would you vote for an independent Scotland?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

would you vote for an independent Scotland?

Having visited the parliament on Saturday I have been thinking more about Scottish politics....so....

If you had a vote, would you vote for an independent Scotland? and I understand a lot of English (and welsh and NI) might have a strong opinion on this too.

Personally I would, I think Scotland would have a much better chance at being a leader in Green issues and more socially beneficial practices if we didn't have to go along with middle England. I think Scotland could be comparable to other northern European countries that (IMO) seem to do things better.

If the Tories get in to Westminster I feel sure Scotland would vote for independence and if the referendum was in a world cup year even more likely. :lol:

I don't want this to get into an argument :dave: , I am just interested as to what other eco/green/liberal type folks might think
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: would you vote for an independant Scotland?

Obviously down here in Darkest Devon.. I'm officially in England :wink: .. but I owuld not object to it..

I dont like this sort of half and half situation we have at the mo.. different rules same country.. seems sort of mad.. either we are one country.. or not. either is fine.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: would you vote for an independent Scotland?

That is interesting Red, because Scotland have always had their/ our own rules. The legal system is hugely different (from what I understand) and the education and health system have always been run separately too.

I agree with what you say though, on way or the other would make more sense
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

red

Same in Wales.. different rules re prescriptions.. education etc (subjects closest to my heart)

Not sure I see it as an eco move though.. if Scotland is more eco-friendly.. then it is anyway.. regardless of independence etc.

What I dont know.. and you probably do - if some services you have free that we dont.. such as prescriptions. is this taken from taxes collected only in Scotland or is that from the 'UK' pot ? IYSWIM
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Devolved government - certainly. But that should be extended to all regions.

Independence - no. I'm British before I'm English (having grandparents of all possible British varieties).
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Silver Ether

Annpan wrote:That is interesting Red, because Scotland have always had their/ our own rules. The legal system is hugely different (from what I understand) and the education and health system have always been run separately too.

I agree with what you say though, on way or the other would make more sense

I think Scotland should be in charge of England and the English should have all the benefits the Scots have ... sensible laws, sensible education, no student loans, no sats. Enough police, street cleaners and loads of other goodies but I don't have time to type them in ... :wink:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yep. I don't know all the ins and outs of history. The answer's just there. Here's my "yea" for the tally.

baldowrie

MKG

Independence - no. I'm British before I'm English (having grandparents of all possible British varieties).
Yep I would go with that. I live in Scotland and was born in England. Had Scottish Grand parents, and even a place bearing my Scottish surname. But above all I am BRITISH and ultimately born in Britain, part of the United Kingdoms

As the legal system being HUGELY different....amend that to slightly!

If you want an Eco move go down to the Lakes...they have been 'greener' for many years before it caught on to the rest of Great Britain. Out strips Scotland that's for sure which is still at the base of Eco living in most areas.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd vote for Scottish independence.

And Welsh too.

England, Scotland and Wales would all be better off for it.

I'd draw the line at Cornish, though. England owes more to Cornwall than it does to London, so I'd vote to move parliament to Tintagel.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

red wrote:
What I dont know.. and you probably do - if some services you have free that we dont.. such as prescriptions. is this taken from taxes collected only in Scotland or is that from the 'UK' pot ? IYSWIM
The way I understand it is that the Scottish executive is given a fund every year - much the same as NHS (England and Wales), Education (England and Wales), Defence are given. Out of this pot the Scottish parliament decides how it gets distributed (between health, education, local government, environment, justice, etc)
As far as I know this amount is a fair representation for the population of Scotland and consideration is taken for the fact that education and healthcare come out of this pot too.
baldowrie wrote:
As the legal system being HUGELY different....amend that to slightly!
We have a jury of 15 in criminal trials (rather than 12)
To be tried as an adult you have to be over 16 (rather than 18 in England)
We have a 3rd verdict of 'not proven'
You are entitled to trial before a jury (as far as I understand)

I'd say that they are pretty huge differences, we also have different names for legal professionals - advocates and solicitors
Corporate law and business law are much the same from what I know.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

IF IT WOULD MAKE ECONOMIC SENSE THEN YEA, i'D GO FOR IT.

oh, sorry. didn't mean to shout. toddler's been at my keyboard in my loo-break absence lol!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

If that is what the Scottish folk want then so be it. In my book that is what democracy is all about.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldfella wrote:If that is what the Scottish folk want then so be it. In my book that is what democracy is all about.
Well, I hate to disagree, but ...

Democracy in practice boils down to government by the representatives of the majority. I live in the UK, and so independence for Scotland, also a part of the UK, should be a matter for the majority opinion within the UK, not simply for a majority within Scotland (although I seriously doubt that a Scottish majority is achievable). That applies to any part of the UK and must do so unless we want UDIs from Mercia, Northumbria and Wessex.

There are economic issues which must be fairly dealt with, sure, but that comes through political dialogue, not by reclaiming ones ball and running home to Mama. My feeling is that there are some people who feel deeply that they belong to a Gaelic race apart and want to blame every ill upon the nasty Anglo-Saxons. It's absolute bull, and it leads to the kind of isolationist nationalism which is, to me, anathema.

Not that I'm calling anyone names or trying to start an argument, mind you. We English don't do that kind of thing. :wink:
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

John Headstrong

I would vote for an independent Scotland. there are many differences, many have been covered already.

BUT the bigger issue is England and English devolution. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have there own system of governance within the framework of the United Kingdom. but England does not have its own parliament, England is run by the UK parliament, there is not even a discussion of how a federalized United Kingdom would work, well not in England, the rest of the UK is discussing it.

English devolution is the answer to the "West Lothian Question"

Ellendra

Speaking from an outside perspective, Scotland is already assumed to be a separate and independent country, I find myself surprised every time I'm reminded, again, that it isn't.

I'm in favor of independence in general, be it economic, agricultural, political, or social.