estate I could find.

My real anti-green guilt trip however is my bike which has a very poor mpg. However it is great fun.
Vmax
Vmax
Yamaha Vmax.jpg (17.11 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

too many to mention - altho like most peeps, we try and do as much as poss but still have a very western life
I drive too much - one of those rural issues and altho i have a diesel car which is pretty efficient I'm actually pleased to say that my motorbike does even better mpg so i try to use that most of the time in the good weather.
As I've got older I've discovered i now seem to have a different set of waterproofs for everything instead of one set does all
I love outdoor sports so ski, board, windsurf and surf all of which involve driving to destination and oil to make the toys
We live in a big house - and there's just 2 of us and the cat
I use my lappy all day every day pretty much - i've just started working from home so will be using more power here but less daily driving altho my job involves me trecking up to the far north quite a bit at the mo
I eat overpackaged foods
We're ongrid and have oil heating
We can both be shopaholics - OH buys lots of magazines - we do use ebay loads tho to sell on the stuff we've replaced or havent used in ages
eek, this is starting to get really awful - I'm off - it's all getting too much :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

ethical rather than green: fair trade bananas. 1. the ones in our local shos are always really pants, either green or bruised all over and soph just wont eat them :( 2. sometimes i just cant afford the extra money for craier bananas. sophie and james eat so many bananas it does make a financial difference!

i am a cotton wool junkie. I love my central heating. jim commutes by car. we own a tropical fish tank (but i insist on only uk cativity bred fish cos theyve never known any different. sometimes i go look at the tropicals in the aquarium shop and i really feel for the ex-wild ones. they look so depressed :( i think finding nemo ruined fish tanks for me lol!!)

our loft isnt insulated very well, but its not our resonsability it's the landlord's... we're doing what we can with second hand duvets lol.

I use mr muscle kitchen cleaner spray.

we're on grid. i read a selection of magazines. i love plastic; sorry but without olymer lenses my glasses would be incredibly heavy and so would sophie's... and yes, i do buy toys and other goods from china; BUT sophie's drink flask and lunchbox for school are BA free and european made.

we use less gas than we used to, but we use more electricity so it balances out lol!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Thurston Garden

I am a commercial property developer. :shock:

I'll get my coat....
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Susie

:lol:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Susiwaa
Tom Good
Tom Good

Too many to list, not doing very well in the green stakes right now.

we have 2 vehicles, we use way too much electricity (i'm pretty sure the teenager actually runs off the stuff!) and there are simply too many chemicals in our house.

On the plus side, with being skint we have reduced our needless buying of "stuff" and our chucking out of old "stuff" to make room for the new! lol!

:flower:

Susi

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

i use pore clensing strips. not Bioré; an own brand. but still made in china. and sorry, they're not only effective on my nose, they're fascinating in a disgusting way.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm... Well I used to only buy second hand clothes and since deciding to move up to scotland I have gone on a bit of a waterproof shopping spree. I think my eco sins might rapidly increas next year as I haven't flown for 5 years and I don't drive but I wonder if the move up North will put pay to those things? The cost of the train vs plane is just silly and things tend to be quite far apart the further up north you go. But who knows might still keep to that.

Mind you I am sitting here freezing my nads off as we still haven't put the heating on for longer than 1 hour and this old house acts like a fridge. So I guess I'm still pretty good.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Hm, where to start, on second thoughts I will wait until someone starts a thread called "In what way are you being green" that way I won't have to spend hours typing.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Susiwaa
Tom Good
Tom Good

Andy Hamilton wrote:Hmm... Well I used to only buy second hand clothes and since deciding to move up to scotland I have gone on a bit of a waterproof shopping spree. I think my eco sins might rapidly increas next year as I haven't flown for 5 years and I don't drive but I wonder if the move up North will put pay to those things? The cost of the train vs plane is just silly and things tend to be quite far apart the further up north you go. But who knows might still keep to that.

Mind you I am sitting here freezing my nads off as we still haven't put the heating on for longer than 1 hour and this old house acts like a fridge. So I guess I'm still pretty good.
You should save your spending till you get here, there are a few outlets selling good quality but definitely affordable outdoor gear in the shopping-hell that is Livingston. Not any more green but less expensive!

It's not that cold up here, we only occassionally have to defrost the inside of the windows! :wink:

Susi