basket weaving

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

basket weaving

Anyone ever tried making there own baskets from their own weaving material (ie willow)

I saw it a few years back at a country fair type thing and it looked interesting.

Ann Pan

QuakerBear
A selfsufficientish Regular

Basket weaving

I've just compleated a course at Blackhorse Apiary, Blackhorse Lane, nr. Woking, Surrey in skep making.

Skeps are the old fashioned hives still pictures on jars of honey. They're made from thatchers straw and the caning that you use on chairs and can get from craft shops.

I was amazed at how easy it is, the materials are also pretty easy to get hold of.

The good thing about straw baskets is that they're waterproof. The ancient Egyptians used to use them to hold fish in, in their homes prior to eating. It's a wonderfully versatile technique and I'd highly recomend it to anyone.

If you're interested in learning more search for John at Blackhorse Apiary.
QuakerBear

possum

not yet, but I plan to, I have a couple of books and have been practising. I am partiularly interestested in using the materials I have to hand or can forage, eg cabbage trees (cordyline palm), rushes, flax (phormium)
I also think tree lucerne could be used.
Opinionated but harmless

QuakerBear

The old fashioned way of making skeps used blackberry runners as the binding because they're so long. I've heard they can be abit prone to snaping when you pull them though. Apparently you split them before using, though i don't know if you use them green or if you let them dry and then soak them before use.

Best of luck.
QuakerBear

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Not quite but I have made baskets for dolls houses. I use pieces of wire to make a frame and then thread string through. You can colour the string with tea to make a baskety colour. They actually look quite realistic, even if I do say so myself.

Zoe

red

not yet - but have the book.. and am eyeing up some nice honeysuckle coils that look good.. and hope to harvest some willow from my willow arch eventually
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

We have raupo (rushes) on our land, so I have gathered a few books on weaving. When we finally move there, I may actually do something about it!

Mosty book I have found have been for weaving with willow or other ropey/twiggy things, and not flat like rushes. Any experience here with weaving with rushes?

possum

Magpie wrote:We have raupo (rushes) on our land, so I have gathered a few books on weaving. When we finally move there, I may actually do something about it!

Mosty book I have found have been for weaving with willow or other ropey/twiggy things, and not flat like rushes. Any experience here with weaving with rushes?
I have a whole book on the subject, it looks easier than weaving with sticks
Opinionated but harmless

Stonehead

Re: basket weaving

Annpan wrote:Anyone ever tried making there own baskets from their own weaving material (ie willow)

I saw it a few years back at a country fair type thing and it looked interesting.

Ann Pan
We have plans to make our own, but as we only planted the osiers last winter it's going to be a while! Potato baskets (wide weave so the dirt drops through), vegetable baskets and square storage baskets (to go on shelves) are all planned.

flower
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have made baskets with willow I bartered for, does that count? :lol:

Basket weaving is one of those skills that is so satisfying, I heartily reccomend it.
Remember only to cut your willow 'withies' when the sap's down (in England that is between October and February) then you sort into bundles of similar length/thickness and store for use the rest of the year.

Once you master the basics you can make baskets out of all sorts of plants.
Use the following (also when saps down) fresh for the best results.

Brambles (wear stout gloves, take a handful of newspaper and give a good hard rub from tip to thicker end to remove the prickles)
dogwoods keep their beautiful red, yellow or lime green colours for years, and long, almost woody Ivy makes really lovely baskets too :mrgreen:

possum

We have loads of tree lucerne on our place and I was thinking about having a go with that, it seems very similar in texture to willow, but I have never tried basket making, so I keep putting off starting.
Opinionated but harmless

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Possum, do you mind posting the name and author of tht book?

possum

hi sorry for the late reply on the book front,
It is called Rush and Leaf craft
by
Germaine Brotherton
published 1977
ISBN 071340387
It is about 80 pages and I think the instructions are very clear, it you pm me with your email I can probably scan you in some of it as I think it is out of print. I would scan the lot, but with connection speed of sometime 31K it might take a while to send - but hey if you are into periodicals.... lol
Opinionated but harmless

Thurston Garden

In my Navy days, I knew quite a few folk who were sent on Basket Weaving Courses. It was also called going to see the Trick Cyclist. :tongue3:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

He he, a friend of mine said something similar to me when I told her I was interested in weaving... :mrgreen: