Cat advice please !!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
deborah
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Cat advice please !!

My 2 cats are driving me mad, help !

They're 13 yo tomcats. Had them since they were about 6 weeks old. They're housecats as I never lived anywhere that was safe for them to go out. They're snipped, healthy. And trying to drive me insane!

One cat, Toby, has always had an occasional habit of wandering round the house yowling at night. Over the last few months it has got worse, its for several hours every night. Me & my boyf can't sleep through it, it's very loud.

The other cat, Billy, has now decided that he wants to playfight & run up and down the stairs every night, also making lots of noise.

Nothing has changed in their lives to upset them. And they're still loving, healthy etc.

There is nowhere in the house to lock the cats away from us. If we lock them out of the bedroom they attack the door to get in. I can't putthem outside for the night. My boyf has been sleeping on the sofa so he can get some kip. I'm exhausted. This morning it was nearly 2a.m before they settled down.

I've tried sprayng them with water, lobbing rolled up socks at them etc.

The thought of turning them into a set of fluffy slippers is growing in our minds !!

Any helpful suggestions ?

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Cat advice please !!

Hmmm, If Toby is yowling more than usual maybe he is in pain in some way? Are his other habits all normal? It may be that he isn't feeling well and this is upsetting the other one and making him restless too?

StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

I suspect the yowling one is sick in some way maybe even something like a tooth ache, I know my Moms cat was very vocal a while ago and she had some kind of bug and they thought they were going to loose her she was that sick but also she had a cracked tooth which had gone bad and was hurting her.

To be honest none of us here are Vets and if you are that annoyed then your best bet weould be to cal a vet and ask their opinion and they would be more well placed to help you!

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Can you try separating them at night into 2 different rooms?

JulieSherris

Deborah, I spent 14 years with an open bedroom door at night & used to wake up wearing a half persian black hat at night, padding at my head....

And for small lithe animals, a running pusscat sounds like a baby elephant at 2am, huh?

Our old lady only stopped the night habits once we moved & we were able to leave her in the utility room with the dogs & an open window - but it was hard work getting her used to it!
Kittens are gorgeous, but bad habits are nearly always caused by us in the first place.... :?

Actually, I've just thought of something.... you know those green'Cat Off' jelly crystals that you can get in the pet shops? I used to fill a little string washing tablet bag with those & hang them on the inner branches of our Xmas tree to keep the cats off - and it worked!
You could try a couple of those pinned at nose level on the bedroom doorframe - it might keep them out your bedroom & you can start to shut the door.
Just a thought!
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

evelyn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Nothing may have changed in ther life but what about yours? cats are sensitive little darlings, i have been suffering the same sort of nightly misscheife lately and i think it may be because i am not getting home at my usual time in the afternoon.

Cats like to protest. LOUDLY!! and if they can knock stuff over all the better.

And as i got chuks the other day (more change) i feer getting up at 3:40am is my lot for a time.

Eve

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello Deborah,

I'm sorry to hear that you cat is in distress. And that you're loosing sleep! Few thing are as draining as a lack of sleep.

Have a look here:
http://www.vickyhalls.net/feline_faqs.asp#13

Seems to me that the first course of action is a visit to the vet. Perhaps take the hints in the link with you to give the vet a clue.

I think the other cat is just stressed out by the changed behaviour of its mate of 13 years.
Could that be?

Please do not punish the cats with shouts or spray. It's no use (truly, honestly) and will only stress out the cats more and may well make the behaviour worse.

Our moggy (now 16) has had an enormous improvement of her happiness since we feed her via one of those small balls with a hole in them. All her biscuit food goes in and she rolls the ball to ' earn' it. Gives her total control over her food, as she now can find some when she wants; even in the middle of the night. She has to work for it but that is a good thing. Cats are programmed to work for their food. She's never bored, now, or frustrated because she wants food. And she hasn't gained weight either. Anyway, just to show that you can learn an old cat new tricks to improve their lives.

Good luck,
Jandra

Thomzo

Hi
Is the yowling cat wandering around or just standing still and yowling at nothing? I've come across this behaviour before where an old cat just stands yowling at nothing. Unfortunately, it seems to be associated with old age. It does seem to get worse with stress though. Unfortunately, if it is an age related problem then there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it. But it might just stop of its own accord.

Sorry to be pessimistic.

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

sleepyowl

Cats are fussy buggers, mine generally start yowling for food or because they they wat to get in somewhere where they are not allowed, this is why we shut them downstairs for the night. The only other reason that I have known them to yowl is when they leave their food in the summer & with the door open slugs get in on their food 7 then it is more of a yuck thing.

Cats were created by nature to annoy humans who aren't suckered into there cuteness.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Millymollymandy

Don't talk to me about yowling at the moment - puss is going to the vet at 2pm to have his teeth descaled. That means a gen anaesthetic and no food since 7pm last night or water from bedtime.

Poor guy can't understand why he is hungry and thirsty. :( :( :( He's always a squealy cat when he's hungry anyway - he's overweight and is on a constant diet so gets fed 5 small meals a day and can be really squealy in between meal times anyway, but this morning it is quite heartbreaking because you just can't explain it to a pet. I won't let him outside either (cos he'd find water to drink).

However when the cat basket appears I think the penny will drop for him! Poor guy. Though thinking about it I'd rather be knocked out when having my teeth scaled, it isn't a nice experience! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

surfpeach
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Debbie,

I have a 20 yr old cat and she does this at night sometimes, but then is stops for weeks and starts again, the vet has looked at her and found nothing physical wrong and we are putting it down to old age. I have also heard of cats with hyper thyroids doing this, so I think Toby would be best to see a vet. Is Toby always hungry and sometimes sick? this can be a sign also and losing weight ? The other cat is most likely picking something up hence the running around at night but to be honest my 5 yr old cat does this every night too, they are night creatures and he goes outside. Good luck and let us know. Surfpeach