are people relying more on make do and mend?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: are people relying more on make do and mend?

Unfortunately it aint necessarily so!

At one of the schools where I occasionally do supply work, an older teacher was looking at the National Collection of moulds and fungi which had accumulated on the staffroom mugs and tea-spoons. "I'll take this lot home at the weekend, put it in my dishwasher and sterilize the lot!" she announced.

"Why bother?" asked a young NQT, "Sling 'em out and get new, they're cheap enough at Ikea!"

Sound of chins hitting floor from older teacher and self who are both old enough to remember we had ration books until 1954. (I don't remember but my Mum tells me I did!)

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well, I fully intend (full of good intentions!) to recycle my clothes...

Having dropped a lot of dress sizes, I have some nice everyday tops & some wearable trousers which are perfectly fine, just miles too big... so I'm going to have a few sewing machine days & see if I can't bulk my wardrobe up again with some old favourites!

And... I've even started cutting the zips & buttons off clothes for my sewing box - just like Nan used to - when did we stop doing that anyway?

Little Leah came home from school last friday & told us that Mr Granley (the teacher for the 2nd yr infants) doesn't give the kids sweeties for being good, he has Robbie the Robot to help him.... who is made of:
A cereal box, yoghurt pot for his nose, bottle tops for his eyes & a battery for his mouth

He is, apparently, made of 'Gar-Bidge'.... and was 'Ree-cycled'.... Leah was impressed! :mrgreen:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think make do and mend should be the way forward( I have a little patchwork in a frame with make do and mend embroidered on it on my kitchen wall)after all landfill is nearly full and why does everything have to be shiny and new that's why the country is in this mess everyone seems to have to have new ,it's so sad.
Clare
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The handle of my food processor was repaired at the weekend (well, taped up to hold it all together) - a few years ago I would have bought a whole new processor because of a cracked handle ( :oops: ), even a year ago I would have had to buy a least a replacement part - now I'm really chuffed with my 'make do and mend' version.

My mother doesn't recognise me any more. :lol:
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

JulieSherris wrote:.....And... I've even started cutting the zips & buttons off clothes for my sewing box - just like Nan used to - when did we stop doing that anyway? ....
I never stopped :lol: unless clothes were going to the charity shop.

Just found in the mountain of 'stuff' that I'm trying to sort
- two shower curtains
so it looks like making a good few showerproof shopping bags has been added to my sewing list :cheers:
I may have to put some into the swapshop
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

so it looks like making a good few showerproof shopping bags has been added to my sewing list
Oh Snapdragon, that's brilliant! I have an old shower curtain I didn't know what to do with...THANKS!!! :hugish:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!