Gift Ideas

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Christmas presents

some brilliant ideas! really jealous of your friends and relatives :p

I got a book from the library about soaps (how to melt a basic bar of soap and add ingredients, also bath salts, bombs, scrubs etc). great ideas without having to make soap from scratch.
Also little pouches for different uses (could have zip closure, drawstring, velcro, buttons): coin purse, mini make up bag, bag for trainers, PE bag, small laundry/underware bag to put in the suitecase etc. You could only do one or make a matching set.

I am always worried about going all handmade for my presents so I always make sure it's something useful/edible. The last thing I want is the "what do you want me to do with that" look! An other option is a personalised gift basket, as Nomada mentioned (I love the baking idea!), it's very easy to adapt and doesn't need to cost a lot of money: gardening set, colouring set, knitting/sewing/crafts set, even a chill out set (a nice mug with hot choc/tea/coffee, biscuits/truffles, appropriate magazine/book, candle) etc...

noplasticbags
Tom Good
Tom Good

Just as a little extra I knitted a Christmas tree bauble (bought the pattern off e-bay, but I know about ravelry this year!) and gave one with people's bought presents last year. I did knit the what I called the kid's Christmas stockings (they actually turned out bag shaped with a drawstring top) out of old video tapes - plan to make some bigger ones and try them out as shopping bags and give some of those as Christmas presents.

So glad you've started this thread. I was thinking of starting when I come back indoors in October, but maybe I'm leaving it too late :santa:

Look forward to joyfully pinching everyone else's ideas.

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i blogged some of the home made things we made last xmas

http://www.tumblr.com/tumblelog/therussellfamilyco
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/

Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

This year I'm making everyone mittens. I'm going to start these ones next when I decide on a colour scheme. Mittens! I'm obsessed.

Also I'm going to make people little boxes of chocolates. I bought this book a while ago in a moment of weakness and I thought it would be full of recipes where you have to use a tiny bit of something that costs £20 + £15 postage, but actually it isn't, there are quite a few recipes in it that look doable with reasonably cheap ingredients, so we will see. I have made some fudge from it already and it worked.

The year of mittens and chocolates. There, that's me sorted out and it's only June. {Dusts lapel, smugly}.
Last edited by Susie on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

red

liqueurs are always a hit. as are handmade chocolate selection.. you can make truffles fudge etc
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Sally Jane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Last year I made lavender bags and herb bags, paired up and attached with ribbon to make them into shoe stuffers.
Also used some pretty fabric to make pocket paper tissue holders. And I mixed up some almond oil/essential oil blends and put into roller-ball bottles and labelled them as shaving oils for the (awkward) men!
My big problem is finding ideas for home-made gifts that don't require immense talent or dexterity, especially this year as I broke my wrist in March and it just isn't quite as mobile as it was. Also, 90% have to be posted, so jars of jams and jellies are out, though it's what all the neighbours will get again this year!
We all have two gifts we should try to use as much as possible - imagination and humour.
Imagination compensates us for what we are not.
A sense of humour consoles us for what we are.
And wisdom tells us not to worry about it!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Sally Jane wrote:90% have to be posted
Quite a few of my friends also make jams and chutneys. Last year I played around on the computer and generated a sheet of labels that I could give them for their jars. You could make up a pack with personalised jam jar labels, fabric lid covers, elastic bands, ribbon etc.

Zoe

Lost-in-the-Day
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Gift Ideas

I've just had a quick scan of the forum and can't see that anyone else has started this yet so I apologise for being the first, or if I'm not I apologise for not spotting the thread.

One of my "resolutions" back in January was to be more organised about making gifts for my family and friends at xmas time so early October seems a good time to start, the only trouble is I'm wondering what I could make them. Last year was a medley of pots, dream catchers and small sculptures. This year I plan to make some jewellery for my sister but beyond that I am a bit stumped for inspiration. :scratch:

What ideas have people had for this year so far? What's the craziest gift you've ever made? What's the craziest gift you've ever received?
Stop Animal Cruelty this Christmas- http://lost-in-the-day.blogspot.com/201 ... stmas.html

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gift Ideas

for kids - clear M&P soap with a plastic goldfish in it packaged in a plastic bag (like they used to sell them at fairs) or clear M&P coloured blue set in a cupcake cup with a rubber duck on top.

For babies - a quilt/wallhanging for the nursery, a fabric ball with ribbons sticking out from the seams.

For new mums - A pamper pack! (not the nappies - soaps, smellies, face masks etc).

For neighbours - homemade jam/cakes.biscuits all packaged in a little basket.

Haven't got a clue about stuff for men though :(

prison break fan

Really pleased you have started this, as I am always stuck for ideas. My daughter is making rag rugs and cushions and I am rather jealous I didn't think of it first! Please keep the ideas coming! pbf.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been thinking about making things like rum truffles and other nice chocolate sweets. Last year, we bought a tin of Roses for the Christmas, I always looked forward to these as a treat but they were such a disappointment, all my favourites gone and the chocolate tasted of soap and it left you with an oily feeling in the mouth, not the same as when it was owned by Cadburys. I think people would really appreciate something chocolately and hand made

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

the.fee.fairy wrote:Haven't got a clue about stuff for men though :(
Some of us do like jam/marmalade, and some of us have been known to have a bath at least once a year (usually around Christmas).
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

marshlander

Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

marshlander

Just bringing this back to the top as it's topical ;0
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

marshlander wrote:Can mods combine threads?

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... ke#p243435
Sure can, but it takes a modicum of head scratching. :scratch: :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.