omg how bloody exiting

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Russian Doll
A selfsufficientish Regular

omg how bloody exiting

ive become known on the estate as the hippy chick who grows stuff that cant be smoked lol

well the estates manager came to see my yesterday and asked me if id like a plot of council land to grow veg on...its been sitting there for years and just been left to get weedy...

all i have to figure out is how to keep the yobs yes we do have some from destroying it

any ideas

eccentric_emma

Re: omg how bloody exiting

that is exciting!

grow holly all around it. nothing to obviously security orientated i.e. a fence as that will just present them a challenge.

maybe look up some guerilla gardening websites as they are aimed at gardening in public places that may get destroyed so they may have some useful tips!!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

offer them some strawberries? :lol:
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

John Headstrong

First try to get them involved, then they wont trash their own stuff.

and a nice thick hawthorn hedge, keep it hacked down for a few years to get it nice and thick and growing sideways, hawthorn is a bugger to get though once it is woven together

maybe 2 rows staggered like

Code: Select all

x  x  x  x  x
  x  x  x  x
eccentric_emma is right, a fence is a challenge and also expensive

sounds like a great start of a project, got any pictures ? we could help design from afar !

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

i can go take some hawthorne cuttings so long as you dont mind them being itty bitty baby plants.

is there no way the council can help with a basic fence?
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Fencing should really be a last resort, I'm not a yob, but I'm the right age, and am an anarchist :booty: : fences are for climbing, destroying, grafittiying on...
No, try a more active defence, ie. negotiation, it sounds like there is a minimum of community spirit on your estate, if you can actually get near the manager... maybe get em involved in digging? :wink:
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

yeah, start up a community project or something [maybe ask the council for funding?]..

failing that, grow gooseberries! theyre spiky bastards (i learnt the hard way)..

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Nod Nod I agree, either invite them in to help (offer them a space to grow something nice - like fruit) and/or ask them if they will help by keeping an eye on your plot anytime you're not there.

Yobs only become like that when they have stuff to rail against - authority/fences/walls/keep out notices.
If they are included - asked for help or advice they will more likely be good as gold.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Russian Doll

thanx for all your replies...that is going to be my first course of action anyway
im planning on planting some very cheap veg and get the kids involved...fingers crossed they will respond...we are going to get some spoilage the first time round as there are some gits on this estate you just cant reach thus the low cost crops..hopefully by spring next year it will just become one of those things that is there and they dont bother with

bantamlady
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Try and get them to do some of the clearing in return for maybe getting a big pizza for them to share afterwards. The ask them what sort of food they would grow if they were doing it. Food and teenagers always go together well!
The cock may crow but the hen delivers the goods!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Claymore mines :wink:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Milims

You are clearly setting a very good example! I think it's fantastic that you've been asked to do this! Perhaps there is some kind of funding for a community project that could help.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

bantamlady wrote:Try and get them to do some of the clearing in return for maybe getting a big pizza for them to share afterwards. The ask them what sort of food they would grow if they were doing it. Food and teenagers always go together well!
you know us far too well
[ignore the fact im 20..]