Got the Signoff...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Got the Signoff...

That's good with the reduced hours from March. Glad to hear. However will you manage to get all the work that needs to be done before then in hand to make the season productive?

What was that you said? Not a chance. Hmm after two years when nothing got done till March middle of due to knee replacements, I know how it feels to get a late start.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

There's no reason you can't get some seedlings sprouting ready to transplant in March. Many things can't go out until then anyway - after the last frosts where you are.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo

Ah tis the ground preparation that I missed out for two years in a row with waiting for new knees to set in that heled me up. If the beds aren't prepared ....

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

There's time! I'm turning over as much as I can at the moment and letting the frosts do the job for me - the weeds have got a bit out of hand in some sections and I need to rotate the brassicas badly.

Hoping to pick up a trailer load of muck soon.
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)

Flo

Ah so I'm not the only one with raucous weeds :mrgreen: Winter doesn't seem to have deterred them up here. Have a round of sympathy.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Weeds are a prominent feature of my spaces... I think the worst thing is that I'm actually quite fond of a couple of types as long as all the crops/plants are getting along OK
AKA Simon.

ina

Viper254 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:17 pm Weeds are a prominent feature of my spaces... I think the worst thing is that I'm actually quite fond of a couple of types as long as all the crops/plants are getting along OK
Same here - I just fear that the neighbours think it's all wrong... The height of gardening for them is a bit of sterile lawn instead of chuckies all over. :(
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm amazed that this thread is somehow at the top of the forum after all this time - a couple of years now.

Cost of living got us in the end; whereas I had hoped before we could live on less, it became the case that we could barely live on what we had for a short while. I've got nothing to whinge about - I live in a dry and comfortable house with an allotment out back. The last couple of years has seen many people squeezed a lot harder than I.

However, I let the allotment go to rack and ruin last year, despite bumper crops of tayberries, cucumbers I loved more than life itself and decent tomatoes. It's a state out there.

But it's a new season fast approaching, the window sills are filling up with seedlings and a tipper of dung is arriving on Sunday. Time to try again.
AKA Simon.