Our new Quail Pen

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Our new Quail Pen

JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Our new Quail Pen

Nick, my first thought was 'oh, but it's so tiny!'..... and then remembered that it's for quails, so..... oh, it's so cute!!'.

Good job, have they moved in yet? Housewarming? :iconbiggrin:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

No we are getting them on wednesday. We are only getting 4 females to start with so it will be a huge space for them LOL.

red

i want quail

it looks good - do quail walk up ladders? how do you get in to get the eggs?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I honestly thought, when I read the title, that you'd gone in for making small quills. "They'll be difficult to hold", I thought, then opened the thread and looked at the photo ...

Anyone with spare brain oil, please forward to ...

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

theabsinthefairy

That looks fantastic nick69. Four females should be very happy in there. If you decide to get a male in future, just increase the ratio to 1 male to 6 females and they should be quite happy.

P.S. Even though they have a lovely new home to move into, expect the four females to fight, they like to establish a very clear pecking order amongst themselves.

I have kept quail for the last 3 years and I think they are excellent value for money (cost of feed to number of eggs). As well as being very entertaining.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for the comments.
The House is 2ft square so should be ok but I have designed it to be expandable. We have found somewhere local to get them (Chinese Painted) and have arranged to go over on saturday.
As we are new to keeping poultry, I will have more questions. 'Do they walk up ladders?' I dont know yet but im guessing we will find out soon lol !!
Absinthfairy, what bedding would you recommend? also we were going to get cocoa shells for the run. What are your thoughts on that? Its clean, dries nicely in the sun and allows the water through in the not so sunny weather.

On another plus side, I have had 2 people ask if id make them a run like ours which is a nice compliment.

theabsinthefairy

I keep mine on hay, they are not great nest builders but they do like to shuffle it about a bit. I have also had them on sawdust with no problems at all.

I don't know about the ladders, but they are very inquisitive and like to scurry about, so will probably go up - if you have problems put some of their food up it like a trail, as they are very greedy little things they will most likely follow the food trails.

They are also very prone to flying straight up in the air when startled so make sure that the overhead grilles are nice and safe for them to bash their heads on!

They are not keen on getting wet from rain above nor are they keen on wet and muddy conditions on their feet so you may want to leave them with a covered section of the run in inclement weathers so that they can still be out and about.

Ask away - I do not always follow threads I have posted on, so if you want something specific you can pm me.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

marshlander

Well impressed, especially the coach lamp - how posh! lol

I was wondering about the 'ramp' too; whether it could do with slats accross so they don't slide down. An excellent job!
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

marshlander wrote:Well impressed, especially the coach lamp - how posh! lol

I was wondering about the 'ramp' too; whether it could do with slats accross so they don't slide down. An excellent job!
LOL the coach lamps are as good as useless!!
Its not 100% finished yet, I still have to put little slats on the ramp and finish the other side. The house has a Stainless steel shingle roof too.

The Pen is going to be called 'The Arc' and we have names for them already. 'Henry Jones Jn', 'Indiana', Dr Jones and Harrison Ford. Now before anyone says anything, I know they will all be girls but hey this is 2010!! :mrgreen:
Yes I do like Indiana Jones films!! LOL