What do you do with unwanted gifts?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.

What would you do with unwanted Christmas gifts

Bin them
5%
Leave them languishing in a corner of the loft for a few years, then leave them when you move out
11%
Ebay them
26%
Freecycle them
42%
Learn to love them
16%

Total votes: 19

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What do you do with unwanted gifts?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:57 pm

This thread makes me realise how lucky I am in that I don't have lots of people who buy presents for me. My family consists of myself and my mother and we always agree what are going to give each other. I gave her a dressing gown that she asked for and she gave me a year's membership of Wiltshire Wildlife Trust.

Other than that I have a few good friends. They are a joy to buy for and they nearly always get me something suitable. Just occasionally I will get jewellery or make-up that I can't wear so I save it and pass it on to someone who can.

This year I got some make-up in a lovely case from one friend as part of the present. I noticed that they had been giving this set away as a freebie if you spent so much on the make-up. That didn't matter to me in the slightest, the make-up was perfect timing as I had just run out of mascara and face-cream. The case is useful as well. So I take the view that just because I don't want/need something, there is bound to be someone who does. I get value out of giving a present away as I haven't had to spend my own money so everybody wins.

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:29 pm

The people who get me duff gifts prefer to give to charity anyway - but they get the impression that I am materialistic and because I make them all something they have to buy something for me...... I don't understand that.

The others just spend too much.... I don't understand that either.

I do always get some really well thought out gifts from a few people though - and they are often the cheaper things :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:28 pm

Green Aura wrote: - am I trying too hard? :roll:
Yes - next year give her the nutcrackers back - nicely wrapped of course :wink: if she's happy to give them then she should be happy to receive them.

:hugish:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Shabba
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:51 am

I'm going to try and have a much more "homemade" Christmas next year. I tend to buy stuff from charity shops or eco catalogues for people, but I admit I'm the type of person who often gets people what I think they should have rather than what they would really like! My Dad and step siblings, for instance, don't give a toss about environmental concerns etc but I refuse to buy anything that isn't ethically produced in some way but I try and ensure it will be useful to them.

Most of my unwanted stuff goes to the charity shop, unless it looks expensive in which case I'd probably try and sell it and use the money for something I did really want.

You do wonder what people are thinking of sometimes though, don't you?! One of my partners best friends got him a "grow your own xmas tree" kit. (My partner is 36 yrs old and very practical). It wasn't even a proper tree, it was a cardboard tree that you stand in some kind of chemical and it grows coloured furry stuff all over it! When he opened it he just looked at me totally mystified and said in a very matter-of-fact tone "but......I don't want it".

On the other hand, my Mum made me some beautiful xmas place mats, with cross-stitch robins and holly on them. She even made the gift box and decorated it all with decoupage. I think of all the presents I got that was the nicest.

And I've pretty much realised that as much as I love choosing presents for my partner, he doesn't really appreciate them. 3 of the things I bought him just sat on the lounge floor for several weeks after he opened them on xmas day. He gave them a cursory glance when he opened them then set them aside and forgot them. So I not going to bother next year!!! I don't mean to imply he's ungrateful, its just prezzies don't mean that much to him.

Flo

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Maybe you have hit the nail on the head Shabba in that presents mean less nowadays because most of us have all the things that we need and a lot of things that we want. There's none of the saving up and waiting for things.

I suspect that if we could get away from the culture of giftmas once a year we might do a little better with giving presents.