Interesting situation in NYC

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
houndcoconut
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Interesting situation in NYC

Hey guys,

Got a unique situation in NYC. Was living there but am moving back to London later this year... problem is that I've got a lot of amazing, vintage furniture that I don't want to sell, but kinda need to either store it or move it to London...but I don't have a spot in London yet :D

Anyone got great ideas? :P

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Interesting situation in NYC

Not sure what they cost but there are lots of storage units in NYC that you rent. I would assume that there are similar numerous units throughout London too.

houndcoconut
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Ah interesting idea actually! Hadn't thought of that yet... think these storage units are safe enough from thieves/elements/etc.? Hard to know what really happens to the furniture after it's supposedly locked up :dontknow:

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

There are storage units that you lock with your own padlock.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

I don't know how you intend to ship furniture from NYC to London but I presume in containers. In Oz it is very common for people relocating to buy / lease a shipping container for transport and storage (most larger removalists also offer this service)

A new 20 foot container (33 cubic metres) will cost around $A 4 to 5 thousand and can easily be re-sold when you are finished with it. There are also heaps of second hand containers available but be a little careful with these - those at the cheaper can be damaged and leak; look for "one way trip" units.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

houndcoconut
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Yeah, will totally intend to ship furniture in a container once the apartment is sorted in London :icon_smile: So much to sort out! But I'm liking the idea of a storage unit in NYC for the meantime... this one perhaps? Was one of the first companies I read about when researching, but not sure if anyone has heard of them in NYC or London :study: Really excited for the move though, will be going from one hectic city to another, but as I grew up in London, feels like coming home :king:

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I was thinking more like companies like CubeSmart (I have no connection with them - other than passing one when I travel from the Bronx to Manhattan) https://www.cubesmart.com/new-york-self ... f-storage/