The Wonder of Woolworth's

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
invisiblepiper
A selfsufficientish Regular

The Wonder of Woolworth's

Had to post this! I just came back from a wlak to town - and of course our small seaside town size Woolworths is closing with the rest. Thought I would pop in - just for a look.

Big mistake: people are swooping on stuff like vultures, fighting over 'bargains' and there is a sign saying that staff will not tolerate violence or abuse! To cap it all - people in the queues are COMPLAINING about waiting to pay and saying how great the prices are. The poor staff, who will be unemployed by New Year have to listen to all this AND stay polite.

Now Woollies was never a favourite store - but it was handy for school sox and stationary. I felt really disgusted.

There is nothing I really need. So I left - it felt too much like looting to me! :?
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

ilan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: The Wonder of Woolworth's

Mus admit only used them on the odd occasion , But I have a couple of there apple trees in the garden that are now over ten years old and doing well , also used to use there own brand of seeds as well .
we just borrow the earth leave it better than you found it

Thomzo

I know exactly what you mean. I feel for the poor staff, the general public are so unfeeling. There was a queue to get into the Swindon Woolies when I walked past last week.

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

invisiblepiper wrote: Now Woollies was never a favourite store - but it was handy for school sox and stationary. :?

Following Woolies closing in our local town yesterday and the news about Adams (another shop which although rarely used did do school uniform) today, if they go then we are left with a 15 mile journey to get school trousers and jumper for our eldest boys, We went for a wander round the closest 'big' town to us this morning and since last their in November there were 7 empty shops in the main square, although I'd not gone to do much shopping and was able to get all I needed I came away feeling everso gloomy, and so sorry for people who work in the shops at the moment, as it can;t be nice waiting for the next one to fall into trouble.
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Adams too?! holy cow poo.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Penny Lane

Just heard about Adams too, darn it!

I used to pick up a few clothes for DS in Woolies, when there was a sale. At this rate I'm going to HAVE to buy his clothes from a**a or t***o.

Will have to dig out sewing machine & get good at sewing clothes! but patterns & fabric are so expensive
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

linzibean
Tom Good
Tom Good

It was sad to see Woolies so bare yesterday, I managed to pick up a pile of spare school jumpers for the school though (we have a stash for not so well off kids who tend to come without them) at 80% off. Where will I go to for uniforms when I have my own sprogs?? I'd better start knitting school jumpers now :roll:
When I was young people called me a hippy. Now I'm a bit older I'm just called environmentally aware..... that's progress!

Thomzo

Penny Lane wrote:
At this rate I'm going to HAVE to buy his clothes from a**a or t***o.
The saddest thing about this whole credit crunch is that it will force everyone into the arms of the supermarkets. In the end choice is going to be so badly reduced. But, in my mission to find the good things about the recession, it does mean that there will be more opportunities for start ups and niche retailers once the recession is over.
Penny Lane wrote: but patterns & fabric are so expensive
You could try recycled fabric from charity shop bought clothes and second hand patterns from charity shops, car boots, freecycle or ask on here? I know a certain Mrs Flibble who could give you loads of tips and ideas.

Cheers
Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

Sally Jane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I used to live in Luton where there was a massive, two storey, Woolworths. It was so big, bright and spacious it was apparently where they used to make their all-star spectacular Christmas ads in the 70s and early 80s. (Remember those?)
Over the years it got cheaper and tackier, and only the music and video,and pic'n'mix kept it going.
I think it had a bit of a renaissance a few years back, but when Wilkinson and Poundstretcher hit the high streets Woolies didn't have enough to fight back with.
I have been deeply saddened to hear about the treatment of the staff by some customers. I have worked in retail myself and know just how unpleasant some people can be.
I will miss Woolies - like many people I only used it occasionally, but among the things I could get from there that I can't get without going into the next town will be fabric dye, anti-condensation crystals, Clarnico mint Creams, affordable dvd/video/audio stuff, school uniform, a one-person teapot, shoe soles, and lots of other things I won't miss until I can't find them....

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Penny Lane wrote:Just heard about Adams too, darn it!
I used to pick up a few clothes for DS in Woolies, when there was a sale. At this rate I'm going to HAVE to buy his clothes from a**a or t***o.
Will have to dig out sewing machine & get good at sewing clothes! but patterns & fabric are so expensive
Yes I reckon the giant supernasties are rubbing their hands with glee
Our local fabric shop closed down two years ago - the owners retired and there was so much stock that no-one would buy the place with stock.
nearest place for patterns and fabric is now 20 miles or more, but they don't have the variety or quality that the local shop had :cry:
i wonder how the shoe sole makers, the pick'n'mix manufacturers and Dylon will cope?
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Woolies are one of the "big two" over here. We have a large one within 5 minutes walk.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Flo

Tis the second of the many to go - MFI, Woollies, Whittards of Chelsea, Officers Club, Zavvi, Adams so far. All within a few weeks. Use up your Christmas vouchers folks. Else you may never get anything with them at this rate. :roll:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I went to out local woolies the other day.

I got a big box of those jelly peach sweets - i LOVE them...but i fear i will be sick of them by the time i get to the bottom of the box...Also, there was a rather large sale in the stationery department. I have a bit of an addiction to stationery so i got out a fiver and filled my little boots! It is a shame that they're going, but seriously, with all the cr4p cleared from the shelves, i suddenly saw things that were really useful! They were just hidden by rubbish!

Sadly a lot of the shops that are going have slowly only catered for certain markets, and they will lose out to the supernasties, and to shops like poundstretcher and wilkinson because they have believed for so long that people will buy into the name and therefore keep shopping there, but with the pices, a lot of people just can't afford it anymore.

The good news is the Whittards are being taken over by Past Times, so i can still get Christmas coffee and tea!

Millymollymandy

Wombat wrote:Woolies are one of the "big two" over here. We have a large one within 5 minutes walk.

Nev
Isn't Woolies a supermarket chain where you are? I think that's what they are in the US as well aren't they? :? In the UK they are not a supermarket - just sell odds and ends type of stuff. I haven't visited one for must be 20 years (in fact I thought they'd closed down yonks ago :lol: ) and I remember them mostly because they sold records and sweets! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Milims

Has anyone heard the Nancy Griffiths song Love in the Five and Dime? It's about Woolworths. She does a wonderful introduction to it - have a listen - it's a wonderful tribute. It's on Youtube - but I can't make it work on my pooter so I can't post the link - sorry.
Oh and I called in the other day to buy some unnecessary plastic objects - just because I'll miss Woolies!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!