People's reactions to what we see as "normal"

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: People's reactions to what we see as "normal"

Ratty wrote:No one I know (who is not on here) has got their heads around wee wipes yet. Why would I do that?! And why do I want to take on some scraggy ugly looking ex battery hens?
That just reminded me.... some of our family (and a friend) seem to have got the wrong end of the sick with this eco lark...

My sister said that I wouldn't want an ex-battery hen as I wouldn't be able to go out to the garden with my wicker basket and scatter the organic grain down for the beautiful chickens.... She really doesn't get it does she? :? (to add - my sister is a very down to earth, eco friendly, slumming it kind of a lady - in a good way) My poin is that some folks seem to think we are in this for the looks??? It can be really offensive.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

Annpan wrote:
My sister said that I wouldn't want an ex-battery hen as I wouldn't be able to go out to the garden with my wicker basket and scatter the organic grain down for the beautiful chickens....
My lovely wicker basket got eaten by the dogs.... my chickens aren't beautiful, they are scary, beady-eyed, feathered, killing machines, but I love them anyway...

I know what you mean about people thinking you're in it for the "look" of it.
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

My chickens are ex battery chickens, when i got them they were quite featherless and very depressed so to rear them back to health cost a bit of money buying organic feed and medicine from the vets, but i do not regret one penny as they know me as their friend now, and welcome me in the morning when i let them out to graze with a cluck shuffle and of course free range organic sunburst eggs.

Russ :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Bluemoon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've had plenty of similar experiences to the rest of you. What I find most annoying is when someone says: 'Did you see Eastenders last night?' When I say: 'No, actually we don't have a telly,' they insist upon telling me what happened, in excruciating detail. I've given up saying: 'The reason we don't have a telly is because I have no interest in twaddle like that', because they just don't seem to understand. Instead I now say 'No, I read pages 65 to 149 of a book,' Then I tell them what happened, with no explanation of the plot from pages 1 to 64, no introduction of the characters and no regard for the puzzled/bored looks on their faces. Fair's fair.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

:lol: :lol: :lol: @bluemoon!!!
that is classic!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Bluemoon, that was priceless! Thank you very much. Why do people who watch television or track the lives of others insist upon forcing such !*#! upon others. I find myself saying, "I'm really not interested.", "It's none of my business.", "Too bad you wasted your time." But, your comeback is beautiful!!!

mrsflibble

I just phoned my mum so ask what time she's dropping off my brothers and sister. she told me and i said, "oh good, that means I can still get to asda this evening".
she asked me how far asda is. I told her it's 1.5 miles... she cut me off mid sentence (I was going to say "each way") and she said the kids wont walk that far, can't I take the car. James is on days and anyway we can't fit us and 4 kids in it. I was gobsmacked and thought about saying "what, the invisible car I keep for when my cape wont lift me high enough off the ground and someobody desperately needs me lassoo of truth?!" but then I figured she'd either not get the reference, or she'd have a go at me so I left it.
they're bloody well GOING to do the walk and it will bloody well do them some good lol!!!
My sis wont have a problem with it, my brothers will be a little more in need of persuasion. ah stuff it I just wont tell them how far it is.

for those who don't get the reference: it's wonder woman. I'm referring to her lassoo of truth and to this:her invisible jet
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

mrsflibble wrote:I just phoned my mum so ask what time she's dropping off my brothers and sister. she told me and i said, "oh good, that means I can still get to asda this evening".
she asked me how far asda is. I told her it's 1.5 miles... she cut me off mid sentence (I was going to say "each way") and she said the kids wont walk that far, can't I take the car. James is on days and anyway we can't fit us and 4 kids in it. I was gobsmacked and thought about saying "what, the invisible car I keep for when my cape wont lift me high enough off the ground and someobody desperately needs me lassoo of truth?!" but then I figured she'd either not get the reference, or she'd have a go at me so I left it.
they're bloody well GOING to do the walk and it will bloody well do them some good lol!!!
My sis wont have a problem with it, my brothers will be a little more in need of persuasion. ah stuff it I just wont tell them how far it is.

for those who don't get the reference: it's wonder woman. I'm referring to her lassoo of truth and to this:her invisible jet

Lmao!! I love Wonder Woman!
Harm None!

mrsflibble

they were all fine, they all appreciated that I walk most places at the moment and can't afford to take all of them on the bus; I gave them the choice, bus ride to asda and no treats all weekend, or walk to asda and visit a café on saturday.

we walked.
And the joy of asda is they all actually appreciated the single pound they'd got for sweet treats because of Asda's own brand "3 for £1" bags of sweets.

So, yeah. friday night I made them walk to asda, saturday I made them walk into town again and have a wander round while I got various things from various cheap shops and the market. We then ended up at soph's favorite café where she introduced Tom, Ollie and Lucy to her "personal" waitress, Hayley. Then once we came home I got my sister roped into helping me with the washer, and even my non-outsdoors-y brothers got involved too. Family bonding innit lol!

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have to say, I have a similar attitude with my nieces and nephews.
Generally speaking, these days kids are just too damned lazy and when they can be bothered to go outside they're more concerned with drinking white cider and causing trouble! Though running from the scary p*ssed off dreadlocked guy tends to give them a fair bit of exercise!
Harm None!

pogostemon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi All,
This is a great thread :cooldude:
I've never driven (and raised three kids without a car - no one could understand that one.) I've always managed to get me, my partner & them wherever we've wanted to be. on time & happy.
Had more than one person say to me " Why bother you can buy it from the shops" when they find out I make soap. I give them a bar to try & then they know why :lol:
Endure the utter bafflement of energy salespeople when I explain that my gas bill barely breaks double figures because our cooking, heating & bathing comes from our solid fuel range. Daren't tell them that we find a lot of the wood for it - free fuel? crazy!
An interesting one has been asking for nettles/cleavers/ dandelions/ chickweed from gardeners & allotmenteers on local exchange scheme. Initial bafflement has changed to " Perhaps you could give us a talk on what you make with them" :lol: Seeing peoples faces when they come into the kitchen & see the "weeds" hanging up to dry is always good value.
Ditto walking home with the dog in tow and an armful of said weeds.
I used to get a strange reaction when I went shopping with my own bags - but it's good to see that this is becoming mainstream at last.
I know there's more but that'll do for starters :lol:
Pogo :sunny:
Love the art in yourself, not yourself in the art.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

pogostemon wrote:I used to get a strange reaction when I went shopping with my own bags - but it's good to see that this is becoming mainstream at last.
Pogo :sunny:
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. We're not wierd just ahead of our time!

Zoe

mrsflibble

indeed Thomzo, look at the recent boom in people growning their own food... most of the ishers I know were doing it way way way before it became fashionable lol!!!

QuakerBear

Dear Masco&Bongo,

now I know how I'm going wrong with my compost, thank you. I shall dance naked round it tonight.

Most of our friends are quite like us but many of my workmates are a little flumoxed.

I'm still learning to drive, oh, and I said if I did pass we'd still only have one car. That caused ripples!

We don't have Sky, wizzy high fi, in-car-DVD player i-whatevers. Why would I want it?

We don't eat meat everyday and we don't hunt out the cheapest meat possible. You'd think my bucksome-ness would be an indicator that I'm not malnourished!

I don't shave under my arms. Certian male colleagues were really grossed out by this so I asked them if they did. They said of course not. I explained that for hygine reasons they should since men perspire more then women. They still said I was gross.

Snapdragon kindly gave me some wool to practice spinning. I was so excited I told everyone in the office. It took some time to explain that by learning to spin I meant yarn not round and round on an office chair. :roll:

Oh the list is endless. At the end of the day it just comes down to saying I live like this because I've made positive choices not because I'm unable to live like you.
QuakerBear

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

QuakerBear wrote:Dear Masco&Bongo,

now I know how I'm going wrong with my compost, thank you. I shall dance naked round it tonight.
Don't forget to make up some mystical sounding chanting.... that's how it works :lol:

Actually, today, I've had a couple of people asking if they can buy eggs off me, as they've heard I have *gasp* .... chickens in my garden!!

I have said yes that's fine, and plan to put any pennies made into a tin for seeds etc next year :flower:
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/