When did you pack your hospital bag?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
BabyChrissy1993
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

When did you pack your hospital bag?

I don't know where exactly I should post this so I chose here.

I have all the baby things bought now and just buying little things now and then.
I was wondering though, when did you pack your hospital bag? I have searched around a few sites but mostly people say they packed it when they where in labor, I'd like to be a little more prepared than that! :)

How many weeks/months where you when yours was packed?
I am 32 weeks now and wondering if it's something I should be thinking about doing or something I can put off for a bit longer. :)

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: When did you pack your hospital bag?

No need - had them both on the living room floor! then made tea and with my second colected my son from school, after walking there! later that day!

crowsashes
A selfsufficientish Regular

i had mine ready quite early, but that was because i was moving house and it made sense to have it there ready rather than in cardboard boxes.

id get it ready now, while you think about it, you can then easily pick up anything else you need. and honestly, your labour might be long and slow ( great for bag packing) or it could be very fast.

i was also unlucky enough to get admitted before i had my son ( multitude of problems that wernt actually problems :roll: ) so having it ready was a real help as i didnt have to give out instructions to where everything was

citizentwiglet

First baby - I'd been thinking about doing it for weeks, but never got round to it. Sprog decided he'd quite like to make an appearance at 35 weeks, so the other half packed my bags - one for me, one for sprog - whilst I had the prescribed bath and paracetamol.
Second baby - I'd packed his bag, didn't get round to my own. Just had time to grab a scabby t-shirt for giving birth in, and made a dash for the hospital. OH popped home after the birth and brought me some fresh clothes to wear home (I was out within a few hours).
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Milims

When my waters broke! My son decided he was on his way at 32 weeks. As soon as I realised I was pregnant with my daughter I packed a bag. I called it my elephant bag. You know the story of the man throwing bits of tissue out of the train window to keep the elephants away and another man in the carriage asked what he was doing. He said "I'm throwing bits of tissue out of the window to keep the elephants away" THe other man said "but there are no elephants" so the first man said "see it works!" Such was my theory - if I had my bag packed immediately it wold keep labour away until it was the right time! It worked! :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Pack it now ready, leave it where you keep reminding your self where it is, and I would rehearse the route you're going to take, especially in rush hour - find your way around the hospital and know where you need to go and how to get passed security in the middle of the night. Have change ready for parking at the hospital and keep fuel in the car at all times and some cash spare to take with you. If you're ready now then you can feel more relaxed.

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd get it packed good and early, you're bound to have half the stuff out for babs dozens of times just so that you can gaze at the wee suits and whatnots (I know I certainly did!) :wink:

I had mine packed at least a month before my due date for my first, and was already in the Observation ward at the local hospital when number two decided to put in a appearance so it was a forgone conclusion that she would be born in the hospital so everything was already packed and ready.

I loved all the pottering and preparations, esp for my first (no LO to disturb the peace like second time round!! :lol: ) make the most of it and enjoy it as pretty soon you hands will be sooooo full you'll wonder what you did with all the time! :hugish:

Lorna x

BabyChrissy1993

Okay thank you everyone :grouphug:

I have made a list of things I will need and things the baby will need for the stay in hospital. I have got most of the things, just waiting for my new PJ's to come and they will be in it.

Thanks for your help and advise :) x

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's nice that you come on here to ask that, Chrissie. But your best mate at the moment is your Mum - she's had a little bit of experience here. Ask her.

And best of luck, by the way. I'm sure everything will go fine and you'll end up with your very own, very healthy, pain in the arse :lol:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Julysea
Tom Good
Tom Good

You probably won't need half the stuff that the books tell you to take. I didn't have a bag at all with my first as she was a planned home birth and we transferred to hospital during labour and I had nothing with me at all.

Second one was a home birth, so no need to pack anything - much better.
Liz

vicki
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'm 36 weeks gone and have been packed for months! I hope to only be in hospital for a matter of hours but just incase... I've packed for about 6 months :lol:

Baby is breech at the moment though so they are threatening me with a c-section. Obviously I'm wetting myself in fear at the thought!

Milims

Oooohhhh more babies! You'll have to let us know how it all goes - don't forget we'd love to see a pic!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Mine were both early so I wasn't ready either time, get it packed - and don't forget slippers :)
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

bonniethomas06

Aww, good luck. You are making me all broody!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

thesunflowergal

Hi Chrissie

Orin bag packed at 30ish weeks.
Trixie packed at 23 weeks ( she was born at 29 weeks, there are some piccies on fb)
Teme packed at 27 weeks.

Remember a book, it can be quite boring waiting around.

Nikki xx
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/